Wreckage and Ruins

37 members have voted

1. 1. Wreckage?

• First Option BOTH human and alien designs
    • First Option ONLY human designs
    • First Option Only alien desings
    • Second Option
    • Third Option
    • I dont want any off the above! (no wreckage)
  2. 2. Ruins?

• First Option BOTH human and alien designs
    • First Option ONLY human designs
    • First Option ONLY alien designs
    • Second Option
    • Third Option
    • I dont want any off the above! (no ruins)

So after thinking a bit about ways to convey and tell stories in DU, i though about Wreckage and Ruins you might find that arent result of player interaction (combat).

First Wreckages: The Idea is very simple, the game would spawn wreckage in a system/orbit of a object, that could be discovered by explorers and salvaged for recources, components and technology.

So how would the game create wreckage?

First option: The game takes predefiend already damaged models and places them randomly across the system. (allows for alien AND manmade objects)

Second Option: The game takes normal player made models from the ingame market that are actualy aviable to be bought by anyone and damages them randomly before randomly placing them across a already discovered system to explain why the system hasnt been scanned already.

Third Option: Player made AND predefined Wreckage

Second Ruins: For Ruins we have basiclly the same options, if structures work like ships for the market. BUT structures open more gameplay options because they could trigger safe areas around them, be an automated market, a tomb that goes through the whole planet that you have discover and explore or just a simple trap.

I'm not sure how to vote on this. My first idea is the game is supposed to be after we leave earth cause of the impending destruction from the super nova so we are on a new world and We are thinking of wreckage and ruin found on the new world? If that's the case then there are definietly alien design. Even if it would be considered homosapien type beings they are not human as we think cause of cultural differences and the buildings would have a perhaps different design cause our unique history. Unless you're taking in the wreckage is from our "landing"? 

I'm not sure how to vote on this. My first idea is the game is supposed to be after we leave earth cause of the impending destruction from the super nova so we are on a new world and We are thinking of wreckage and ruin found on the new world? If that's the case then there are definietly alien design. Even if it would be considered homosapien type beings they are not human as we think cause of cultural differences and the buildings would have a perhaps different design cause our unique history. Unless you're taking in the wreckage is from our "landing"? 

Wreckage both in space and on the planet also of course there should be no ruins and wreckage in the alioth (starting) system but in the other systems you cant be sure if someone from your ark hasnt been there already, and remember you were asleep for 10.000 years in the ark that is a lot of time, whole civilization or even races can rise and fall in that time and it is possible that some other humans from your own ark where already there

I like this idea. One way of explaining it would be that another Arkship could have traveled though a wormhole, for example, and it only took them half the time to find a good planet to land on. Then they would have had time to build up and explore, before the civilization fell in on itself. Be it from war or plague. Would also allow for another story or two to be added to the game.

Another thought that i had, in the backstory didnt it discuss that numerous arks were built, some would be lost, some would make it? That could imply that one of the others was succesful at finding something maybe 5,000 years before and they have been exploring and fighting as well and we could stumble upon some of that. Or maybe we find the remains of an ARK ship that wasnt as lucky as ours...

In an older game called Freelancer this was touched upon in the endgame, you could explore more systems and if you knew where to look you could find one of the colony ships that didnt make it to a planet but had been mortally damaged in space.

I think with all of this in mind, if the Devs decide to they could practicaly introduce both alien and human wreckage. Of course i have a feeling that we will be making plenty of wreckage of our own in the game in PVP areas ;)

• 2 months later...

"The developers have let us know that there will be ruins and there will be items to be found in those ruins. Whether they will incorporate alien or human designs remains to be seen. However, I would want those ruins and wreckage put quite a distance from Alioth. If they will contain rare resources or advance blueprints, they shouldn't be easy to discover."