Subscription should not be its pay model

mish1609

Count me in the statistics of those who agree with subscription. 

Better yet, the model they have already informed about, using some kind of pilot license (the EVE PLEX) adds flexibility.

Models like Elite, where you have to almost 'rebuy' the game after each expansion, may be the same amount in a year (I haven´t made the numbers), but doesn't feel great to invest that much money to continue playing the latest version. On the contrary, a lower monthly fee is easier to pay, and EVE has come with expansions regularly.

I'm happy with a subscription. As much as I might like F2P or B2P, they, in and of themselves, don't keep me around. The games I pay for on a monthly basis, are the ones I keep playing. The ones that rely heavily on cash shops are the ones I might dip into now and again when I see something nice, but my time in them is fleeting.

Give me a good solid, quality game with a monthly sub. It gives me assurance the playerbase will be mostly comprised of equally committed players too. 

Subscription based is by Far the best way forward, you keep paying every month if you enjoy playing the game, you don't keep paying if you don't it is as simple as that.  With the Servers that they are going to need to keep running to keep the game going it is the only way forward. I for one can't wait until the game is a point in which I can actually play the game.

I have said this on other posts, but subsciption for me is the best option. It allows me to budget easily how much I am spending, it allows the developer to see a steady cash flow that they can also budget on and it helps to weed out some of the trolls.

I have always (though experience) equated subscription based games as having a stronger/more serious player base and generally have more polished games. Free to play always seem like jokes to me and have never lasted for any real duration of time for me. B2P games are kind of in the middle. Seems like a serious player base, but generally slower development.

I'd prefer a game that makes al ot of money (well and is clearly fun), so the developer has good reason to keep developing it so that I have something to keep coming home to for years to come. The nature of digital goods means I want to play wiht them and wear them out till I feel I got my moneys worth and don't care anymore...any less and I get that buyers remorse feeling.

Dual Universe don't offers 'content' at all. It will feature (hopefully) cool tools and an environment. For me this is a normal PC game. Buy it, play it, done. I doubt many players will stick to their sub, if there will be no content flowing in after release.

But I may be wrong. As the devs spare the money for content creation like quests and story, they might go for a very low sub of one or two $/€ a month. This might work, we will see.

Where have you seen or heard that they won't be releasing new content? I am pretty certain the opposite is true, being a monthly sub game. If they don't release new content, they will lose players pretty quickly.

There will surely be new contents, most likely things like new tools, new modules like engines etc. Probably server wide events like defending a planet frorm an asteroid swarm or such stuff.

I'd be quite happy to pay a subscription for this game. From what I have seen and read so far, I think it will finally be enough to tempt me away from EvE online to which no other game has been able to yet!

like the subscription model, MMO's are expensive to maintain & there going to have to find that funding somewhere so id rather just pay that and not be bombarded with micro transactions at every turnor have shotty server connections

Subscription is the way to go with modern MMOs.

For people who want to put a lot of time into a game its essential to keep it updated regularly.

I do still play some of the games I bought as boxes and I do still play the odd steam game, but MMOs are where the real gameplay is at.

The key question is this....... Is the game worth £XX.XX per month?

I like the idea of being able to play as a F2P player with a bunch of stuff off limits, but thats really just to get a feel of the game I guess.

For people with tight budgets then the 'in game' time credits works well. And the idea of 'gifts' is also a good idea.

Im sure these are all on the table, so lets hope the devs get it right.

To me, If the game is worth playing month after month, its worth paying a sub to do so. I love to lose myself in the game world and free to play games often times, in order to support themselves no problem with that, have game play or other  mechanics that slice into that immersion. 

I'd like the idea of a time limited free play period to try it out and get a feel for the game - perhaps 3 hours of game time or something. I also like the idea of charging for actual game time instead of on a monthly basis - purchasing time packs or something similar perhaps...$X per 10 hours of game time.

I'd like the idea of a time limited free play period to try it out and get a feel for the game - perhaps 3 hours of game time or something. I also like the idea of charging for actual game time instead of on a monthly basis - purchasing time packs or something similar perhaps...$X per 10 hours of game time.

We have synthesized a bit all the things that were taken into account, but you have here all the main reasons why we are aiming toward a Pay to Play model. In a nutshell, here’s what we have planned:

• Free Trial period: between 2 and 4 weeks.
  • Monthly subscription (optional with a PLEX-like system)
  • Possible (cosmetic only) Cash Shop. If deployed, we will make it in order that every month, players who have paid a subscription will be able to get some cash shop items for free.

