In-Game cameras

TrihXeen

I came up with this idea while replying to a post. I think it would be cool, and I'm hoping it will possible, with being able to code in DU. I think we could benefit from having in-game cameras that could act as an offline security system. Also, being used to record footage from RP situations, space battles, or even tv like programming like news channels and what-not. Those of you on here who have coding experience, or even the devs, this a possible thing to make if not built into the game?

-TrihXeen

So, I'm assuming you're talking about making a live feed camera to like, an app or an external site? 

Sounds possible but bandwidth heavy. Technically, I guess not to hard to implement (have minor coding experience, used to hobby game design). But I am unsure on whether having so many of them being used would be feasible, maybe a limited thing? 

However, I have noticed that ARK: Survival is adding a tripwire system that will alert users via email/external site when they are being raided on PvP servers, seems like an interesting concept and could possibly be used somewhere in here as home defense systems, etc.

I guess, technically anything is possible with LUA in the mix. :)

in the end, to access this camera you'd need a client, maybe downsized because you dont need controls and chat capabilities, but in the end it still has to be a fully fledged client to interpret all the data, so i think it wont happen.

What i think could happen would be making the chat accessible and having detection modules at your buildings which forward a chat message to you if someone trespasses. Not as efficient as a security cam, but at least something^^

in the end, to access this camera you'd need a client, maybe downsized because you dont need controls and chat capabilities, but in the end it still has to be a fully fledged client to interpret all the data, so i think it wont happen.

What i think could happen would be making the chat accessible and having detection modules at your buildings which forward a chat message to you if someone trespasses. Not as efficient as a security cam, but at least something^^

Pretty much what ARK is doing! :D

I also assumed as much would have to happen with a full separate client, etc. but I was unsure. 

id love to have a capital ship with a bridge completely surround in displays showing different camera angles from outside the ship.

On the left here, we see...empty space. Directly in front, we also gain a beautiful view of...empty space. Now, if you would please direct your attention to the starboard camera here, we are able to observe a rare specimen of the universe: dust particles.

Thank you for choosing Magnatron Tours today!!

I'd love to have a security room filled with monitors watching the corridors of my station for intruders. 

Or cameras on the front of missiles so I could watch them fly through space into their targets.

That also brings up the idea of cameras on drones that are operated remotely...

Cameras displays in a bridge would be useful in that you wouldn't have to have a bridge that is exposed via a translucent material to space and your enemies. You could have a bridge in the middle of your ship, and feel safer being surrounded by all of your armored hull. 

Cameras displays in a bridge would be useful in that you wouldn't have to have a bridge that is exposed via a translucent material to space and your enemies. You could have a bridge in the middle of your ship, and feel safer being surrounded by all of your armored hull. 

Sooo a ship like The Covenant(pic below) from the halo series had? I have to recreate this now. So many things come to mind, when thinking about all the possibilities DU offers.

ta_fore1.jpg

The monitors would have to be large enough to make it worth while though! 

Don't want to get stuck parallel parking a capital sized ship on a crappy CRT monitor. :( 

I came up with this idea while replying to a post. I think it would be cool, and I'm hoping it will possible, with being able to code in DU. I think we could benefit from having in-game cameras that could act as an offline security system. Also, being used to record footage from RP situations, space battles, or even tv like programming like news channels and what-not. Those of you on here who have coding experience, or even the devs, this a possible thing to make if not built into the game?

-TrihXeen

There will be camera views on the ships you build from camera that you place.

Since camera are placed on constructs and your ships and bases are both constructs created from the same voxels in the same way I would say that your idea to completely possible. The only thing i don't know about is the recording and viewing side of your idea.

I don't know if you can record the feed, as that would be storing game data to be viewed later inside the game, maybe there will be a way to do with with lua. The Viewing side we don't know very much about but as it's been stated that lua could play a big part in the piloting of ships i would imagine that the devs have thought about console screens connected to cameras.

I will link two threads that contain information and player suggestions on either camera's or displays.

Cameras: https://board.dualthegame.com/index.php?/topic/390-piloting/

Displays: https://board.dualthegame.com/index.php?/topic/540-billboards-in-du/

nora,

If would gladly pay for a second account, turn the HUD off. And, use its game footage as my live feed of things going on. It could be like a static shot of screens in game that show feeds from cameras.

I guess I should have reworded part of my initial post. Does anyone know if there will be a spectator type of thing, where you could just be a camera that flies around, but only a certain distance from your body, but limited in some way from going through walls? I would only want it for shots for videos or getting a zoomed out shot of a PVP space battle. The only downside I see is people using it as an exploit.

If it isn't possible for the sake of keeping it from ruining the game, I am on board(heh) with that.

If would gladly pay for a second account, turn the HUD off. And, use its game footage as my live feed of things going on. It could be like a static shot of screens in game that show feeds from cameras.

I guess I should have reworded part of my initial post. Does anyone know if there will be a spectator type of thing, where you could just be a camera that flies around, but only a certain distance from your body, but limited in some way from going through walls? I would only want it for shots for videos or getting a zoomed out shot of a PVP space battle. The only downside I see is people using it as an exploit.

If it isn't possible for the sake of keeping it from ruining the game, I am on board(heh) with that.

There was a brief mention of 3rd person view drones in an earlier post that NovaQuark did not reject, but did not confirm either...I believe it would be a development goal later down the road.

• 3 months later...

