NO MORE EVE ONLINE PASSIVE SKILL TRAINING

Mojitsu

I really dislike the "use to level" skill system.

I still have nightmares of people running into walls to level up 'sprint'. Or people setting up elaborate macro's just to level up their skills.

I feel the Eve style skill training is a good system. It removes the grind aspect of the level system. And in theory it doesnt take long for new players to be effective.

Its not a perfect system but for a game like DU I think it is the best solution.

Ofcourse there is also the Perpetuum way of doing things though I still prefer Eve's approach.

I really dislike the "use to level" skill system.

I still have nightmares of people running into walls to level up 'sprint'. Or people setting up elaborate macro's just to level up their skills.

I feel the Eve style skill training is a good system. It removes the grind aspect of the level system. And in theory it doesnt take long for new players to be effective.

Its not a perfect system but for a game like DU I think it is the best solution.

Ofcourse there is also the Perpetuum way of doing things though I still prefer Eve's approach.

what you observed in the use to level up system is a result of linear progression. If you look at clicker games like clicker hero or adventure capitalist is that the progression is logarithmic, but the bonuses you get after each tier are exponential thus making it linear as long as you upgrade your things, aka play the game normally.

What DU would do is that the higher tier you use the more skill points you get but it progresses logarithmicly. this would render the grind skill points useless as it wouldn't be as efficient as playing the game itself.

My idea is to unlock skills with a variety of activities, so it doesn't get boring:

-By waiting time

-By resources

-By achievements

-??

Instead of waiting 7 days for a skill to complete, maybe you could grind 1-2 days for resources, and wait like 3 days. Or maybe you would need to complete an achievement (kill 10 players) and to wait 2 days, to build a pvp related element, instead of 7 days of nothing.  It would be less boring.

• 4 weeks later...

Perhaps an alternative to skills could be neural implants or upgrades.

Every skill has an implant with X levels of upgrades.

With this system the player can progress their skills by either:

1. Manual actions without implants.

2. Buying an upgrade with in game currency.

3. Buying and upgrade with real money.

This way the player will be free to choose in what way they will increase their skills. Some people like the grind and have time for it, some don't.

Maxing all skills would obviously be very expensive if bought with real money.

This is just an example of another way of looking at skills and how they could be used and be more flexible. Perhaps only upgrade level 3-5  (1-2 manually) can be bought to avoid instant "God mode" etc. This system would obviously need to be refined further.