Subscription should not be its pay model

mish1609

The devs are hidding something. There is no details information about the game, the company, the engine ! Think about it...

Where is the evidence that those ships were not built in the game? There is no way to determine this from a video.

I could show you a video of a sandwich. Could you tell whether I made it or not?

Yes dear, yes it does. Free-2-Play leads to no revenue, no revenue leads to company stock plummeting, plummeting leads to the Dark Si--I mean Pay-2-Win.  

In what universe did you dream up that statement? Free-2-Play happens be the top money-making business model in gaming, period. Do some research.

All you need to do is look at all the games that started out as subscription but went to F2P. You ever heard of a F2P game changing to subscription?

Why don't you tell the World of Tanks devs that F2P doesn't make money?

The facts are, most of the games that began as subscription fail and most of the ones that were designed from ground up as F2P succeed. WoW and EvE are about the only really successful subscription games and this is mainly because they are in a niche market.

The facts are, most of the games that began as subscription fail and most of the ones that were designed from ground up as F2P succeed. WoW and EvE are about the only really successful subscription games and this is mainly because they are in a niche market.

And Dual Universe isn't in a niche market? I mean we're talking about a game that uses a time based skill system like Eve Online, will take weeks or months for the first players to even leave the starting planet, and will take real life months for probes to reach new star systems before players can travel to them through stargates. 

On that same note, are you really going to suggest that WoW, the most profitable and successful MMORPG ever created, is in a niche market? Most of the complaints about WoW come down to it being "dumbed down" to cater to as many people as possible, which is kind of the opposite of going for a niche market...

I'm just going to suggest that you read the AMA thread, the devblog, and perhaps read or watch one of the numerous interviews with NovaQuark about Dual Universe before complaining about the subscription model. Once you understand what it is they are actually building, the necessity for a subscription model is much more clear. 

In what universe did you dream up that statement? Free-2-Play happens be the top money-making business model in gaming, period. Do some research.

while this is may or may not be true. true f2p games flounder and die or they go for the p2w model. which while the game may be a more profitable model the games sorely lack in any real content. as long as the devs keep the whales happy they dont give two whole shits about the players.

when a game company is actually passionate about their game and wish to push its boundaries and actually spend the money on more than cutting themselves a big check then p2p is definitely a better business model and game model. From what i understand being a game designer is more about passion than profit. if you wanted to make a profit there is better fields in the computer industry than making video games.

if you dont like it dont pay, dont play. wont hurt my feelings and based on the fact all your posts are basicly in this thread right here i have a suspicion your another troll or someone who plays alot of mobile gaming and actually has the excess funds to play a p2w game, which is fine if true, to each their own.

however i like a even footing for all. that means no convenience shops or any of that bs. i know more games that have lasted longer than any f2p game that i could name. Runescape while technically a free game has most its content locked behind a monthly sub that has gone from 5 dollars to over 10 and its been an active regularly updated game for 15+ years now. WoW is still a juggernaut when it comes to mmo's. i only quit cause like yama said it got to dumbed down for me and it wasnt a challenge

games like guild wars and such were fun for the first maybe few months. and honestly had they been a sub i would have spent the same money as i did as it being a b2p. servers are not cheap to maintain. employees have to be paid. but i can almost guarantee that if you asked every member of NQ why they do it. they wouldnt tell you for money

All you need to do is look at all the games that started out as subscription but went to F2P. You ever heard of a F2P game changing to subscription?

Let me break down some facts for you.

A game's annual projection indicates it makes 10000 USD per year, but the costs of maintenance and payrolls are 8000 USD. That means the company makes 20% of its income as profit, which after taxes, goes down from that percentage significantly.

By going F2P, most companies increase that 20%, why? BECAUSE TO REACH THE POINT OF GOING FREE TO PLAY, MEANS THEY TRIMMED THEIR WORKFORCE. Less people to pay, less utilities to balance out. 

Games that are F2P are usually gambling disguised with anime boobs.

Look at Archage's population, Black Desert, Blade & Soul, Star Wars : The Empty Republic, Age of Conan's boredom.  That's why they are F2P. Because people DON'T PAY FOR BORING. While on the other hand, you know what casual freeloaders say right? "If it's free, it's good."

Also, I don't like hackers and cheaters. You might, seeing as you like playing Free-2-Cheat games. But accept the fact the game is going to be subscription based, because there IS a niche market for the game. It's not another generic Korean MMO with anime butts and tits flying around, with lazor impractical swords and dragons. 

Edit by Nyzaltar:

Aggressive vocabulary parts removed.

Even if you disagree with someone else's opinion, you need to remain polite.

Edit by Nyzaltar:

Quote removed as CaptainTwerkMotor comment has been moderated.

"Most of the games that began as subscription fail and the most of the others that were designed from the ground up as F2P succeed"

*laughs ass off as I fall of my chair*
NO NO NO NO NO NOOOO!

That isn't because of the payment system, it is because of the STYLE!

Since World of warcraft almost REVOLUTIONIZED MMOs as we see it and became the massive giant it is, every subscription game have been trying to copy its success, THAT is the issue. But wow has always been the better subgame with more players and more content. THAT means that those that WANT to pay sub just thinks "meh, I can rather play WoW instead of this" and therefor leaves.

on the other hand, F2P versions of mmos nowadays "succeed" more due to people that DON'T want to pay a sub fee comes and see an MMO that they can try and that basicly mimmics WoWs STYLE.

It is just a case of WoW being the giant that it is THAT so many Sub games have failed, as they ALL where copying WOW

You know another example why I know that is the case? The most OTHER successfull MMO with a SUB is EVE... and it only succeeds because they said "FUCK IT" and did something that wasn't the MMORPG wow clone model.

TL;DR: Games that clone wow can't work with a SUB model, since WoW is such a giant you can't beat it in content / players, so to succeed (and even then you fail about 70% of the time) you have to either go single time buy to play or F2P and often do you struggle heavily to make the money, trough a cash shop. and then I mean struggle REALLY hard.

Besides: Do you REALLY think that WoW would have succeeded like it did if it was F2P? The only reason it could grow like that is because it had a Sub model. To maintain the servers they needed the massive income. A good game needs ALOT of money and F2P rarily gives that.

And I belive in Dual universe to a part. I mean, it might be bad, who knows at this stage... but it is diffrent and special enough that I belive that it can survive with a SuB model.

I will start by saying that I like the choice DU team made. Going P2P is hard decision in todays market, but I think it suits the game best. Only complaint I have is PLEX...

Now unto why I think so. Firstly, DU is positioned as long-time MMO, with substantial development and updates continuing many years after release. No matter how I look at it, pure B2P model wouldnt work. 60$ per copy doesnt last years after years, and expansion packs wouldnt make any sense in this format. So its P2P or cash shop.

Problem with cash shop is its balancing. Goods don't have to be mandatory or the whole point of 'free' is lost, and community is displeased. If goods aren't mandatory, too few people buy them, and to aounteract this prices become unreasonable. Many games do cosmetic shop, but it is impossible by design here, with most of assets being created by players. Even devs stated that they are minimising costs by leaving most of asset design to community, doing cosmetic shop seems just silly with such strategy. Lastly, there is example of Warframe, that is regularly (even by me) stated as example of 'fair' F2P. It is not all rainbows. A lot cosmetics can be bought only with platinum, that can only be bought with $ (or from another player, who bought with $). The most interesting frame skins are bought with pure $ on Steam. And many other cosmetics can only be bought in "prime packs". Those are stupidly overpriced $ purchases, that contain prime items added recently, exclusive cosmetics, and platinum. They ARE way overpriced. But it doesnt stop there. Some items vitaly important for gameplay (orokin reactors and catalysts) are only bought for platinum, or as reward at one time special missions during community events. Experiencing the game without them is not really possible. And only way to farm them through gameplay, is by farming prime items and selling to other players for platinum. WF is not really a game you play without spending $

Thats why I think P2P is optimal. I think aditional purchase of game license (how some MMOs do) is stupid idea in this case, as it lowers amount of people who would try the game greatly. Obviously, free 2 week(~ish) trial is a given.

