Variety of planets

Moneymade

Hi there ;),

DU sounds really interesting.

With it´s procedural Universe will there also be "unreal" planets like in No Man's Sky or Xenoblade Chronicles X?

(I know it's  kind of a silly question, but I really like exploring such unreal planets where you see for example forests with strange looking trees that glow at night an flying islands an so on)

Hi there ;),

DU sounds really interesting.

With it´s procedural Universe will there also be "unreal" planets like in No Man's Sky or Xenoblade Chronicles X?

(I know it's  kind of a silly question, but I really like exploring such unreal planets where you see for example forests with strange looking trees that glow at night an flying islands an so on)

We don't know the specifics of the planets that will be in DU, but we do know there there will be different planets and different biomes, as well as all the planets being procedural.

This gives a good chance for there to be a planet out there that is unreal or hostile, and since gravity doesn't affect planets (when you mine a floating chunk of mountain) i don't see why there can't be floating islands. It has been stated that if you dig out a chunk of planet that no longer has any ties to the planet itself it will float, so since the code to support it is already there DU devs would just need to add it into procedural creation part so that some planets are created like that :)

nora

If they just use the planets we know about now and add them into the procedural generator, then that's a lot of diversity right there. So things like planets with live lava flows would almost be guaranteed. Not to mention arctic worlds, worlds where we could never land because of the atmospheric pressure, temperature etc, so I'm sure there is a huge amount of planets that can be procedural generated in a game universe.

• 2 weeks later...

I too hope there will be some truly Alien - weird and wonderful, planets to explore with Strange animals and bizarre vegetation. I admit it would be just slightly disappointing if the game was a little like the Stargate TV show, were in most alien worlds looked suspiciously like Canada ;)

• 2 weeks later...

Hoping for a nice selection of planets, with their own distinguishable environmental features, for variety and a sense of exploration. I enjoy that feeling of looking forward to seeing what's around the next corner, or in this case, what's on the next planet.

Well, we will have to consider planets as item drops in MMOs. Procedural generation is a bitch. 

P.S. : What the flying planet-sized mango is an "organic" planet? O_o Who came up with that idea? A Green Lantern fan? :P

i would say use planets like these as a basis for biomes. Implement planets with several of the biomes, as in Minecraft. (using only compatible biomes ofc)

Yeah, this is just a generic list;  it's a pretty good example of the general classes of planets that could appear in the game.  Of course, each individual planet will likely be procedurally generated, with unique biomes and weather (plant morphology, color scheme etc...), but they will inevitably fall into one of the categories shown above.

There could also be some truely unique planets that don't fit into the scheme, and these could be set up like super-resource locations where, if you control one, you're basically top dog.  That's more of a late game strategy, but its where most of the action will be once the community has matured to the point of large-scale conflicts, and politics and all that fun stuff.

Since we are on the topic of planets. I was showing my brother this game and he seems very interested in it. He had asked several questions about building and such which i explained to him. We kept talking and he had said one thing that stood out. He said "Why don't i hollow out the planet put a ton of engines on it and make that my ship?" Got me to thinking is that possible?

Since we are on the topic of planets. I was showing my brother this game and he seems very interested in it. He had asked several questions about building and such which i explained to him. We kept talking and he had said one thing that stood out. He said "Why don't i hollow out the planet put a ton of engines on it and make that my ship?" Got me to thinking is that possible?

A couple of things:

1) In most games planets are static.  They don't use real world physics to place a planet in orbit around the sun, basically they tell the game where the planet resides and you need to go to that specific location in order to get to the planet.  There is no ability to move a planet around in the game it's position is usually hard coded.

2) Planets will be up to 100Km in diameter, and the surface is a voxel environment down to several hundred meters.  I haven't done the math but that would be an immense number of voxel units to render, so only parts of it are rendered within the game that are close by your position.  So basically what I'm saying is that you can't have a ship the size of a planet, it's just too big. 

