Space Systems and Different Sky Boxes

Archonious

Hi,

It is very hard to predict what we will have in next year. So what you guys think about different skyboxes based on system location? If to look teaser, there is simple black sky with stars. Nice, but if whole space would looks like that, it could be not so interesting.

As I wrote in other threads, I play Space Engineers, MOD creators designed lots of different skyboxes, which make game really nice looking. Even when one of the backgrounds start annoy, player can easily change it. So it creates extra feeling of something new around player (even nothing changed in game). I would like to post few link on steam pictures (if that is against rules, sorry, so just delete it then):

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=375490938

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=438716711

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=567152822

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=523925570

*sorry for link on steam MODs, but forum do not allow to post pictures

These pictures are real skyboxes in game.

Now imagine, you explore the universe. Make warp jumps and skybox become different. If there are systems, there could be one (or few similar) skybox for whole system. If there is one universe (like in Space Engineers), it can be smoothly changed over hours of fly. As I wrote before, it is very hard to discuss, because information is very limited. But I know for sure, if background/skybox would vary, it will make more positive feeling while exploring universe.

So what you think guys?

Thanks,

Archonious

This should be a thing, have a skybox that is uniform but changes as you change position in a relative way. i.e, the universe backgrounds color would eventually change, but it would take moving system to make it do that. 
That's just my take on it anyway. 

I don't think this game will be using generic sky boxes, as all of the stars you will see are actually there. Perhaps space anomalies could be randomly spawned to add more variety to the sky if that's what you are talking about. Things like black holes and nebulae would work.

I don't think this game will be using generic sky boxes, as all of the stars you will see are actually there. Perhaps space anomalies could be randomly spawned to add more variety to the sky if that's what you are talking about. Things like black holes and nebulae would work.

It could be background colour and texture with all physical stars.

Space is black. Space does not have texture unless you count what fills it. What fills space will be in the game for players to interact with, otherwise one could travel endlessly and never reach that vast object he/she wants a closer view of. If this game wasn't a single shard universe it would work, but sadly for this case it is not.

Now for virtual reality instances in game... hurray! Yes it can be done!

I did like that aspect of Space Engineers, mainly because the default sky box was terrible and there where some really cool ones on the workshop.

Of course, in Space Engineers, there are still no actual stars. The only 'real' things that are in the sky are the planets and asteroids. So I'm guessing the sky box will be more similar to Elite Dangerous where the sky is filled with actual stars that you can travel to.

So I think the sky box texture should just be an ambient spacey glow at most.

i dont think there should be skyboxes, as someone already said, the sky isnt colorful, and most pictures of nebular are colored after they were taken because they just don't emit light in the visible spectrum.

I do hope we will have some nebular to actually explore them and thus see them in the night sky, but i wouldn'twant artifical textures of things that aren't present.

i dont think there should be skyboxes, as someone already said, the sky isnt colorful, and most pictures of nebular are colored after they were taken because they just don't emit light in the visible spectrum.

I do hope we will have some nebular to actually explore them and thus see them in the night sky, but i wouldn'twant artifical textures of things that aren't present.

If there would be option - to see fully realistic or more comfortable game, I would choose more comfortable (I believe many players as well). Especially if that do not affect on game play. Do not like to watch black screen with dots most of the time.

you can reach everything you see. So the classic skybox won´t be necessary for DU. The skybox will be a living, active universe around every planet. The skybox for DU is more a question what lies behind the borders of the living, evolving universe.

So the skybox itself will be just black. :lol: