I have been thinking about a way to do communication without teamspeak and thought about a number of ways to do it,

some ways would be

via voice and chat channely deicated to local area, groups, factions, global (system), galaxy/universe wide

the second way would be allowing you to create completly custom chatrooms both for typing and voice chat (like teampspeak where you can create extra rooms on a server

another possibility would be a basic chat completly used via chat commands (minecraft chat/stellaris chat)

the last and in my opinion best way would be to do it like the "acre" (advance combar radio enviorment) mod for arma, creating a itam that allows you to join specific frequencies and even using speciall encoding procedures to avoid being spied on, this would allow for a great diversity of gameplay from factions using multiple frequencies to have a strictly organised comm system, for example group a has 2 comm officers a and b, a is responsible for commands from the higher ups and relaying them to the group leader, b responsible for leading orders further down the command chain.

Or a radio station opening on a frequencie broadcasting news and playing music all COMPLETELY player driven.

Basic functions of acre demonstrated:

wow ingore this while i edit it

Great idea,

having all these levels in the organizations and roles and stuff it would be silly not to have matching chat channels as well be it text of voice.

Being able to send/share other stuff with specific groups would also be important. I'm specifically thinking of way points and/or targets

I think it would be an interesting mechanic to require radio towers in order to receive and transmit radio over long distances. Perhaps requiring satellites orbiting a planet to relay radio from the ground over long distances too.

Satellite dishes on ships could function as receivers as well.

Maybe it's asking for too much realism, but I'd like a bit of delay when communicating over radio with people in space. Although I suppose they could also go the Eve Online route and have a back story explaining how FTL communications were solved by some major tech advancement. 

good luck getting the leader of another faction on exactly you teamspeak channel and then room to talk to him for about 2 minutes about some kind of treaty

What? Do you even know what team speak is?

While this idea is cool, most groups will just use team speak for voice chat. Easy to setup, and easy to use. 

What? Do you even know what team speak is?

While this idea is cool, most groups will just use team speak for voice chat. Easy to setup, and easy to use. 

i know exactly what teamspeak is, im saying that getting members of other factions into your teamspeak channel will be a uneccesary hassle and you cant expect every single person to be in a faction resulting in the need for a in game communication method, preferably both voice and typing chat...