Some RP related questions for eveyone!

TrihXeen

I had a post in General, and I was told about The Library being the place for RP talk. I haven't done a lot of RP myself, so I'm not quiet sure how things have worked in different games/situations.

So, here we go:

1.) What kind of RP are you into?(PVE, PVP elements and what not)

2.) Do you prefer RP in a larger scale, or a smaller one?

3.) What would you want to Role Play? 

4.) Would you be interested in a general backstory, and insert your character into that story?

Anything else that you would want to see in RP feel free to write it down below!

Thanks for taking the time to read, as well as any feedback given!

-TrihXeen

I'm into various RP elements but I prefer the peaceful type, as I've never been. A PvPer. But never afraid to delve into it.

As for scale, its never really phased me, small, large, its just more or less people. :D

I prefer a back story that I can then improve and add to with no strict on the development of the character. I like things being open to free will as they should be. People will realistically change their mind quite drastically every now and then and this style allows for that.

I'm not sure about downtime, I don't really mind either way. RP will keep happening regardless really.

If I had interest in your story I certainly wouldn't mind playing a part on it. :D

I prefer a back story that I can then improve and add to with no strict on the development of the character. I like things being open to free will as they should be. People will realistically change their mind quite drastically every now and then and this style allows for that.

Right. I'm thinking about writing a story. Saying, here is the backstory, go! From there see how people play it out. I would partake in the story, but only as a minor character so to speak. What people do with the RP story is up to them.

Right. I'm thinking about writing a story. Saying, here is the backstory, go! From there see how people play it out. I would partake in the story, but only as a minor character so to speak. What people do with the RP story is up to them.

They're the best types of stories, I guess you just have to watch and make sure that the story flows somewhat well and isn't outside of the bounds of reality and people aren't just making things completely ridiculous. I mean yes, it's RP, but there has to be a limiting factor somewhere, right? Everyone in reality is a minor character in a bigger story, so I mean being minor is what everyone who participates will be...

...unless they become some sort of grand space dictator and rule a good portion of the games universe with an iron fist. :D

HAHa yea. That why I was talking about having set times where during, say, this 4 hour period(when most are on) is when major events can take place. Otherwise, the story line won't be affected to a large degree. It would make sense for things to happen "behind the scenes" with groups. 

I would probably try to find a few people to be actual "leaders", who would keep the story going and what not, but not actually have a lot of influence, or be able to make decisions without RPers on.

That way someone doesn't go, welp, everyone made up and I'm the leader. I feel that RP should be mostly like improv comedy, where you always agree with what is said. Obviously that would work in RP, but something close to that type of rule should always be in place. For example, if someone said "I just picked an apple", reactions would hopefully be something like, "Where did you find a- We will discuss this later..." or "ok". 

I know that true RPers that like doing it for fun know whats up. The basic rule, in me opinion, for it would be: If it can't happen in the game, or actually be done in a reasonable amount of time, it isn't allowed.

HAHa yea. That why I was talking about having set times where during, say, this 4 hour period(when most are on) is when major events can take place. Otherwise, the story line won't be affected to a large degree. It would make sense for things to happen "behind the scenes" with groups. 

I would probably try to find a few people to be actual "leaders", who would keep the story going and what not, but not actually have a lot of influence, or be able to make decisions without RPers on.

That way someone doesn't go, welp, everyone made up and I'm the leader. I feel that RP should be mostly like improv comedy, where you always agree with what is said. Obviously that would work in RP, but something close to that type of rule should always be in place. For example, if someone said "I just picked an apple", reactions would hopefully be something like, "Where did you find a- We will discuss this later..." or "ok". 

I know that true RPers that like doing it for fun know whats up. The basic rule, in me opinion, for it would be: If it can't happen in the game, or actually be done in a reasonable amount of time, it isn't allowed.

