PvP battlegrounds

Archonious

Hi,

I really looking forward in this project, but while I'm waiting, I play Robocraft (and Space Engineers). I started this game 2,5 years ago, cooperated with developers and I'm well known player in top players Robocraft community (Same Nickname - Archonious).

The game is based on very interesting idea, something like short battles. I know, DU will be as long term game (MMO) and will be absolutelly different in gameplay (closer to Space Engineers). But what you think about PvP battlegrounds?

Yes, that require special limits and balance, but it open huge field of opportunities for players (extra targets, ranks, competitive play and other).

How it could looks like:

-5v5 / 7v7 / 8v8 games

-Team based on random or faction (+level, rank and other)

-*Limited amount of guns and movements (energy for usage)

-*Limited amount of blocks

-*Special craft must be created

*Since ships in MMO game could vary too much, that is little trouble for battleground. All players must have same limits, but with different variations. So if players will have special limits (like 1000 blocks max and amount of energy for movements and weapons), that could be fair for everyone.

P.S: Yes, that could be very complicated, that could be game in game. But if we take many MMO games, that is part of PvP which keep many players in game. Since you will be on "Pay to Play" model, you will be interested in every single player, so every single way to keep players is important.

Thanks

Archonious

There are not instances.. so there will have to be a Brawl System and betting... we will have to make a closed area in-game and build it...

The E3, said that there are no loading screens and such, what you suggest will have to be developed within the game via the player base.

Or within a Waring faction that prides strength and war... within that a mercenary group and such... think outside the box :D 

Hi,

I really looking forward in this project, but while I'm waiting, I play Robocraft (and Space Engineers). I started this game 2,5 years ago, cooperated with developers and I'm well known player in top players Robocraft community (Same Nickname - Archonious).

The game is based on very interesting idea, something like short battles. I know, DU will be as long term game (MMO) and will be absolutelly different in gameplay (closer to Space Engineers). But what you think about PvP battlegrounds?

Yes, that require special limits and balance, but it open huge field of opportunities for players (extra targets, ranks, competitive play and other).

How it could looks like:

-5v5 / 7v7 / 8v8 games

-Team based on random or faction (+level, rank and other)

-*Limited amount of guns and movements (energy for usage)

-*Limited amount of blocks

-*Special craft must be created

*Since ships in MMO game could vary too much, that is little trouble for battleground. All players must have same limits, but with different variations. So if players will have special limits (like 1000 blocks max and amount of energy for movements and weapons), that could be fair for everyone.

P.S: Yes, that could be very complicated, that could be game in game. But if we take many MMO games, that is part of PvP which keep many players in game. Since you will be on "Pay to Play" model, you will be interested in every single player, so every single way to keep players is important.

Thanks

Archonious

The beauty of what DU is trying to become is that you can already do this. Not in the sense that there is a ingame mechanic to manage and organize this, but more that the game will allow you to do it if you want.

You can create a whole league inside DU that you can govern and operate. If you want to run a PvP Area or deathmatch system, create some location on planets and then market your area as a PvP ground that is organised and run like ingame E-Sport kind of thing.

You could charge people to watch, participate and basically do anything you want. You just have to create it.

This is the basis of what they are trying to do with Emergent Game Play, allow the player to do whatever they feel like doing.

If you did make this in game i would probably give it a good a few times :)

nora,

You can create a whole league inside DU that you can govern and operate. If you want to run a PvP Area or deathmatch system, create some location on planets and then market your area as a PvP ground that is organised and run like ingame E-Sport kind of thing.

You could charge people to watch, participate and basically do anything you want. You just have to create it.

This is the basis of what they are trying to do with Emergent Game Play, allow the player to do whatever they feel like doing.

If you did make this in game i would probably give it a good a few times :)

nora,

None of players have opportunities and needs to do that, as game designers do.

To do fair team PvP battles without game support = huge job. If to do that constantly this is same as second job. Another trouble is player base, even to have 2v2 you need to have 4 players who knows about it. And another trouble, if there is no secure, there would be trolls and others players who will be happy to make troubles (especially if it would be more popular).

I'm saying that because I organised some tournaments in Robocraft, game partly supported that, but anyway, it was very hard.

Simply, I doubt game without simple combat system (join battle) will have some issues with players retention. Game could looks like very beautiful Space Engineers, but without quick combat system it can become boring too fast. Building and explore is cool, but it is not long term reason to play. But as I wrote, system P2P require long term players.

The way I see it, the whole point of Dual is to break free from limitations like these. 

Battles will occur spontaneously, arising due to the political, territorial, and economic pressures that are inherent in the game. Having equally matched and balanced battles just limits the realism that DU is going for. That may sound overly ambitious but that is in line with what little we know about combat from the devs.

Inevitably there will be unfair fights, for example 20 players vs. 5 players. But if you think about it that more closely resembles reality and will determine which empires rise and fall over the course of the game.

The way I see it, the whole point of Dual is to break free from limitations like these. 

Battles will occur spontaneously, arising due to the political, territorial, and economic pressures that are inherent in the game. Having equally matched and balanced battles just limits the realism that DU is going for. That may sound overly ambitious but that is in line with what little we know about combat from the devs.

Inevitably there will be unfair fights, for example 20 players vs. 5 players. But if you think about it that more closely resembles reality and will determine which empires rise and fall over the course of the game.

If universe is very big, this mean battles will be very rare. And as you said, they will be very unfair, which will make some players upset. Battlegrounds do not prevent outdoor battles (as political, economical and other). But it make easy PvP access for players.

We play game, not creating another reality. Population won't be huge, there would be not millions players online, so dreaming about open space (only) and fair PvP = utopia.

Developers need to design open space important part of game, but they need to create reasons to keep players online. Building could be very boring after few weeks or month of playing. If PvP would be available in open space only, this could become boring (because of rarity), as result player base will drop down. P2P player drop = Income reduction. Not saying about feedbacks, less players in game and other.

As example, World of Warcraft was based on Outdoor PvP and on Battlegrounds (+Arenas later). Even without requirement to go outside towns, there were massive battles.

This could be simple to add with the in-game virtual world mechanic. Basically players could use that to make private instances that can be easily managed by hosts. Sort of like hosting E-Sports tournaments in real life. That allows the players to create the game they want to create without any need for developer intervention. 

This could be simple to add with the in-game virtual world mechanic. Basically players could use that to make private instances that can be easily managed by hosts. Sort of like hosting E-Sports tournaments in real life. That allows the players to create the game they want to create without any need for developer intervention. 

I like the idea of every square inch of the "real" universe being PvP. However, I can see the value in "virtual" PvP battlegrounds or the like to hone your skills in.

I like the idea of every square inch of the "real" universe being PvP. However, I can see the value in "virtual" PvP battlegrounds or the like to hone your skills in.

The system do not block open world PvP. It make option to have fair and easy access PvP. But if somebody want to be pirate, he/she can do that without any limits. All bases still in space. Players will need to be in space.

That is more about "Want fair PvP, get it". Not die in ages of searching.