​stolen from the devblog. this is the current plan set in motion by NQ and i think it will work. 2 to 4 weeks is alot of time in my opinion to test a game out. id like to see the 4 weeks over the 2 weeks, unless the 2 weeks is like a fixed time of play. though 2 weeks of game play unless they consider a day of game play 8hrs is alot of time.

however id hate to only pay for game time played for only because im a weird gamer. there are times where i may play a game for 15+ hrs in one sitting or day. to me paying for time only may come out to me paying more money than the 10 to 15 dollars a month. if this game only needs cash floor to run a server with minimal updates the price point should be around 5 dollars a month depending on the estimated player base. if they plan to basically release the game in a late stage beta and go back regularly and tweak it and add stuff they didnt add before the release because of meeting a deadline. id be happy to pay more than 5 to 10. if they plan to add massive updates then ill be happy to pay upwards of 15 (i dont know of any game that is over 15 a month). the money we pay for this game regardless of the source is paying for server maintenance and customer support first and foremost, past that it goes towards i hope improvements to the game

ps. i know im in these sub threads alot, and i hope that i offer new information and point of view each time with out sounding like a broken record. i just feel strongly that if a game is to survive it needs to be p2p atleast at first much like a elder scrolls model

Thus. the long discussion comes to a halt. My hopes are that it has. Seriously, this topic is well discussed and I'm pretty sure that everything that has had a chance to be said is said at this point. Please don't prove me wrong!

Well done on the topic by the way! Even though the person who started this topic is probably gone, it got us all thinking and a long debate arose in which we discussed this so thoroughly that we can answer the questions in the future.

I myself prefered the pay to play model as it keeps the quality high and provides the devs with a constant income instead of a up and down stream of pay constantly happening. I think this will make it better for everyone playing, as the time invested in it needs to be well spent otherwise, the payment you spent or the time you've had to not spend is lost.

To be as honest as possible the subscription model helps keep masses of unwanted trash players, that will never spend 1.00$ on the game, out of the game.

NovaQuark should not use the Titanic game model that has been going ever since WoW took over the MMO market.

Can anyone name me a memorable free to play / cash shop game that they have stuck with and played for any length of time? They don't exist.

Planetside 1 in its time was vastly more fun than Planetside 2 will ever hope to be.

TOR, Wildstar and all the others that start as pay 2 play and go free to play is because they overhype and break the ship in half. There's nothing wrong with their games staying pay to play, but they don't want to put any effort into making the game better so they cop out ditch the sub and put in a cash shop.

Nobody is happy with 50,000 to 300,000 active subscribers anymore its laughable that the industry thinks the gold standard is reaching 1 million active sub's minimum to keep a game alive.

WoW and EV.E are the only successful games out there, though both of them are bordering dangerously close to failure with their cash shop's.

If you overtap your playerbase for money they'll burn through the content and ditch the game, sure you get a quick buck, but eventually your' game becomes lost in the wind of all the other free to fail games.

Once you start putting shares, quarterly revenue reports, and stockholder opinions above the quality of your' game you've lost, you aren't a game anymore.

All they care about is hyping stuff up in order to drive "traffic" into the game, and subjecting them to the highest degree of advertising and pressure to buy garbage from the cash shops.

If you like the sound of this game, if you want a community, if you want content, support the developers in their quest to return the glory of subscription's.

(I know it might be a bit stupid :D but...) Path of the Exile :D 100% free and it is doing amazing.

This sounds like a good system.

Subscription is maybe a bit oldschool, but it allows a developer to fully and REALLY devote alot of work and experience to the game.

Do you really think that World of Warcraft would have been so big if it didn't have its Sub model? Due to all the money it gained with all its players, it basicly elevated Blizzard into one of the absolute biggest companies allowing them to make amazing content (then WoD happend and we won't talk about WoD)

Anyway... you get the point, a sub model is the best model if you want to make a MASSIVE MMO of this scale.

Where have you seen or heard that they won't be releasing new content? I am pretty certain the opposite is true, being a monthly sub game. If they don't release new content, they will lose players pretty quickly.

