Game Texturing/Lighting and Hardware Utilization

Metaphase

Hey guys.

From what I have been able to deduce from pictures and the E3 video, the general game play and mechanics of DU look pretty awesome. Although I know what has already been disclosed most probably only barely scratches the surface on what will eventually be available, I am really curious about finding out more about what the aspirations of the developers are for the level of detail graphically will be. Are there any technical details available with regards to hardware requirements such as GPU and graphic memory and how far rendering will be pushed for textures and lighting?

Although I fully understand that by pushing hardware to the limits can result in a smaller player base due to the cost of hardware, I for one would love to see it push my Titan X to it's limits with detailed textures and dynamic lighting etc. In my opinion, it's things like this that could really set this game apart from the likes of Elite and No Mans Sky.

For the mean time I am playing catch up on these forums to find out all I can so apologies if this is something that has already been discussed.

o7

We don't have any hard information as far as the requirements DU will require. Though, I imagine they will be somewhere between the mid - high end range. Since there is no instancing/loading in DU, render distances are going to be as far as you can see pretty much. 

Hey guys.

From what I have been able to deduce from pictures and the E3 video, the general game play and mechanics of DU look pretty awesome. Although I know what has already been disclosed most probably only barely scratches the surface on what will eventually be available, I am really curious about finding out more about what the aspirations of the developers are for the level of detail graphically will be. Are there any technical details available with regards to hardware requirements such as GPU and graphic memory and how far rendering will be pushed for textures and lighting?

Although I fully understand that by pushing hardware to the limits can result in a smaller player base due to the cost of hardware, I for one would love to see it push my Titan X to it's limits with detailed textures and dynamic lighting etc. In my opinion, it's things like this that could really set this game apart from the likes of Elite and No Mans Sky.

For the mean time I am playing catch up on these forums to find out all I can so apologies if this is something that has already been discussed.

o7

Welcome Metaphase.  The DevBlogs will be your friend, that is the majority of the "official" information we have so far (other than the tidbits of information that Nyz tends to drop on us at times).

Keep in mind that it is all very very early in the process and pretty much wide open to discuss things.  Throw whatever you think might be cool out--none of us are shy  LOL

Welcome Metaphase.  The DevBlogs will be your friend, that is the majority of the "official" information we have so far (other than the tidbits of information that Nyz tends to drop on us at times).

Keep in mind that it is all very very early in the process and pretty much wide open to discuss things.  Throw whatever you think might be cool out--none of us are shy  LOL

Thanks PetdCat. Very early days indeed but just enough info to keep us hooked. :) I will certainly keep an eye on the DevBlogs. It will be great to see if we can have access to the same sort of things as in Eve such as an externally accessible API systems so that some of us can develop out of game integration into things like Jabber, TeamSpeak and forums etc.

well time to start building a new computer lol

Plenty of time to start saving! :) Depending on what the final specification requirements of DU are, I might actually consider building a new rig to coincide with the release day! :)

• 6 months later...

I seen this thread has been quiet for a while but I was wondering if anyone had heard about the specifications for this game, like with all games I bet its a save say on release there will be a minimum and recommended spec, however, I would really like to try and play this game at its best and am therefore looking to upgrade around release date, so any info as to the current spec of the dev's machines that are used to run the game smoothly so that we know a ball park figure for awesome smooth gameplay would be great to know :D

I seen this thread has been quiet for a while but I was wondering if anyone had heard about the specifications for this game, like with all games I bet its a save say on release there will be a minimum and recommended spec, however, I would really like to try and play this game at its best and am therefore looking to upgrade around release date, so any info as to the current spec of the dev's machines that are used to run the game smoothly so that we know a ball park figure for awesome smooth gameplay would be great to know :D

Afaik they run the pre alpha with a gtx970. High end systems today will most likely be mid range when the game releases

Well, they switched to Unigine 2 engine a while ago and that should tell you a lot about what we can expect.

Game is mostly procedural and engine itself is designed to handle and partition space so is never going to exceed some amount of triangles.

How much triangles your rig can handle? You can even check that today by downloading unigine benchmarks.

That would be a good indication if you need new rig or not.

https://unigine.com/en/products/benchmarks/valley

Sure they can add some tings on top. LUA being run on client side hogging your CPU more, GUI interface etc. But rendering engine is the power horse here.

Unless in the future they will switch to something else... ;)