What will be at the center of planets?

If someone, or a group of players, were to spend enough time mining on a planet, what would they find as they approach the center?

Will the physics be realistic enough such that they would be crushed under the immense pressure, or would they be able to continue on to the center?

Would they encounter a molten core, or are the planets just solid chunks of rock?

Perhaps there is some variety to the planets, both in what they are composed of on the surface and at their cores?

Crack the core, implode the planet? 

I really hope there is some realism that puts you under either more and more intense pressure or heat to avoid having people digging straight through without consequence. A molten core would surely stop people in their path. 

Crack the core, implode the planet? 

I really hope there is some realism that puts you under either more and more intense pressure or heat to avoid having people digging straight through without consequence. A molten core would surely stop people in their path. 

For a little bit at least

For a little bit at least

Only until they, well, inevitably find away around it. 

People are crafty buggers. 

Hopefully you'd be able to harness geothermal energy.

Forgot to mention this in my above post, this is an interesting concept for some sort of possible renewable energy source, would make running large installments a bit more feasible. :D 

If someone, or a group of players, were to spend enough time mining on a planet, what would they find as they approach the center?

Will the physics be realistic enough such that they would be crushed under the immense pressure, or would they be able to continue on to the center?

Would they encounter a molten core, or are the planets just solid chunks of rock?

Perhaps there is some variety to the planets, both in what they are composed of on the surface and at their cores?

The centre of the planets is something that might have or not have limitations or even be allowed to be reached. Nyz has commented that there could be temperature related issues with trying to reach the centre of the planet,

I would imagine that they will not allow you to go to the centre because it might give weird coding issues and physics once you get there, like a centre point of gravity that you cannot get out of because there is nothing 'below' you. Same reason why SE doesn't have a centre, there is some odd returns from the code involved in making the planet that just doesn't allow it.

However, link to the thread that has Nyz idea on planets and centres: https://board.dualthegame.com/index.php?/topic/414-underground-possibilites/

nora,

The centre of the planets is something that might have or not have limitations or even be allowed to be reached. Nyz has commented that there could be temperature related issues with trying to reach the centre of the planet,

I would imagine that they will not allow you to go to the centre because it might give weird coding issues and physics once you get there, like a centre point of gravity that you cannot get out of because there is nothing 'below' you. Same reason why SE doesn't have a centre, there is some odd returns from the code involved in making the planet that just doesn't allow it.

However, link to the thread that has Nyz idea on planets and centres: https://board.dualthegame.com/index.php?/topic/414-underground-possibilites/

nora,

You really are just full of links.

Thank-you for highlighting that Nyz has said something to do with it, it's good to see that it is under consideration. I never really caught on to the idea behind why SE had no cores/centers, but I guess that all makes sense now. 

But, still, a temperature mechanic might be the best bet as you can use it for several things, but also have it be used in varying degrees depending on the planet type, etc. 

Actually I wonder more about the programming for terrain voxels themselves.  Are they effectively an empty space until you start digging into it like Space Engineers?  If they are this will affect how the in game physics and rendering work.  Just wondering.  Will there be temperature?  I haven't gotten through all the devlogs yet so this may already be answered.

More o less, in the real world at the center of a planet you don't feel any gravity force; the matter of the planet is pulling you equally in every direction! Therefore, you will experience zero gravity...

If you find a way to withstand the pressure, obviously!  :P

I have always wondered about that.  Why would there be any pressure at all if the gravitational forces pulling things inward reaches zero point in the center?  (Aside from unequal pull due to rotation and shape of the earth, thought experiment is all.)

I have always wondered about that.  Why would there be any pressure at all if the gravitational forces pulling things inward reaches zero point in the center?  (Aside from unequal pull due to rotation and shape of the earth, thought experiment is all.)

The pressure don't depend by the effect of the gravity on your body; it depends by all the matter that is pulled from above your position... And in the center of a planet ALL the matter is above you, in every direction! :D  

With a game this big, I'm half expecting the Devs to make it possible. Just think about it. In a universe with millions of players, there's going to be that one guy who, despite the risks and chances of imminent death, will attempt a mission to the core. "To hell with going up, we want to go down!"

If it was made possible, it could serve as a late game supply of renewable energy, very expensive and rare materials, and the means to create powerful items, weapons and gear. I can think of a few ways it could be made possible. You don't have to let players go down, why not be able to create a machine that can withstand the pressure and heat. Set it down at a point where players themselves can go no deeper. Perhaps this machine sucks up molten ore and rock near the core. Turn said molten rock and ore into equipment!

Other people think of spaceships like the Millenium Falcon.

Others get a semi-boner by thinking of shark-like battlecruisers out of the Lost Fleet series.

Others think of the redonkulous ships out of Star Trek.