Well, the devs tell always it is all about 'emergent gameplay'. Emergent gameplay is nothing they provide, it is something they hope for. M. Baillie told us at this con video, DU saves dev funds by not providing any content which consumes large amounts of money. They just provide the tools, the universe and the server plus certain blueprints for things and hope all this will sum up to a well working economy and community.

This might work out but this is another topic. But, when they do not provide any so called content (quests, storys, NPC friend and foes) for release, why should anyone consider they will do after release? They will most probalby upgrade the tools, offer new blueprints and such, but classic content? Does not look like it. So the question is: if they go for a sub (which is my favorite paying model, don't get me wrong), how will they make it worth it? The game alone is a toolkit with hopefully really cool functions, but still only a toolkit. How many people do you get to constantly pay a sub for using a kit?

And how about you just don't buy the game ? It's a scam. watch the video right here.

The ships that you see in the video trailer that they post is actually a pre-build space ship on turbosquid look at this : http://www.turbosquid.com/3d-models/scifi-spaceships-cruiser-fighter-3d-model/782086 this is pretty much all the big space ship that you see in the trailer 

And how about you just don't buy the game ? It's a scam. watch the video right here.

The ships that you see in the video trailer that they post is actually a pre-build space ship on turbosquid look at this : http://www.turbosquid.com/3d-models/scifi-spaceships-cruiser-fighter-3d-model/782086 this is pretty much all the big space ship that you see in the trailer 

So what exactly is the reason you posted this stuff? I had hoped post like this only will come up when open beta hits the game. :huh:

So I am not welcome, when I am not in love with every word the devs say? I just point things out from my point of view (as everybody in here does) with some 17 years of MMO experience in all types of MMO games. Why do I do it? Not to bash anything but to try to prevent a good project from failing due to bad decisions. Again, from my point of view. But perhaps, I am just feeding a troll here, for which I would apologize.

try to prevent a good project from failing due to bad decisions

Really ? I'm not a troll ! I AM actually trying to show you that your "lovely" devs are liars ! They are lying in the trailer and in the website ! 
"pre-alpha in-game rendering / all shown constructions & ships are built in-game" This is what they wrote in the first page of the website ( http://www.dualthegame.com )  ! 
The spaceships that they show us on pretty much all pictures and trailer are pre-build http://www.turbosquid.com/3d-models/scifi-spaceships-cruiser-fighter-3d-model/782086 
Did you even watch this ? If devs are obvioulsy liyng to us, why would you trust them ? Explain me cause right now i'm freacking out... I'm trying to help right now...

You guys have to open your eyes ! This is insane... 
If they are lying for that... They can lie about everything ! They are talking about "their" in-game engine "voxel technology"  did they show anything else ? There is like NO information about that "technology" it could be anything ... 

You guys have to open your eyes ! This is insane... 

If they are lying for that... They can lie about everything ! They are talking about "their" in-game engine "voxel technology"  did they show anything else ? There is like NO information about that "technology" it could be anything ... 

Charming, really. This is a pre-alpha state of a huge project. Ever been to software development? In this forum are only enthusiasts, easily hooked be the sheer amount of opportunities this Dual Universe might offer. Do you think some bullshit crying youtuber will cause the very first fans of Dual Universe to run away in shock? Yes I viewed at least 20 minutes of the video trying to find the reason for his 'hard truth' B)

So am I shocked? No. They summed up a video, to have something to show on E3 and their tiny loyal fanbase in this forum. So what? They work on the very foundation of the game. I am not surprised, noone found the time to build big capital ships on their own up to now. So they bought a few models. Does this hurt you? Bullshit cryers will always find something to cry about, or haters gonna hate? Ever heard that?

The only thing you try to achieve are clicks on you youtubechannel. I would advice the moderators to delete this user and his content. Does this advertising a youtube channel not somehow violates the forum rules? :huh:

The only thing you try to achieve are clicks on you youtubechannel. I would advice the moderators to delete this user and his content. Does this advertising a youtube channel not somehow violates the forum rules? :huh:

You're an idiot, that's.. I would like to speack to another person than a stupid fan boy who can't even see obvious lies about a game that will not be complete !

I just show you PROOF that those devs lied about a BIG part of the game ! 

You will cry cause you loose money on a scam game like Dayz or The stomping land.

By the way, this is not my channel ! And that's the only video with good sens that talk about this game.