About the building mechanic (refering to the trailer)

Slaxx

so as i saw in the trailer, apparently when you build things, it goes in "levels". but i would like to have the building be completely open, but then if you want to connect to existing constructs, add a "clip" feature.

please consider this, nova.

I'd look to Everquest Landmark, they used the same engine, though they gated the tools behind progression that was a grind so I wasn't able to get dirty with the building... but the Vox system is minecraft on steroids different levels of block sizes and shapes that all seamlessly fit, with material that has stats attached to be added based on skin look.

It is voxel, so you can design blue prints for your structure. Maybe, with the Lua language being in it, you could program something to "clip" together. You would have to add that to all blue prints you make. That would be a bit harder to build, and might be time consuming.

Each corner of each "voxel" has a home point.  When all eight are at that home point it forms a standard cube.  But they can each be moved a certain distance from that point to form more complex shapes.

In Landmark each corner can be moved up to 1.5 blocks in any direction, outside of the standard cube shape and inside of it.

I don't think we know exactly how far we will be able to move them in Dual or how we will be able to move them.  But from the one screenshot of the voxel tools at work it looks like it should be similar to Landmark.

The important thing to remember is that you can't move a block,  they're locked to a grid.  All you can do is repaint them or change their shape.  so they can't really "snap".  Or i guess you might say snapping is all they can do.  You can make a block look like it's off the grid, but technically it is still locked to that location.

Although once you build a ship you will be able to make that move! :D  but that's a different story.