How far will the Sim part of the Game go? Hotas support?

I'm wondering how far does DU plan to go in terms of flying simulation. Will we be able to use Hotas with this game and benefit from the features or do you plan to make it purely Keyboard/mouse game. 

Also Congrats on the Trailer. If you simply deliver what you have in your list now I will subscribe in one single breath. The idea of Eve like multiplayer with building, constructing, scripting, PVP and real time combat is breath taking. My only hope is that the flying/fighting doesn't become tab targeting, but will be more "sim" based.

I'll be sure to keep my eye and I wonder what the rest of you think? How far should the flight simulation go? Would you want to use Hotas or benefit from using it? Would you prefer the flight model to be more arcade like and use Xbox Controller / mouse/ keyboard? I love simulators like Elite Dangerous, but I also love building games and player driven MMO model, so I wonder if this will be the ultimate dream  game for my wants and desires :)

Do away with your fears! You are safe here.

I don't think its possible for tab targeting. All guns must be aimed. On either turrets with AI or manned, or be mounted in a way where it can actually shoot stuff.

In other news. I wouldn't mind keyboard and mouse or controller.

But something tells me the number of hotkeys for various windows(or something) would be large.

I understand your excitement. I found this and have been excited for it for quite a while!

I would definitely like to see a more simulation type flight model with HOTAS options. We know they're going for first person view in one man fighters so that might be an indication. It would be cool to see differences between flying in atmosphere and flying in space too.

I am not a fan of tab targeting but there is a string possibility that that is what it will have to be. They are looking at making huge battles with hundreds or even thousands of players possible so they have to minimise the strain on the server somehow.

I agree that 1000s of ships in one small space would be a kill for real time targeting, but on the other hand we could have some sort of soft targeting - general area (ie the ship's hit radius is larger then the object itself) with some assumption system like in ESO could allow for large battles but with real time targeting. Not an easy task but should be possible now.

All guns must be aimed. On either turrets with AI or manned, or be mounted in a way where it can actually shoot stuff.

The devs confirmed that there wont be phisical aiming, at least not like in fps. Instead you will choose a target and your weapons or the weapons assigned to your specific station (multi crew) will fire on that target

The devs confirmed that there wont be phisical aiming, at least not like in fps. Instead you will choose a target and your weapons or the weapons assigned to your specific station (multi crew) will fire on that target

It is a pity that Tab targeting will be the main method (at least from my understanding of all devblogs and what I've gathered thus far. Personally I would have much more preferred options such as soft targeting or arc fire which would draw a little bit more but shouldn't kill the networking as badly as physically based targeting - https://board.dualthegame.com/index.php?/topic/621-firing-arcs/

The main issue I see here is that while the game offers more then EVE in terms of building, exploration and player community, it is shaping up to be very similar to eve in the fighting department and that would mean a fight of macros instead of a fight of skill. I hope I'm wrong, but Tab Targeting in space offers less skill based combat in my opinion then for Example the more modern MMORPG where you have at least dodge and block mechanics ect on top of Tab Targeting making the fight at least that bit more entertaining (I still don't class any tab targeting MMORPG Fight system as fun or overly skill based. I've played GW2 for a while and once my Necromancer build was done I could defeat almost any monster (excluding dungeons) with simple press 1,3,4,6 dodge here and there and rinse and repeat...). Tab Targeting also decreases any need for multicrew at least I can't see where multicrew comes to play in terms of combat when the fight is tab targeting.

It is a pity that Tab targeting will be the main method (at least from my understanding of all devblogs and what I've gathered thus far. Personally I would have much more preferred options such as soft targeting or arc fire which would draw a little bit more but shouldn't kill the networking as badly as physically based targeting - https://board.dualthegame.com/index.php?/topic/621-firing-arcs/

The main issue I see here is that while the game offers more then EVE in terms of building, exploration and player community, it is shaping up to be very similar to eve in the fighting department and that would mean a fight of macros instead of a fight of skill. I hope I'm wrong, but Tab Targeting in space offers less skill based combat in my opinion then for Example the more modern MMORPG where you have at least dodge and block mechanics ect on top of Tab Targeting making the fight at least that bit more entertaining (I still don't class any tab targeting MMORPG Fight system as fun or overly skill based. I've played GW2 for a while and once my Necromancer build was done I could defeat almost any monster (excluding dungeons) with simple press 1,3,4,6 dodge here and there and rinse and repeat...). Tab Targeting also decreases any need for multicrew at least I can't see where multicrew comes to play in terms of combat when the fight is tab targeting.

While arc fire and soft targeting may be not as worse for networking, you have to take in mind that the devs are aiming for battles with hundreds if not thounsads of players and ships on BOTH sides.

Multicrew would be nice to every single cre member having a number of turrets assigned allowing you to spread the damage between the enemies

I can see how it would be similar to TAB targeting, but if your ship has targeting systems, that could auto target for you, but if the other ship moves before your barrage gets there, it would be a miss.

Honestly this is a worth while trade off.

even with auto targeting systems, the current design and resulting requirements on sever architecture are still ridiculously ambitious. And there are plenty of ways a game can still incorporate skillful tactical thinking into an auto targeting system, we've seen that everywhere from eve's combat system to ultima's old magic system. It's not quite as immersive, but neither are separate shards, and when most of the interactions and content emerge from player interactions and creations, the benefits for having the entire game community in one universe are too valuable to put aside (If they can pull this off. I will probably still play the game if it doesn't pass the stress test and they end up dividing it).

Combat isn't implemented at this time, so there's plenty of time to discuss how combat will take place.

Regarding "Tab targeting" with small fighters.  I'm sure we all want to experience the excitement of dog fighting with fixed weapons.  Using the "tab targeting" model, I've already suggested the "Ripper Invisible Target Lock" method, which is essentially a short duration missile style lock that implements tab targeting.  Coupled with a small radius from the reticle to lock on.

This will provide the illusion of fighter/FPS combat without having to implement that style of game play.

Heck,  I'm wondering if the R.I.T.L is something I can script, if the devs don't come up with a solution.

It would be NICE if some of those mesh weapons weren't mounted to a turret.  :D