Indigenous Populations

Calitar

Forgive me if this has been suggested already. I scanned the idea forum and no title jumped out at me as a duplicate.

I think it would be awesome that as we, the players, are discovering planets we can run into indigenous populations with varying intelligence/tech levels. This would add for an interesting wrinkle where you as the discovering player have to decide if you are going to ignore, trade, conquer, or any combination therein with the population you find.

Do you decide to trade them higher tech than they have and give them spaceflight? Do you decide they are sitting on something really shiny that you want and it's best to kill them off to get it? Do you decide to place a protection on them and guarantee no one else can come along and harm them? The scenarios are nearly endless.

I think this could also introduce the concept of computer generated quests. I know that PvP is a large part of this game, and I also know how much I dislike the general MMO idea of quest hubs, but I think that if done correctly this could be another aspect of gameplay that players could enjoy. I envision quests to be more along the lines of Civ V city-state requests, i.e. "destroy the neighboring tribe", "establish a trade route", "give us your technology". The decisions that are made about what requests to do for what price would allow for different sectors of the galaxy to have more variation and diversity.

This could also be a mechanism for NQ to distribute new "alien technology" or other features in a more seamless feeling so that it doesn't seem like a new technology or feature suddenly appears. It also allows for some developer oversight or control over an area to help guide the game in a healthy direction if it suddenly starts going off the rails by driving how aggressive in pursuing their objectives the indigenous population is.

i think that is a grate i deer because it would be cool to see an indigenous populations form a caveman equivalent to super advents and also these  indigenous populations could be hostile or friendly.  

Its... logical for Indigenous to be on habitable planets. However I believe that that sort of scope of NPC size doesn't really fit in with the Dual Universe that's being created.

I've just seen people asking for NPC's for various things, markets among other things, and those are already pushing it a little for a game thats primarily about Social Interaction.

Logical. But also difficult. and will require a lot of Maintenance. I think, the Devs are trying to make this a player-made universe. As in player-everything.

Ugh, I don't like shooting ideas.

I think, the Devs are trying to make this a player-made universe. As in player-everything.

I don't think that and indigenous population mechanic would necessarily prevent this. In fact, I think it could enhance a "player-everything" universe by providing a mechanic in which a player gets to customize a region of space. Your interactions with an indigenous population would probably be different than another player and that would mean your experience will be different.

As an example, instead of having other real players mine ore for you, you could make a trade deal with the indigenous population. That would mean you have an advantage in resources and would also make you a target for PvP so your advantage doesn't become too great. I think the mechanic would add the ability to further immerse players in a universe of their creation where their actions have direct consequences on their interaction with NPCs and other players.

Something living on the planets beyond the odd deer would be nice, on top of all the natural threats.

I'm thinking:

• Some kind of man eating bug like infestation common on a few planets (think a scaled back starship troopers)
  • Some ancient drones protecting those alien ruins the devs mentioned
  • Booby-trapped wrecks from battles gone by

Something living on the planets beyond the odd deer would be nice, on top of all the natural threats.

I'm thinking:

• Some kind of man eating bug like infestation common on a few planets (think a scaled back starship troopers)
  • Some ancient drones protecting those alien ruins the devs mentioned
  • Booby-trapped wrecks from battles gone by

Id love to see an infestation type enemy that slowly grows (Warframe's Infested, The Flood from Halo) and takes over player made buildings that are either overrun or abandoned. I'd love to see a colony desperately fighting to defend itself from waves of organic enemies.

Would be fun to cleanse a completely overrun planet as well.