Weapons and planets

Hisshadow

I'd love to see some bids of weapon fire destruction of planet terrain like missles blowing holes in the dirt... Building up to the mother of all weapons the death star which being voxels I m assuming we can blow a planet to pieces. :)

Would be cool explorers would show up to find a debris field or maybe a quarter sized ragged chink of continent floating in space

So I'm pretty sure I have read about this somewhere, just can't remember where. But I'm pretty sure something like this will not be possible due to 1 mechanic. There will not be construct to construct collisions in the game. This means you can not ram other ships to cause damage and these types of weapons will not be possible. Then again i could be wrong not sure.

This is also being discussed in this thread.

Question about energy and projectile weapons

And here

Few questions on ship and ground mechanics.

where Nyzaltar said:

In short, the basic mechanics to make possible "planet ground vs orbital" combat will already exist in-game.

The transition between planet ground, planet atmosphere and space is seamless in Dual Universe (no instances, no loading screen).

So yes, this kind of combat is technically possible. However, to really become a gameplay possibility, the team will need to develop specific Elements for this kind of battle scale (very long range and powerful weapons, very large and powerful defenses, stats associated to these elements, game balancing, etc). This won't be trivial to develop (that would be a complete new territory in the MMO field as no one has ever made that before, from our knowledge. A challenge as big as exciting!) and that's not in the first priorities right now. But that could definitely be on the roadmap sooner or later. Maybe as a stretch goal for the crowdfunding campaign ?   ;)

Found here 

Whats about fully destructible Planets/Stars?

Hi everyone,

As said in another topic, technically anything on the planet is destructible (except what is built in safe areas).

However, there is also some gameplay balancing concerns.

Azrael, on 08 Jun 2016 - 08:14 AM, said:snapback.png

It would be horrible for the people on the receiving end of it, or the people who are unlucky to be placed on the planet. They will lose everything.

This sentence sums up the problem.

+ the fact that having safe zones would be pointless.

So the clear answer is no, there won't be weapons powerful enough to destroy planets.

And yes it will be possible to destroy anything on a planet surface that isn't in a safe area (assuming the agressor has the means to destroy the defensive measures put in place).

Best regards,

Nyzaltar.

I would like to Ask about the plot of land you will own, I have not heard about the height of the own airspace over land, how high up will that go 1KM ?? or less, in other words if i was to fly over someone elses land how high do I have to be to Not be on there land ???

Thank you

I would like to Ask about the plot of land you will own, I have not heard about the height of the own airspace over land, how high up will that go 1KM ?? or less, in other words if i was to fly over someone elses land how high do I have to be to Not be on there land ???

Thank you

One Kilometer

Found here 

Whats about fully destructible Planets/Stars?

Hi everyone,

As said in another topic, technically anything on the planet is destructible (except what is built in safe areas).

However, there is also some gameplay balancing concerns.

Azrael, on 08 Jun 2016 - 08:14 AM, said:snapback.png

This sentence sums up the problem.

+ the fact that having safe zones would be pointless.

So the clear answer is no, there won't be weapons powerful enough to destroy planets.

And yes it will be possible to destroy anything on a planet surface that isn't in a safe area (assuming the agressor has the means to destroy the defensive measures put in place).

Best regards,

Nyzaltar.

that doesn't mean there'll be weapons to destroy blocks, but that you could do it manually. Removing a big chunk of terrain from a planet generate load on the server, especially when people do that just for fun (and it ruins landscapes, planets, immersion, ...). 

• 2 weeks later...