Exploration - How will it work?

Imagine a group of players teaming up and do everything needed to create a big ship. After weeks(months?) of struggling your shiny new ship lifts of the planet shoots a wanna be pirate or two and flies of to places where never a player has been before. Or at leaast they intend to do it. I believe this will be a common goal in this type of game.

So, how will this look like? Just point at a direction and follow your nose? Will there be some scanner results indicating a direction? Will this ship 'jump' anywhere, use wormholes, some slipstream? How will they be motivated to head here or there?

And if they know where to fly, will they encounter anything but empty space with suns, asteroids, planets and moons? Dangers? NPC of some kind? Ruins, artifacts, pieces of some mysteries worth exploring? Anything?

I'd love to be able to give you a long post detailing the in's and out's of exploration, but sadly i can't as we just don't know that mechanic.

It has been sad that they are going to try and make exploration have a purpose so you don't just go from planet to planet scanning over and over again like Elite, because to be honest that's boring as hell. 

But getting from planet to planet we don't know yet other than point in direction and go. But given that the universe is supposed to be infinite this could be both a pain and a good thing. 

If you point in direction without any idea where you are going you have a very good chance of finding a place that no-one has been to before, but you also run the risk of not finding a place for a very long while.

We know that we will have to fly normally for the first part of the game to expand from Alioth before we get FTL devices, and we know we will have to rely on FTL devices before we get StarGates. So getting from planet to planet is more or less detailed in the forums, the thing we do not have any information of is how to locate the other planets.

I would imagine that there is some form of onscreen scan that can be done, because think about it, how do you get from solar system to solar system?, or even galaxy to galaxy? Its a given that you should be able to 'see' your way around the insides of a solar system as when you leave the first planet you might not have FTL so you need to 'point in direction'. But other than that we don't know.

There are countless posts on the forums about FTL, Explorations, Types of Space, Empty/Full Space areas. For any information on anything to do with your point (other than locating planets) i would suggest having a look around. Might find something useful.

However that being said i did a quick search and found some that might interest you :)

Some Player Ideas here: https://board.dualthegame.com/index.php?/topic/327-theres-gold-in-them-there-hills

Thoughts on FTL ect: https://board.dualthegame.com/index.php?/topic/431-thoughts-on-stargates-and-ftl/

Some Stuff About Universe Size: https://board.dualthegame.com/index.php?/topic/469-scale-of-the-universe/

https://board.dualthegame.com/index.php?app=core&module=search&do=search&fromMainBar=1

nora,

There are countless posts on the forums about FTL, Explorations, Types of Space, Empty/Full Space areas.

Countless is a big number ;)  I did not start this thread to discuss player ideas. As you said, there are already discussions. I did start it in the hope to get answers from the devs. I am still wondering how they will hook players who don't intend to pvp around the clock and exploration may be a hook. So how do you intend to create it?

edit: just found this one:

Technology will evolve as the game evolves :)

I can't say much about the Lore for now as there is a short story on it in the pipeline coming soon (before end of summer we hope!)

Let's just say that there will be a - temporary - technological regression at the beginning (there will be an explanation for that).

So no FTL drive available right from the start. But on the long term, yes, there will be but with heavy limitation, involving "stargates" (something that players will be able to build). However, to be able able to "warp" without stargates, if allowed, will be very very tricky, and limited in some other ways.

Best regards,

Nyzaltar

So does this mean, you first have to leave Alioth, scout the area (while being hunted by 24/7 pirating scum) eventually find something which enables you to start building some real big construct (while being pestered by 24/7 pirating scum) and once you left the starting system anyone near is able to follow you (including the 24/7 pirating scum)?

This would make it virtually impossible for a small crew (under 10 people) to leave a planetary system on their own or to really 'explore' the galaxy with anything smaller than a big guild or corp. Am I right?

Edited by Goemoe

Countless is a big number ;)  I did not start this thread to discuss player ideas. As you said, there are already discussions. I did start it in the hope to get answers from the devs. I am still wondering how they will hook players who don't intend to pvp around the clock and exploration may be a hook. So how do you intend to create it?

edit: just found this one:

So does this mean, you first have to leave Alioth, scout the area (while being hunted by 24/7 pirating scum) eventually find something which enables you to start building some real big construct (while being pestered by 24/7 pirating scum) and once you left the starting system anyone near is able to follow you (including the 24/7 pirating scum)?

This would make it virtually impossible for a small crew (under 10 people) to leave a planetary system on their own or to really 'explore' the galaxy with anything smaller than a big guild or corp. Am I right?

In the very early game, yeah you are probably right. However, it can be assumed that the devs intend for the overall level of tech available to the players to increase as time goes on, up to a certain point, so i think its entirely possible that some time after launch a relatively small, dedicated crew could embark on some serious exploration, but doing so will be a suitably epic journey. Hopefully the devs will provide us with ample opportunity to explore in the starting solar system, so we aren't prevented from experience that side of the gameplay right from launch.

Of course, its still pretty early so nobody really knows too terribly much about a lot of the game mechanics