Now why I think PLEX is bad. In short, it makes in-game actions worth less (which sounds like inflation, exactly what took place in WoW after WoW Tokens were introduced). Yes, being able to buy game time with ingame actions makes ingame actions worth less. Firstly, lets say that economy is primarily about flow of Goods, not about flow of Money. Money is only means of exchange, in the end they are worth something only when they buy goods. So buying something means exchanging goods your previously sold for different ones. You are offering good A in excchange for good B, of which there is total amount X. Now we imagine all people who are willing to buy B with their goods, and we get supply-demand model. And now we add PLEX in. No new Bs were produced,  so supply stays the same. But new good, PLEX, was added into the system. Some players who wanted to buy B now want to trade PLEX for it, and completely new people also want to pay their shiny new PLEXes for B. The demand has risen, people are offering more, while no Bs are produced, so price raises. Sounds like Voodoo magic? It is. Generally, introdicing PLEX would make it compete with B, lowering B demand. But it did not, because different people want it. People who are selling PLEXes are generally new players, so if B has value to average player, it would be on buy-list of PLEX seller. People who are buying PLEXs on the other hand, are usually old players who have enough money for whatever they want, so when they buy PLEX thay don't buy less B. If we look at it with money in mind, introducing PLEX has caused people to sell PLEXes for money to money-rich players, which in turn caused redistribution of wealth (did someone say trickle-down economics?), and in new system more people are offering more money for B, so it becomes more expensive. Cash flow speed has dramaticaly risen, not enough new goods (PLEXs) were introduced, so inflation happened. We did not look at it with money in mind, because we don't have monetary system in place yet.

TLDR: total consumer wealth has risen by introducing PLEXs bought with $, no new products were made -> products became more expensive -> other wealth different from PLEX is worth relatively less.

That is why I'm not onboard with PLEX hype train. Sure, it raises total sub count (numbers unknown), but it also makes economy more messy. Not as disastrous as in themepark, where player experience is designed with money avaiable in mind and economy is very strict, but still very messy.

Cheers!

I will start by saying that I like the choice DU team made. Going P2P is hard decision in todays market, but I think it suits the game best. Only complaint I have is PLEX...

Now unto why I think so. Firstly, DU is positioned as long-time MMO, with substantial development and updates continuing many years after release. No matter how I look at it, pure B2P model wouldnt work. 60$ per copy doesnt last years after years, and expansion packs wouldnt make any sense in this format. So its P2P or cash shop.

Problem with cash shop is its balancing. Goods don't have to be mandatory or the whole point of 'free' is lost, and community is displeased. If goods aren't mandatory, too few people buy them, and to aounteract this prices become unreasonable. Many games do cosmetic shop, but it is impossible by design here, with most of assets being created by players. Even devs stated that they are minimising costs by leaving most of asset design to community, doing cosmetic shop seems just silly with such strategy. Lastly, there is example of Warframe, that is regularly (even by me) stated as example of 'fair' F2P. It is not all rainbows. A lot cosmetics can be bought only with platinum, that can only be bought with $ (or from another player, who bought with $). The most interesting frame skins are bought with pure $ on Steam. And many other cosmetics can only be bought in "prime packs". Those are stupidly overpriced $ purchases, that contain prime items added recently, exclusive cosmetics, and platinum. They ARE way overpriced. But it doesnt stop there. Some items vitaly important for gameplay (orokin reactors and catalysts) are only bought for platinum, or as reward at one time special missions during community events. Experiencing the game without them is not really possible. And only way to farm them through gameplay, is by farming prime items and selling to other players for platinum. WF is not really a game you play without spending $

Thats why I think P2P is optimal. I think aditional purchase of game license (how some MMOs do) is stupid idea in this case, as it lowers amount of people who would try the game greatly. Obviously, free 2 week(~ish) trial is a given.