I guess some form of leadership is going to be one of the only ways around getting people to stick within conventions. But you have to keep a tight lid on what they are able to write or change themselves. As some people, from experience, get a little power hungry, haha. 

But that being said, I agree, if they are true RP'ers, they won't mess with things and continue to create an ever growing story that may just keep being written throughout the life of this game. 

As some people, from experience, get a little power hungry, haha. 

Whose to say assassinations are out of the question? lol, that would be great to see.

*cough**cough* Did someone say RP? I will probably try to be a rather irational syndicate/pirate company leader establishing a iron rule over my space and spreading through and infiltratingother empires trying to spread criminal activities (black markets, illegal fighting clubs) and making my money through piracy and then smugling the pirated goods to the black markets.

I think that the word peaceless describes me best  :P

*cough**cough* Did someone say RP? I will probably try to be a rather irational syndicate/pirate company leader establishing a iron rule over my space and spreading through and infiltratingother empires trying to spread criminal activities (black markets, illegal fighting clubs) and making my money through piracy and then smugling the pirated goods to the black markets.

I think that the word peaceless describes me best  :P

I look forward to your interjection in any RP I might create or be a part of, and watching it become part of the story :D I see everything as a challenge, not a threat :P 

As much fun as RPing can be, I don't feel we have enough to go on to really make something work. Mind you, that's just how I feel and that shouldn't discourage you or anyone else from going forward with this. I just think it'd be better to wait and see what NovaQuark comes out with for us to work with. 

That said, I do thoroughly enjoy RPing and some good old D&D games. I won't make it my gaming communities' primary focus though, but I certainly plan to encourage it to have fun with. 

As much fun as RPing can be, I don't feel we have enough to go on to really make something work. Mind you, that's just how I feel and that shouldn't discourage you or anyone else from going forward with this. I just think it'd be better to wait and see what NovaQuark comes out with for us to work with. 

That said, I do thoroughly enjoy RPing and some good old D&D games. I won't make it my gaming communities' primary focus though, but I certainly plan to encourage it to have fun with. 

I was more or less thinking of writing a story that is somewhat independent of DU's main story, with one of the things that links the two is that fact that people left the Arkship and went to planet X, and now there are two factions at war over who rightfully owns an alien artifact. Although it is, in fact, just space garbage. just for an example.

Ideas come to me fairly easily, and I consider myself to be a creative person. So, I try to feed it when I get the inspiration, instead of being stagnant on it, and having to return to it later.

Also, I would like to start writing something as early as possible, so I can get details ironed out, then if info comes out that is majorly contradictory to my story, or something that I want to be in it, I can change things around. Who knows, maybe RP will be on the back burner for everyone for awhile. I know it might be for me, until I get a secure location and everything gets going.

I was more or less thinking of writing a story that is somewhat independent of DU's main story, with one of the things that links the two is that fact that people left the Arkship and went to planet X, and now there are two factions at war over who rightfully owns an alien artifact. Although it is, in fact, just space garbage. just for an example.

Ideas come to me fairly easily, and I consider myself to be a creative person. So, I try to feed it when I get the inspiration, instead of being stagnant on it, and having to return to it later.

Also, I would like to start writing something as early as possible, so I can get details ironed out, then if info comes out that is majorly contradictory to my story, or something that I want to be in it, I can change things around. Who knows, maybe RP will be on the back burner for everyone for awhile. I know it might be for me, until I get a secure location and everything gets going.

I gotcha, and sounds good really. Valid points all around.

If you ever want some outside help or inspiration, feel free to PM me. I've written my share of short stories, backstories, and a novel to know a thing or two. 

If you ever want some outside help or inspiration, feel free to PM me. I've written my share of short stories, backstories, and a novel to know a thing or two. 

I may take you up on that offer soon. Thinking about writing something that would coincide with the lore. 

I have an idea for a somewhat "forced RP" environment, or at least an environment in which the only thing to do is to RP, which is somewhat dependent on the mechanics of how stargates are constructed based on the interview with CaptainShack.

