Gas Giants

bdole92

So i don't know if this is something that has been previously mentioned, but i really hope gas giants are in the game! Their exclusion from No Man's Sky ( a game that, from what i can tell, Dual Universe has been compared to a fair amount) really saddened me, and i think they would fit perfectly in DU. Aside from providing fantastic looking background scenery, i think they could really drive player behavior on the mining/industrial side. All you have to do is add a gaseous resource to their upper atmosphere, design a system where players can mine that resource, and then make the "Gas Miner" juuuust large and complex enough that it encourages players to mutually own and operate one, rather than create ones themselves.

Players could also go for more of a "cloud city" vibe, and just straight up create their bases in the atmosphere of the gas giant! Having your Organizations HQ be a giant floating fortress in the clouds of a Gas Giant would be something i think a lot of players would go for, just for the coolness factor.

In addition to the prospect of Gas Harvesting, something else Gas Giants would bring to the table is the possibility of Jovian systems. In real life, there are 67(!) known moons of Jupiter ranging from just 5km in diameter, to 5268km, (Ganymede), which is 8% greater than Mercury's!

Imagine the possibility of finding a few dozen moons orbiting a large gas giant, all of which could provide interesting biomes, rare materials, and fascinating landscapes, all within spitting distance of each other! The potential gameplay value is tremendous, and could spark some series emergent geopolitics. Imagine a "Jovian War", where various factions all strive for political domination of a complex, multi-body polity stretched across dozens of moons! How much more epic would that be then boring old ground-wars on a boring old rocky planet?

Alright, i admit that i'm biased, but i really do mean this as a suggestion to the game developers, Gas Giants and Jovian systems offer an incredible range of gameplay opportunities and i hope they are, at the least, investigated as an option

This, I like this. It makes me thing of "The Arbiter" level from Halo 2. I am big into things from my favorite games being remade.

I can't find an image to link right now.... I don't remember all the details on what it was tethered to though.

The universe will be proceduraly generated, so it is possible for these things to happen. If multiple moons around a planet of certain size is something it might make. 

EDIT: Here is a pic that the link works forthearbiter1.png

What a great idea! I would love a floating base deep in the clouds of a gas giant, slowly sucking resources from the atmosphere around it.

i think we will have to wait to see how the developers plan to implement gravity. Maybe there should be some sort of airship part to help float or you are going to need a lot of power to keep your extractors afloat!