And here I am, having a full-boner for a ship shaped like a jackhammer, pounding holes and leaving planets in my wake that look like a cheesewheel.

Other people think of spaceships like the Millenium Falcon.

Others get a semi-boner by thinking of shark-like battlecruisers out of the Lost Fleet series.

Others think of the redonkulous ships out of Star Trek.

And here I am, having a full-boner for a ship shaped like a jackhammer, pounding holes and leaving planets in my wake that look like a cheesewheel.

This sounds like a dream. (Que Sonne)

• 1 year later...
5 minutes ago, Kuritho said:

EXTREME NECROPOST:

Ok, now we know that you can only dig like 5 KM downwards, what should be the "blocking point"? Are we gonna get bedrock like Meinkraft?

Or will we just get THE ULTIMATE UNENDING barrier?

There is no limit to how far you can dig in pre-alpha.

Once you reach the center, which will take approximately 5 hours if you did nothing but dig straight down nonstop, you will bounce around the absolute core like a spring. 

That is to say, if you reached the center of Alioth, you would bounce around the "room" you dug out. 

Just now, yamamushi said:

There is no limit to how far you can dig in pre-alpha.

Once you reach the center, which will take approximately 5 hours if you did nothing but dig straight down nonstop, you will bounce around the absolute core like a spring. 

That is to say, if you reached the center of Alioth, you would bounce around the "room" you dug out. 

So, basically, what you're saying is a Bounce House?

Hehe, I've always wanted to be a bouncer.

English (Translator used)

If I dug into the middle of Alioth and put a TCU, then Alioth belongs to me?

German (original)

Wenn ich bis in die Mitte von Alioth gegraben habe und da eine TCU setzte, gehört dann Alioth mir ?

Die Waldfee

1 hour ago, huschhusch said:

If I dug into the middle of Alioth and put a TCU, then Alioth belongs to me?

Die Waldfee

Sorry bud, but that won't work.

There is probably a limit on the Y axis of how high/low something can go.

And if you could place a TCU on the core, you'd just put it on the tile directly above it.

Google Translate German:

Sorry Knospe, aber das wird nicht funktionieren.
Es gibt wahrscheinlich eine Grenze für die Y-Achse, wie hoch / niedrig etwas gehen kann.
Und wenn du eine TCU auf den Kern legen würdest, würdest du es einfach direkt auf die Fliese legen.

You wouldn't actually be able to fit a TCU into a territory zone at the core. 

All of the territories stretch all the way down to the core from the surface (this is all probably going to change, I'm just saying what I know about pre-alpha from PAX), eventually meeting at the point in the center. 

So not only will digging to the core be difficult because of the time and effort involved but also because at some point you are crossing hundreds of territories if not thousands with every dig action you make. At some depth you wouldn't actually be able to place a TCU because I presume, it would cross over many territories at once just because of its size. 

So while there is something that should theoretically happen when you hit the core, reaching it could be impossible simply because you're bound to run into a territory owned by someone that doesn't want to give you dig permissions. 

Because of this side effect of the territories stretching to the core, I'm of the personal opinion that there shouldn't be a digging limit at release. It wouldn't really be feasible for anyone to actually go down that far (most especially at release) because of the territorial issues.  

No problem, then I take just the next small moon which still has no TCU.

German (original)

Kein Problem, dann nehme ich halt den nächsten kleinen Mond der noch kein TCU hat.

Die Waldfee

8 hours ago, yamamushi said:

You wouldn't actually be able to fit a TCU into a territory zone at the core. 

All of the territories stretch all the way down to the core from the surface (this is all probably going to change, I'm just saying what I know about pre-alpha from PAX), eventually meeting at the point in the center. 

So not only will digging to the core be difficult because of the time and effort involved but also because at some point you are crossing hundreds of territories if not thousands with every dig action you make. At some depth you wouldn't actually be able to place a TCU because I presume, it would cross over many territories at once just because of its size. 

So while there is something that should theoretically happen when you hit the core, reaching it could be impossible simply because you're bound to run into a territory owned by someone that doesn't want to give you dig permissions. 

Because of this side effect of the territories stretching to the core, I'm of the personal opinion that there shouldn't be a digging limit at release. It wouldn't really be feasible for anyone to actually go down that far (most especially at release) because of the territorial issues.  

Wait a second here though... By this logic, this means that if you dig down to the center of a completely uninhabited planet, and place a TCU at the center, it would be residing in thousands of territories at the same time. What happens then? Instant world domination?

Wouldn't be able to place it most likely, as it would cross over all of the territories at once, and they can only occupy one territory at a time.

You'd probably end up with a red "ghost" element when you try and place it (similar to how voxels ghost red if they can't be placed how you're trying to place them) and it wouldn't be placeable.