Now why I think PLEX is bad. In short, it makes in-game actions worth less (which sounds like inflation, exactly what took place in WoW after WoW Tokens were introduced). Yes, being able to buy game time with ingame actions makes ingame actions worth less. Firstly, lets say that economy is primarily about flow of Goods, not about flow of Money. Money is only means of exchange, in the end they are worth something only when they buy goods. So buying something means exchanging goods your previously sold for different ones. You are offering good A in excchange for good B, of which there is total amount X. Now we imagine all people who are willing to buy B with their goods, and we get supply-demand model. And now we add PLEX in. No new Bs were produced,  so supply stays the same. But new good, PLEX, was added into the system. Some players who wanted to buy B now want to trade PLEX for it, and completely new people also want to pay their shiny new PLEXes for B. The demand has risen, people are offering more, while no Bs are produced, so price raises. Sounds like Voodoo magic? It is. Generally, introdicing PLEX would make it compete with B, lowering B demand. But it did not, because different people want it. People who are selling PLEXes are generally new players, so if B has value to average player, it would be on buy-list of PLEX seller. People who are buying PLEXs on the other hand, are usually old players who have enough money for whatever they want, so when they buy PLEX thay don't buy less B. If we look at it with money in mind, introducing PLEX has caused people to sell PLEXes for money to money-rich players, which in turn caused redistribution of wealth (did someone say trickle-down economics?), and in new system more people are offering more money for B, so it becomes more expensive. Cash flow speed has dramaticaly risen, not enough new goods (PLEXs) were introduced, so inflation happened. We did not look at it with money in mind, because we don't have monetary system in place yet.

TLDR: total consumer wealth has risen by introducing PLEXs bought with $, no new products were made -> products became more expensive -> other wealth different from PLEX is worth relatively less.

That is why I'm not onboard with PLEX hype train. Sure, it raises total sub count (numbers unknown), but it also makes economy more messy. Not as disastrous as in themepark, where player experience is designed with money avaiable in mind and economy is very strict, but still very messy.

Cheers!

I see your arguement on PLEX. I do worry on inflating the market if currency is universal, which is why many people advocate on an exchange system or for factions to have access in creating their own currency to keep track of their inflation. If the faction currency is implemented your worries and mine will be unwaranted good sir.

I just wanted to chime in with my two cents.  I abhor the F2P model.  It becomes all about the cash shop and the game itself sits on the sidelines.  Adding a cash shop on top of a subscription is fine by me.  But I've been dying for a good game for quite some time - just DYING.  The only way this game can be great is if the developers have a solid budget and steady income.  It's just a fact of life.  So I support the subscription model and really,really hope these guys stick to their guns and go for it.  These servers alone are going to cost a small fortune.  

Not to mention the fact that its normally people who don't want to pay ANYTHING who argue for F2P.   In my experience the players who don't mind subscriptions are also the same players who spend money in the cash shops.  

I think the plan they have laid out so far is a very good one.

I just wanted to chime in with my two cents.  I abhor the F2P model.  It becomes all about the cash shop and the game itself sits on the sidelines.  Adding a cash shop on top of a subscription is fine by me.  But I've been dying for a good game for quite some time - just DYING.  The only way this game can be great is if the developers have a solid budget and steady income.  It's just a fact of life.  So I support the subscription model and really,really hope these guys stick to their guns and go for it.  These servers alone are going to cost a small fortune.  

Not to mention the fact that its normally people who don't want to pay ANYTHING who argue for F2P.   In my experience the players who don't mind subscriptions are also the same players who spend money in the cash shops.  

I think the plan they have laid out so far is a very good one.

I agree with ya mate, I just wanted to say I looked up what the heck abhor means. Now I feel a bit smarter. xD

I see valid arguments for all three models. Personally, I feel that a subscription model suits me the best and am happy to see the majority of posters apparently agree.

1. FTP. Great if you do not want to pay for anything.
  2. BTP. Great if you want to play a game that has an end (not for a MMORPG with no end).
  3. PTP. Great if you want to show continuous support. (Good for a MMORPG which needs regular updates).

The only issue I would really have would be if the game was PTW.

I see valid arguments for all three models. Personally, I feel that a subscription model suits me the best and am happy to see the majority of posters apparently agree.

1. FTP. Great if you do not want to pay for anything.
  2. BTP. Great if you want to play a game that has an end (not for a MMORPG with no end).
  3. PTP. Great if you want to show continuous support. (Good for a MMORPG which needs regular updates).

The only issue I would really have would be if the game was PTW.

The PLEX system is something that is a win-win though, not pay-to-win, if you want to play the game for in-game currency, as the PLEX is essentialy, playtime another player buys from the company to sell in game for a ton of mangos and a cheesecake to another player. It's an organic way of running an in-game economy, and hopefully, the game won't have a universal currency that ends up meaing the same as power levels in Dragon Ball Z.