We've been told that to construct Stargates, players may have to send probes out that will travel for months in real-time through space before reaching their destinations. 

I am wondering if, instead of sending probes, we can make the journey in crewed ships.

If so, I'm thinking about putting together a crew of dedicated players who think they are capable of living on a ship for several months working together (to feed everyone, provide for everyone, keep things interesting) to make such a journey.

The downside to such a plan is that players would probably have no way of improving their skills while travelling in deep space on a ship. There wouldn't really be much to do, aside from farming, than to RP for several months. Perhaps even with the RP rule that if you die on the ship, that you respawn back on the origin planet. 

I suppose I haven't fully thought it through because it's depending on feedback about the stargate/probe mechanics. 

I like this idea, and I'm all for it. I wanted to spend some time just flying through space. As long as we construct a statue to be put in place next to the destination, I'll do it. This also means I may make a secondary account for this(yes, ill pay for two accounts), and keep my main at the place of origin. I would only be playing my main for a shorter time, but then it would have a better start than flying through space for months.

I prefer my own backstory and honestly I really like Social RP.  Like talking, banter, arguments and such.

That is why I SOOO want cantines and like, where there can be barfights and much more xD

For me roleplay is more connected to the overall gameplay then a story or scenario, for example when I am actively patrolling a system I will do so from an in-character perspective, whatever it'll be simple exploring or PvP, yeah it means that everything that happens within the game is part of the my character's "life" so to say.

I have been thinking about my character, what she was before the great exodus (if I got it right) and as a RP-PvPer she will definitely lean towards military and PvP stuff.

I don't mean to sound like an ass but I rather have any form of conflict come up from in-game interactions then because of a backstory, roleplaying characters pre-launch is also an option.

I prefer my own backstory and honestly I really like Social RP.  Like talking, banter, arguments and such.

That is why I SOOO want cantines and like, where there can be barfights and much more xD

Hmmm, well, I never said anything about writing a script. Just a backstory. Where it goes from there, I don't care. Everyone fights? Go for it. Reverse everything I might write in the story? Sure, go for it. I like coming up with stories, and writing. No one would have pre set roles and everyone would come up with their characters.

I guess I will edit my first post so this thread stays on topic for what I'm looking for.

Alright guys, lets get back to the point of this thread. 

We're here in this thread to specifically talk about some potential RP elements and input on what (we all) would potentially like to role play in the game.

With the current game backstory as reference what happens to you, or your character, after you leave the drop ship?

Example (and my response) to original thread post:

My characters' life experience, to lead her to being put in the ship in the first place, was that of a convict. But for some reason the historical data was lost in transit (maybe intentionally by the AI) and now the choice kill or rebuild you life anew to build up those around her is a possibility and she chooses to create a religion to teach to others. So that she can instill the problem she herself had which was a missing; morality. 

Me I'd like to keep my RP to a smaller scale to just my character. It's fine that I make the decisions in the game based on that "script" but maybe it shouldn't affect my fellow players as much.

And to be honest I'd probably have to disclaimer that to my peers that I may make bad decisions because my character has a bad habit of blowing stuff up just for simple tasks. That and I probably wouldn't role-play the entire time. Sure I'd keep my overall goal and stay in character for a lot of it. But ships don't blow them selves up ya' know =D.

If my peers had characters of their own I wouldn't mind going with the flow and interjecting persona into interactions (Dealing with over hormone blockheads that hit on her and them dealing with being force fed soap box style preaching) while just having fun pursing the overall goal that brings our characters together. Like building up just enough supplies to leave the planet and find another, there may be just a handful of humanity but its still just too crowded.

Well there's my 2c. Kinda eager to read what others have in mind and keep a fire going here while we wait, so we're not just aimlessly drooling over the pre-alpha screen shots waiting for the game to come out xD.

