Combat while captaining a capital type ship?

I just wanted to touch on the combat mechanics of larger ships. I've played ALL of the space sim/building games available and I dislike how they all work.

I have been playing a game called Dreadnought recently and this is the ship combat style I'd like to see in games like this. Unfortunately it's not an open world voxel building game.

Currently in other ship building games you can really only place turrets that automatically track (and suck at it; empyrion). Yes you can also man the turret, but then you can't fly the ship.

I'd rather have a free looking reticle and where you aim while you are flying is where your turrets will aim and shoot, flying would be wasd like if walking. Of course you would have to intelligently place turrets because the starboard side wouldn't be able to fire to the port side, and top/bottom etc. Then there would have to be two different flight models for fighter style and capital ship style...It's what I hope for, though.

On a capital-size ship, there would almost certainly be a multiperson crew with designated roles such as piloting or weapons management. Assuming you have a dedicated weapons technician though, then yes I would definitely assume there will be free-firing functionality.

You have to remember it will all depend on the type of capital you are flying, but I believe free look aim via a weapons technician/gunner would be grand, if not, an AI gunner that has some abilities (this is still speculation, but completely possible) so, I guess it could be both free aim and technically AI.

I don't believe anyone knows the specifics on how targeting will work. only that it will be lock on based, in order to make it easier for the servers to compute all the damage being done.

It's likely going to be stat based and similar to EVE, they may spice it up a bit in some way I don't know. weapon modules and targeting isnt something they have talked about much. they've been pretty tight lipped for a while on dosing out the good info, probably because they were stressing out on E3, being invited last minute and all.

I've been thinking about and I have doubts that ships will break apart voxel by voxel. Because that would be far more data to process than just the targeting stuff, and it would also be a pain in the cellular structure of my body to have to fly around in an EVA suit hand repairing thousands of voxel blocks on a ship after a battle.