As I've mentioned in my post under different thread, I'm all up for P2P, as long as the monhly payment is balanced.

What I mean is: 10$ is not the same amount for West Europe or USA, as it is for Poland or Bulgaria, or Russia, or Czech Republic.

In Poland I pay around 11$/month for my broadband internet connection. It would be kinda imba for me to pay 15$ for

an access to this (hopefully very awesome) online game. I'm pretty sure that peeps from my Europe region understand what I'm saying.

The exchange rate is brutal, and even with the favourable USD/PLN rate, 15$ dollars is simply too much, with the average salaries here.

5-7 dollars is pretty acceptable for me (price of a one ticket to cinema is about 6.3$), but 10-15...that would mean a high paywall for me and people living here.

Just saying.

The P2P pricing policy is a key for not discouraging players like me from joining.

As I've mentioned in my post under different thread, I'm all up for P2P, as long as the monhly payment is balanced.

What I mean is: 10$ is not the same amount for West Europe or USA, as it is for Poland or Bulgaria, or Russia, or Czech Republic.

In Poland I pay around 11$/month for my broadband internet connection. It would be kinda imba for me to pay 15$ for

an access to this (hopefully very awesome) online game. I'm pretty sure that peeps from my Europe region understand what I'm saying.

The exchange rate is brutal, and even with the favourable USD/PLN rate, 15$ dollars is simply too much, with the average salaries here.

5-7 dollars is pretty acceptable for me (price of a one ticket to cinema is about 6.3$), but 10-15...that would mean a high paywall for me and people living here.

Just saying.

The P2P pricing policy is a key for not discouraging players like me from joining.

Most games in Europe cost about 14- 15 $ when converted to Euros. Also, there's a PLEX system in place, so you can buy a playtime extension in-game from other players with in-game money, so there are other ways instead of a subscription based on real cash good sir.

Just saying.

Sorry, but I call bullshit, mate. Average price for new PC game in Poland is about 25$ (here is link) so paying 10-15$/month is like buying one new game per two month - something that most of the players can afford. Most common pay in Poland is around 560$ (link) so it is not even 2,5% of your paycheck monthly... even if you do not earn so much. I am poor ass too, but your claims are kinda weak. Sorry for such rant, but let's stick to the facts, brother.

PS: To be total accurate, AVERAGE pay in Poland is around 1000$. You mean DOMINANT pay, and they are not the same ;)

Sorry, but I call bullshit, mate. Average price for new PC game in Poland is about 25$ (here is link) so paying 10-15$/month is like buying one new game per two month - something that most of the players can afford. Most common pay in Poland is around 560$ (link) so it is not even 2,5% of your paycheck monthly... even if you do not earn so much. I am poor ass too, but your claims are kinda weak. Sorry for such rant, but let's stick to the facts, brother.

PS: To be total accurate, AVERAGE pay in Poland is around 1000$. You mean DOMINANT pay, and they are not the same ;)

Ok, so what you exactly call bullshit?

The fact that new PC game in Poland costs 25$ on average doesn't mean it's cheap for average consumer, point one. Point two: I cannot afford to pay new game every two months and probably I'm not in the "unpriviledged" minority. And I guess it's about attracting as many dedicated and mature players as possible, right? 

We're talking about a COMMITMENT to continuosly support the game financialy, so comparing it to buying a box game is like comparing apples to oranges. If I want to play Witcher (22,50$ - lowest price for the newest part), I buy the game, finish it, and put it on the shelf. But I don't re-buy it every other month. In case of box game I have the elasticity to not buy the game if a can't afford it given month. With the commitment to support MMORPG constantly, I can cancel my sub, sure. But then I'm instantly cut off from experience that was inherently designed to be long-term. So I kinda feel cheated.

So, to be fair, you need to measure my financial commitment in longer period of time. 84$/year (with the 7$/month price level) is a fair contribution. 180$/year is way too much for me.

Ok, so what you exactly call bullshit?

The fact that new PC game in Poland costs 25$ on average doesn't mean it's cheap for average consumer, point one. Point two: I cannot afford to pay new game every two months and probably I'm not in the "unpriviledged" minority. And I guess it's about attracting as many dedicated and mature players as possible, right? 

