Tech Tree

jeg623

Maybe you could make a procedurally generated tech tree? With random values?

Could you elaborate more as to your specific meaning? What is a tech tree (like a skill tree?) and how would it be procedurally generated...also with specifically what type of random values?

personally i thing the only "tech tree" should be weather you have the stuff to build what you want to. a tech tree will just make it that the game will be a grind and maybe for some people (me) will be less fun.

As far as i read it they plan to do a "learn by doing" system, no real tech tree in the conventional sense.

It would be nice if skills, that you trained up to a certain level, branch out to new, related skills, thus making up the tech tree, but i think the final form of leveling/skilling strongly depends on the actual content which will be released.

As far as i read it they plan to do a "learn by doing" system, no real tech tree in the conventional sense.

It would be nice if skills, that you trained up to a certain level, branch out to new, related skills, thus making up the tech tree, but i think the final form of leveling/skilling strongly depends on the actual content which will be released.

I could see this working. Seems like the most logical. Like forging metals could lead to blacksmithing, since you would learn to work metal to some degree. It would make the most sense, as well as making to where you don't have to have different characters or people for different things.

The problem with that is that "research" (4x style) isn't a very engaging or active of an activity. If they need to be unlocked, or even simply as a way to introduce new Elements to build with, I would much rather find and scan Elements by exploration (Subnautica style).

I think tech trees when thought of as "research" and developing new technologies introduced to the game is something I think is essential.

It takes years to develop high tech industry and output devices such as the Atomic bomb, and future propulsion systems such as FTL, and Jump.  to have a craft system that allows the research of new technology definitely would invigorate builders such as myself to the science and research of new technologies thru trial and error, and discovery of new elements; not to mention the discovery of alien technology recovered.

Also, having a character that has developed a wide band of technology know how could become very important to corporations, and governments that may develop in this game.  I think finding alien components and learning to reverse engineer them and then construct a working model is a side game I am willing to play.

I think tech trees when thought of as "research" and developing new technologies introduced to the game is something I think is essential.

I have to agree here, players can probably research their way through with tech. Upgrading to better items.