3) Small asteroids may be different though.  I'm not sure how those will be handled in the game engine, it may be possible to mine one until it is hollow and attach engines to use it as a ship or portable mining colony.

A couple of things:

1) In most games planets are static.  They don't use real world physics to place a planet in orbit around the sun, basically they tell the game where the planet resides and you need to go to that specific location in order to get to the planet.  There is no ability to move a planet around in the game it's position is usually hard coded.

2) Planets will be up to 100Km in diameter, and the surface is a voxel environment down to several hundred meters.  I haven't done the math but that would be an immense number of voxel units to render, so only parts of it are rendered within the game that are close by your position.  So basically what I'm saying is that you can't have a ship the size of a planet, it's just too big. 

3) Small asteroids may be different though.  I'm not sure how those will be handled in the game engine, it may be possible to mine one until it is hollow and attach engines to use it as a ship or portable mining colony.

I kinda figured it would be close to an impossibility. I have seen people talking about building huge stations and/or rings around a given planet to mine it all up etc. I would think that a station once it exceeds a certain mass would end up becoming a fixed object in space incapable of being moved. If that's not the case then the 8km wide station NQ had showcased in the latest video would be moveable correct?

I kinda figured it would be close to an impossibility. I have seen people talking about building huge stations and/or rings around a given planet to mine it all up etc. I would think that a station once it exceeds a certain mass would end up becoming a fixed object in space incapable of being moved. If that's not the case then the 8km wide station NQ had showcased in the latest video would be moveable correct?

I believe in the video the developers were moving things around for the purposes of creating a specific scenario for the clip.  In the game there will likely be different classes of structures, and when something like a space station is built it won't be able to be moved (this is pure speculation of course).

Getting back to planets though, another thing I would like to see is different atmosphere categories that would include things like the density (or atmospheric pressure), chemical makeup, opacity (how cloudy or foggy it is), and temperature.  

I believe in the video the developers were moving things around for the purposes of creating a specific scenario for the clip.  In the game there will likely be different classes of structures, and when something like a space station is built it won't be able to be moved (this is pure speculation of course).

Getting back to planets though, another thing I would like to see is different atmosphere categories that would include things like the density (or atmospheric pressure), chemical makeup, opacity (how cloudy or foggy it is), and temperature.  

Actually, mass is the key reason why things will be immovable, at least for the purposes of combat. Sure, the station was 8 km long and has a certain mass, which renders it impossible to budge no matter how many engines you strap on it, as engines have a certain push they can give.

The devs classified all creations in the game as "constructs". What makes a ship a ship is its shape. Engines on the back and on the bowel or spine to give it maneuverability and it's a ship. A station could use a thruster or two, but that would be just a gimmick to make them move around a planet, so, you know, pointless in my opinion :P .

Also, yes yes yes on the atmospheres. Make a planet require certain protection from biological hazards. Make the atmosphere require a biodome for you to live in it. Make radioactive planets full of heavy elements like rhenium instead of iron, to create an incentive for players to set an outpost there.

Actually, mass is the key reason why things will be immovable, at least for the purposes of combat. Sure, the station was 8 km long and has a certain mass, which renders it impossible to budge no matter how many engines you strap on it, as engines have a certain push they can give.

The devs classified all creations in the game as "constructs". What makes a ship a ship is its shape. Engines on the back and on the bowel or spine to give it maneuverability and it's a ship. A station could use a thruster or two, but that would be just a gimmick to make them move around a planet, so, you know, pointless in my opinion :P .

Also, yes yes yes on the atmospheres. Make a planet require certain protection from biological hazards. Make the atmosphere require a biodome for you to live in it. Make radioactive planets full of heavy elements like rhenium instead of iron, to create an incentive for players to set an outpost there.

I agree having different atmospheres would be great. I wouldn't mind seeing random weather patterns as well. Rain Snow Hurricanes Tornado's Blizzard etc. Just don't make the rain that annoying minecraft style, instead add some depth like slowly add the rain drops to down pour's etc. you know like a real storm!