We're talking about a COMMITMENT to continuosly support the game financialy, so comparing it to buying a box game is like comparing apples to oranges. If I want to play Witcher (22,50$ - lowest price for the newest part), I buy the game, finish it, and put it on the shelf. But I don't re-buy it every other month. In case of box game I have the elasticity to not buy the game if a can't afford it given month. With the commitment to support MMORPG constantly, I can cancel my sub, sure. But then I'm cut instantly cut off from experience that was inherently designed to be long-term. So I kinda feel cheated.

So, to be fair, you need to measure my financial commitment in longer period of time. 84$/year (with the 7$/month price level) is a fair contribution. 180$/year is way too much for me.

Your point is moot. There's PLEX in the game. Your costs go way lower than that if you buy Playtiime Extension for in-game currency.

Your point is moot. There's PLEX in the game. Your costs go way lower than that if you buy Playtiime Extension for in-game currency.

My point is pretty straightforward, not moot. I would most gladly give DU devs steady inflow of 7$/month every month, without

PLEX or anything else. 

But average cost of subscription (WoW, EvE) is about 15 USD - and for reason. Devs do not charity work, they want to earn something too... 15 USD is normal market price for game like that... it is argument like "i want brand new porsche, but it must cost less than 1000 bucks". Sorry, quality must cost...

My point is pretty straightforward, not moot. I would most gladly give DU devs steady inflow of 7$/month every month, without

PLEX or anything else. 

Which makes it your end's issue, not the subscription's issue. It's not about "gladly I'll pay", it's about maintaining a steady flow of income for the company. If a playrer buys PLEX and sells it to you for a spaceship you made, then you get that playtime for free while the cost is met from another. And 7 $ a month is not going to make them profit you know. The subscription includes paying the devs as well to create more content and not fire people. Those 7$ will not even cover the data packages you consume by playing, let alone provide profit for the company. While server space is rented, or is built for the company, the upload of data packets is not free on the scale a company operates. They don't have you unlimited upload/download internet connection (that is also optimised by your entire node's region), they have a dedicated line for the server. And them bad boys cost 15$ a month per player, which includes taxes and profit.

You can look all I've told you on the internet, all of how and why subscription is the best solution for an MMO. And how many F2P or B2P games companies had to fire their staff due to lack of revenue.

This game has peaked my interest, however I'm not totally sold on the P2P model for any game. For me it comes down to pricing and time I want to/can commit to the game. $15USD is $20AUD, per month. I'm not comfortable with paying that for a monthly subscription for a single game, for myself. I've done it with other games and I hated it. I felt compelled to play to get my money's worth out of it and I never felt as though I did.

The whole converting ingame currency into game time is cool, but the average player doesn't have the time to be able to do that. So the majority of the player base are going to be paying to play. They can't make it too easy to do, or else they shoot themselves in the foot when everyone just farms credits and converts them to ingame time. 

With what I've learnt about the game so far and the team working on it, I understand completely with their choices on doing this game as P2P. It is the best option they've got, unfortunately for me, I may not bother with/be able to afford this game dependent on how much they charge for it. I know they plan on doing a trial period, which I like the idea of and will hopefully be enough to allay my fears and encourage me to play. I've got other friends who are also interested so I know I'd be able to play with a group. My last concern is grinding, all MMO's have it, but I don't like the idea of paying to grind for months on end to watch my work get decimated in a disproportional short amount of time.

I'm going to keep tracking Dual Universe as this game is another iteration of the space game I've always wanted. Who know's they may change my thoughts on P2P ;)

I'm not comfortable with paying that for a monthly subscription for a single game, for myself. 

For Cpt. Kirk sake. Can we stop use "I personally don't like this price" argument in this discussion? You are one single player, period. ONE. And your whims are little important to overall economic strategy of game studio.

We for instance can discuss how any of pay model influence numbers of players, mechanic, PR and so on - but I beg all of you, do not use totally personal arguments. I too, can state "I do not like sci-fi, make this game medieval, or I do not pay for this!". And what?

Have some common sense and decency ;<

btw. EVEN this 10-15 $ range is WILD GUESS. So, we even don't know IF game will be cost as much - but someones can rant about it all day long ;/