Server and Client Side Scripting

Ripper

I've been thinking about the ramifications of scripting.

If scripting is server side, then there would need to be a limit to the processing power made available to each player. Otherwise, a player with self replicating constructs could overwhelm the servers (even with the proposed server technology).

On the other hand, if the scripts run client side, they could be much more robust. Unfortunately, they'd only run when the player was logged in. Another benefit to client side scripts is that the player could save variables locally.

Malicious behaviour could be an issue for both solutions. In the server side solution, a malicious player could execute a worm of some sort (via self replicating constructs), while the client side also has the potential of unforeseen malicious activity.

I would expect severe limitations on a server side script. With more functionality for client side scripts.

The combat, damage, inventory, and economic model should be entirely protected server side.

Of course, dedicated players could build their own "servers" to run client side scripts 24x7x365. There could even be a "hosting" industry that could crop up.

Food for thought...

Do you have any information on how scripting works in its entirety? I have heard of people using scripts from games I've played, but I've never been told(or looked up) how it works. ** I should state this is for educational purposes, I don't plan on using said info. I have dreamed of a game like this, and would't do anything to take away from it! **

Malicious behaviour could be an issue for both solutions. In the server side solution, a malicious player could execute a worm of some sort (via self replicating constructs), while the client side also has the potential of unforeseen malicious activity.

Based off this example, maybe constructs can only be placed by the player. As well as only being able to place things at a certain pace, as if it had a cool down timer. This would also block out macros, but I don't use macros. I like being able to say "Yea I slaved for that"! haha

I agree that all "save data" should be server side. games like DayZ do this. The only thing saved client side is the name and a 3D model of you with your gear.

Thats quite an important question, because minerscripts, sentries etc. all have to run while players are offline, thus being serverside, but at the same time it is as you said, self replicating robots or anything else with a massive amount of scripts (large arrays of sensors combined with weaponry for example) would cause a big strain for the servers, especially if we really get 10k+ active players.

But i dont think that clientsided scripts are a feasable option, because it would most likely heavily increase the traffic, which isn't good either.

Most likely your suggestion with a limit to processingpower for players should be a good way to go, even tho it completely eliminates those self replicating robots, which probably quite a few players wanted to create.

Vylqun,

Of course, you're right.  But think about this.  Client side scripts are naturally limiting, due to bandwidth.

Maybe, a combination of client side, and server side scripts???

It can be done serverside. The issue is how often a script is executed, and the execution time of the script. A hard limit will need to be placed to keep poopheads crashing the server with 

while true do
end

(psst, there is no lua syntax highlighting in the forums)

Most scripts would probably be much more complicated than a mod ai from a regular mmo. I would hope in the script editor it well test the execution time before the code gets published in a live environment.