I had a post in General, and I was told about The Library being the place for RP talk. I haven't done a lot of RP myself, so I'm not quiet sure how things have worked in different games/situations.

So, here we go:

3.) Would you be interested in a general backstory, and insert your character into that story?

Anything else that you would want to see in RP feel free to write it down below!

Thanks for taking the time to read, as well as give feedback!

-TrihXeen

I think your questions are limiting your ideas about Role Playing.   If your intent is "Give a scenario and and have players interact with each other in said scenario."  This is Role Playing.  If your intent is "Have someone tell the story of a character in the Dual Universe setting."  This is also Role Playing though in a different respect.  In either case they both could encompass all the questions you put forth and more.  Role Play tends not to limit itself that way.  I think a better question is "What would you want to Role Play?  Ser_Aison_Ironfist_Bold previous post is a good example.  Though I must say from his other posts I've read.....  I think he was Blackbeard in a previous life.  This has me worried. :mellow:

I think your questions are limiting your ideas about Role Playing.   If your intent is "Give a scenario and and have players interact with each other in said scenario."  This is Role Playing.  If your intent is "Have someone tell the story of a character in the Dual Universe setting."  This is also Role Playing though in a different respect.  In either case they both could encompass all the questions you put forth and more.  Role Play tends not to limit itself that way.  I think a better question is "What would you want to Role Play?  Ser_Aison_Ironfist_Bold previous post is a good example.  Though I must say from his other posts I've read.....  I think he was Blackbeard in a previous life.  This has me worried. :mellow:

Look, I'm just wondering what people like doing in their RP. REGARDLESS of what I plan on doing, I just want to know about what people like about RP they are currently doing or have done. I'm not looking for feedback on my ideas(right now). I just want people to answer my questions so I can get a feel for the community. This isn't a time for "constructive criticism" since I haven't presented you with any content or ideas. 

Look, I'm just wondering what people like doing in their RP. REGARDLESS of what I plan on doing, I just want to know about what people like about RP they are currently doing or have done. I'm not looking for feedback on my ideas(right now). I just want people to answer my questions so I can get a feel for the community. This isn't a time for "constructive criticism" since I haven't presented you with any content or ideas. 

Fair enough.  Please understand I meant no disrespect but I think I am missing something here.  I can understand your wants from this post ↑ easily.  However please understand how I could misconstrue your original post as you putting forth ideas instead of getting a feel for the community.  And you did invite feedback.

So, here we go:

3.) Would you be interested in a general backstory, and insert your character into that story?

Thanks for taking the time to read, as well as give feedback!

-TrihXeen

Once again I meant no offense and just want to point out why I misunderstood you. :(

It's all good. I didn't intend to sound offended. I welcome feed back when it comes with what I'm looking for as well. I think you were the second or third person to offer feed back, but no other information was given in regards to the questions. But, YOU, did offer up another question to ask which I appreciate! and I will add it even though it should be common sense to just say such things. haha XD 

My intent is to write a backstory, much like there is a backstory to the game, that players could say things like "someone tried that before, trust me, it's a bad idea".

Like I have said before, it would be more information to help develop characters in this game where the only lore we have is of one persons experience getting on an arkship, waking up 10k years later, then finding alien crazy things happening.

So this is where my backstory would come in. Say I wrote something about 2 organizations. One of which wanted to meet aliens and further their knowledge. The other, wanted to enslave any aliens they find. That's all, more or less, that people would have to work with. There would be no story being told by one person. There would be no restrictions. Just a backstory, that people could choose to have their character be linked to.

People will already be doing that to some extent with the lore of the game, so it shouldn't be a big deal for someone to write some other lore for people to have the option of saying, yea, I wan't to be a part of that or I want to RP with that being part of what my character believes in. It's much like those who want someone to start a religion that they can say they are apart of.

Once again, I don't intend to sound offended in any way. I just tend to over explain myself sometimes. XD