Hey, I'm going necro here because I believe the idea of in-game camera is a must in the game and because I mentioned this idea in the AMA thread : https://board.dualthegame.com/index.php?/topic/10000-kickstarter-ama-event-first-part/?p=32577

To sum up :

- Cameras would be elements streaming in-game footage

- The video stream could be picked up by in-game antennas (elements) and then sent to monitors/screens (elements and/or voxel-created -for big sizes-)

- An option to send the stream on twitch or others streaming platforms could be neat as well

- An option to save the stream (or last X minutes of stream) to your local computer would allow player to easily make shareable videos

It could allow :

- Surveillance systems

- Entertainment like cinemas or TV shows.

- The recording of historical events like great battles, discovering of new planets, opening of buildings, elections...

- Journalism with news reporter jobs

- New spying mechanism (watch out the cameras drones)

-...and more

Sorry to rain on your parade...

I'd say cameras streaming footage to another in-game element could only be done with limited range, e.g. within the same construct. Long-range streaming isn't feasible because the client is only ever loading a small part of the game world that is immediately visible to the player, or at least within a certain range.

Replaying recorded footage on an in-game screen sounds horrendously strenuous on the servers, I can't imagine that becoming a thing at all. Unless you'd somehow made it peer2peer driven, but then you'd potentially lag out all players in the vicinity.

(Edit: Now that I think about it, it could be done in way that you upload a video somewhere else (e.g. Youtube) and stream the video from there onto an in-game screen. )

What OP proposed, some kind of "viewing only" client bound to camera elements, I don't see any reason why that wouldn't be possible. Hard to tell how much work that would be for NQ. I can't imagine that too many players would benefit from such a feature; I guess you'd need a spare computer that can run the game but which you aren't using for gaming? If you don't have that, under what circumstances would you log in to check your cameras rather than log in to actually play the game?

Sorry to rain on your parade...

I'd say cameras streaming footage to another in-game element could only be done with limited range, e.g. within the same construct. Long-range streaming isn't feasible because the client is only ever loading a small part of the game world that is immediately visible to the player, or at least within a certain range.

Well I used to code a little game with Unreal Engine 4 and the camera element there kind of emulates a player point of view making it light weighted and allow you to play it on whatever compatible surface. I would imagine a similar function possible for DU with Unigine 2 (they may have to code it though since it's lower level).

Replaying recorded footage on an in-game screen sounds horrendously strenuous on the servers, I can't imagine that becoming a thing at all. Unless you'd somehow made it peer2peer driven, but then you'd potentially lag out all players in the vicinity.

Replaying? Who talked about replay? I'm talking about live stream here.

The only replay available would be on streaming platforms if you enable it. Not in game because it would of course be costly to save all the data.

What OP proposed, some kind of "viewing only" client bound to camera elements, I don't see any reason why that wouldn't be possible. Hard to tell how much work that would be for NQ. I can't imagine that too many players would benefit from such a feature; I guess you'd need a spare computer that can run the game but which you aren't using for gaming? If you don't have that, under what circumstances would you log in to check your cameras rather than log in to actually play the game?

While that might be interesting for live streamers or admins wanting to witness a battle without a damageable avatar it indeed won't be interesting for normal players.

• 1 year later...

I think we should revive that post.
At least provide us an API that we could use as a attack incoming notificator. So we can develope some kind of mobile app that notifies us about issues in our base.
May be when a "detection block" turns on when someone enters in our base without permision(I mean, if there is any one from our friend list or from our Corp).

I like this idea of camera to monitor a building (when connected to the game) or help piloting a large crew-ship. Nice to revive this post.

Nevertheless, there is a problem of having cameras accessible from outside the game via an API,  it will generate a huge bandwidth if everyone use tenth of cameras. And it might not be server-friendly....

If I recall well, NQ said that they are thinking to implement a kind of Offline raid protection during few hours (24-48h) to allow attacked team to respond to the attack. So do we really need to be warned when offline?

6 hours ago, John said:

Nevertheless, there is a problem of having cameras accessible from outside the game via an API,  it will generate a huge bandwidth if everyone use tenth of cameras. And it might not be server-friendly....

I think i don't explained myself propperly. My idea was to get an Input that works like as an alarm. For exemple: "DANGER, your base is under attack", then you log in and see what's going on.

6 hours ago, John said:

If I recall well, NQ said that they are thinking to implement a kind of Offline raid protection during few hours (24-48h) to allow attacked team to respond to the attack. So do we really need to be warned when offline?

That's a really good think to know. Didn't know about that, yet :P
So, I assume they are taking some measures about offline protection, good to know.

I won't be so affirmative about the timer, remembering few interviews, I think it's still in debate between 24 to 72 h.

I thought the protection bubble was link to the core unit, so I've searched for this information to be sure if it's the tile or the core unit. And it seems it's link to the static core unit:

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1949863330/dual-universe-civilization-building-sci-fi-mmorpg/posts/1694816

54 minutes ago, John said:

I won't be so affirmative about the timer, remembering few interviews, I think it's still in debate between 24 to 72 h.

I thought the protection bubble was link to the core unit, so I've searched for this information to be sure if it's the tile or the core unit. And it seems it's link to the static core unit:

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1949863330/dual-universe-civilization-building-sci-fi-mmorpg/posts/1694816

Yes the early idea was for static constructs to have that shield, but since jc talked at....can't remember where...french talk...he only used this in regards toto territory tiles. 

Space stations might have that feature too, as they can be anchored but lone bases in the open not so much (but still possible)

I cant help thinking any form of camera feature could be misused for covert spying against enemy positions, possibly behind enemy construct walls. Secondly I echo the concerns about the bandwidth issues causing unnecessary load on the the servers and/or data transfer to/from DU.

On a side note, if you are worried about intruders entering a base perhaps a radar type unit with display showing radius around you would be of better utility - however it would be up to the player to investigate what form the intrusion is taking. That would enhance the immersion.

It would be definitely a stretch goal if/when implemented.