MMORPG DU Interview

PetdCat

Thanks for the link. I was explaining the DU's concept to my wife and two sons at dinner last evening as we are all pc gamers (I wonder how that happened... :D ).

The oldest boy just graduated with a degree in computer science and has since taken a position on a research team at a very prestigious university. Although just getting started in his career, he is already jaded regarding promises and "visionary" design elements...

He said "I really doubt their claim that millions of players could be supported on a single shard, it's not like developers don't lie at E3... I told him "nooooooooooooooo, they have their own proprietary tech...."

This interview has some good info in it and I think I can now better explain it to him.

He has so much to learn :D

Thanks for the link. Definitely some good info there on how they plan for things to work. I am following this game closely, as I have high hopes for it - I am skeptical due to the many failed similar games out there, but it sounds like this NovaQuark team has actually put proper planning and thought into it.

Well for one I'm on here thanks to E3. I've never heard of this game until the Trailer, but I was literally breathless after the trailer. I really hope that this game gets the support it deserves as this is finally a player driven game concept I can back without a bit of hesitation. The player driven world, PVP as well as building together can make for some of the most amazing unforgettable gaming experience in the last decade, so I'm all in :)

Exactly the news that brought me here. It worked ;)

Would have been nice if someone screen captured and uploaded the video of it working with those few thousand players though.

Here's an appreciative if skeptical reaction of some of the main Space Engineers youtubers:

I find it odd that this game is getting more vaporware-suspicion then No Man Sky did, but I think in part NMS did it by showing some of it's promises straight off the bat, and the other part they did was a lot of video's interviews that humanizes and gives a face to the development team. Both might not be bad ideas for dual universe.

The reason Dual gets meet with more skepticism is because the general population does not truly understand how proper utilization of a cloud backend would work. Most games and game reviewers and even game developers are stuck in the rut of shard instances, game lobbies, single servers.

If you really want to understand, look into the current development of a game called Age of Ascent. They are making a space game capable of tends of thousands of people in a single space battle. I've been in their occasional play tests and the tech is amazing. They also have a LOT of documentation describing exactly how it all works to support that.

Basically, it comes down to distributed clusters micro services with very specific purposes and an ultra high speed communication layer between them. Servers in the cluster can be spun up and down to meet demand and take over partial zone control and processing.

Simply put, Dual Universe is the second game I've seen lately that aims to meet this target. The age of a single server game instance and player "lobbies" is dying or already dead. They just don't realize it yet.

Would have been nice if someone screen captured and uploaded the video of it working with those few thousand players though.

Here's an appreciative if skeptical reaction of some of the main Space Engineers youtubers:

I find it odd that this game is getting more vaporware-suspicion then No Man Sky did, but I think in part NMS did it by showing some of it's promises straight off the bat, and the other part they did was a lot of video's interviews that humanizes and gives a face to the development team. Both might not be bad ideas for dual universe.

I think we have to consider two things when comparing NMS and DU. NMS was already into the beta period when they showed at e3, and it has the backing of Sony. DU is an indy studio with no backing by a major production company, and they threw their vid together for e3. Both are similar in that they want no load screens but NMS is ment to play as a single player game where DU is the exact opposite.

Just to clarify, that didn't literally mean thousands of actual players. It was the server testing a load equivalent to the load of a few thousand players. Still, I agree - would be very cool to see some of that :)

Well for one I'm on here thanks to E3. I've never heard of this game until the Trailer, but I was literally breathless after the trailer. I really hope that this game gets the support it deserves as this is finally a player driven game concept I can back without a bit of hesitation. The player driven world, PVP as well as building together can make for some of the most amazing unforgettable gaming experience in the last decade, so I'm all in :)

I totally agree with you on this, id not heard of this game till E3 and it popped up on youtube under the videos you may like section but when i gave it a watch it was so captivating and not to mention the posibilities this will open up, and I mean ive played Eve and also space engineers and there both great games for various reasons but to come out of the dark and almost combine them both together in a sense and actually show that was incredible for me to watch,k will absolutely amazing to see what other people will do and create and to be a part of that is something that makes so excited to be  a part of this community want to play was a bit gutted at first that this game was still early development like really early however i believe when it comes to games and creating one taking your time can be such a massively good and important thing to do so im gonna support you guys as best as i can however i can, ive already started spreading this game to my friends and fa\mily so thank you Nq and everyone else in bringing this game to light and great job so far.

P.s whens next dev blog coming wanna read them over and over haha