ET And Infinite Learning

Whiskey

After peeking into the Library of the History Of Mankind I saw this topic and it got me thingking

https://board.dualthegame.com/index.php?/topic/48-aliens/

I guess I should start with a complaint.

In every game I have ever played, knowledge is free and found everywhere. EVE: What is through this wormhole? Oh! Google says its a class X that requires Y ship to get Z amount of money. ARK: Where can I find X dinosaur? Oh! The wiki says it found in Y location and can be killed/tamed with Z amount of bleh. Hopefully everyone understands. My hope, my dream for this game is that that wont be possible. My idea is that every planet, hell every continent is populated with different species and different minerals so that nobody, and I mean NOBODY can just google about how or where to mine a certain mineral or what kinds of animals/ET's are on some random planet. I think procedurally generating species for each planet would give explorers something to actually explore! For example, I could be an explorer that learns of a rare mineral deposit on planet Terra, and sell that information to the player run DU Mining Inc. for a chunk of change, and they would then go and mine said mineral. Or, I could sell research/data on a new alien found in the UNI Nebula to maybe an AI research group?

In short; I think that everything should be different so that I can't google how to get here or what is over there or where can I find something. I want a game that is different for everyone, so that everyone is unique in their experience.

Sorry for the brain spew, don't know how else to get the idea out

-Whiskey Out

well, we dont know how far they want to go with procedurally generated content, but normaly what u described is what you get if its somewhat sophisticated, so i dont see why you would need to complain about it^^

That is a valid concept, but it also depends on what the devs are creating. For instance, the universe they are creating seems to already be procedurally generated already, and to create a planet generation system that generates a planet randomly wouldn't be difficult as well, so I don't see planet generation being as much of a problem.

However, as far as animals, creatures and artifacts, unless they all spawn in different biomes and are random, it would be impossible to not have the information available. As well, making some information, as I'm sure you understand, is impossible without infinite content.

However, your discussion about planets and stuff on them is probably fine, unless they decide to just go the easy route and do non-procedurally genorated planets, which is that is the case, I will be disipointed.

So yeah. Good thing to bring up and suggest.

That is a valid concept, but it also depends on what the devs are creating. For instance, the universe they are creating seems to already be procedurally generated already, and to create a planet generation system that generates a planet randomly wouldn't be difficult as well, so I don't see planet generation being as much of a problem.

However, as far as animals, creatures and artifacts, unless they all spawn in different biomes and are random, it would be impossible to not have the information available. As well, making some information, as I'm sure you understand, is impossible without infinite content.

However, your discussion about planets and stuff on them is probably fine, unless they decide to just go the easy route and do non-procedurally genorated planets, which is that is the case, I will be disipointed.

So yeah. Good thing to bring up and suggest.

What I am wanting is yes, the procedural planets, but also procedural creatures and artifacts unique to that planet, so that the information ism ONLY available by getting it off of another player who has been there or by going there yourself. So yes, infinite content is what I am hoping for :P

Hmmm. Seems like your asking for a system similar to No Mans Sky, which is another game revolved around the very concept. I mean, I can see the desire for that, but there are some more repercussions that need to be taken into account.

Infinite items means infinite rarity, which will also break the market system. This will cause a downfall in the economy and break an aspect in gameplay that is vital.

I mean, I suppose having content that you have to find out for yourself would only mean not using Google, or just play the game at the beginning.

Hmmm. Seems like your asking for a system similar to No Mans Sky, which is another game revolved around the very concept. I mean, I can see the desire for that, but there are some more repercussions that need to be taken into account.

Infinite items means infinite rarity, which will also break the market system. This will cause a downfall in the economy and break an aspect in gameplay that is vital.

I mean, I suppose having content that you have to find out for yourself would only mean not using Google, or just play the game at the beginning.

By infinite I mean species, data on whom can be sold to AI Corporations or such. Minerals wouldn't have infinite types, rather  have set rarities so knowledge on resource deposits would have value, and deposits would have limited quantities so that you will always need to search for deposits 

Yes I'd like to see data collection and cartography/systems mapping be a profitable industry in the game.

Perhaps a system can be implemented where it shows you a full map and every star, and each player can put data up for sale on that star, at whatever price he chooses, and others with the same data can lower their price and so on. Data can be an item (Holocube or whatever they like to name it) that each player can only collect from the system once, and once bought it can only either be "Studied" (Giving the reader the data) or Resold by the new owner, not both. This keeps a constant demand for explorers, while preventing anyone from "mass producing" the same data.