News Feeds in DU.

SzaryWilk

On space stations we can build a special module...presenting information from a galaxy.

Available news feeds :

1) Economic information, e.g:

- in planetary system XYZ found huge deposits of raw material ABC........

2) War information, e.g:

- in planetary system XYZ there is an open armed conflict between corporation A and corporation B.........

3) Political information e.g:

- Corporation A and corporation B formed alliance designed to take economic control of the planet ABC......

Information to "News Feeds" system may write only DEVs.

I don't know if you've seen it or not, but there was a thread with very similar ideas as to you have proposed.

I will link it anyway just in case :)..

Link: https://board.dualthegame.com/index.php?/topic/571-the-internet-in-game/

I like the idea of there being a internet in the game that either us players can manipulate or the devs. Way of getting communication around the game while still retaining the immersiveness of it..

nora,

The information about ore deposits seems like something I'd like to keep confidential. I know that if I travelled for several hours out into deep space to find a rare mineral, I wouldn't want other people coming directly to where I am because of the news feed.

On the other hand, I would like the opportunity to broadcast my own news feed. Perhaps even a way to customize which news feeds you receive, kind of like an RSS feed.

Perhaps this does better fit into the "Internet in-game" thread that nora mentioned.

I always liked the idea of a news system to state that x/y was happening in system/region a/b. They do it in EvE, but to a limited degree with only updates to war, Incursions and bounties. The ability to customize your own feed via a form of RSS would be ideal though to get rid of things you don't want to see or really care about.

However, I would also enjoy seeing the ability to write news, possibly, so that you open up an avenue for people to report on wars, successful stories of colonisation, etc. It could make things either interesting or I could have just suggested something terrible.

I always liked the idea of a news system to state that x/y was happening in system/region a/b. They do it in EvE, but to a limited degree with only updates to war, Incursions and bounties. The ability to customize your own feed via a form of RSS would be ideal though to get rid of things you don't want to see or really care about.

However, I would also enjoy seeing the ability to write news, possibly, so that you open up an avenue for people to report on wars, successful stories of colonisation, etc. It could make things either interesting or I could have just suggested something terrible.

The only suggestion that is terrible, is the one that suggests another one is terrible

This sentence probably passed right over so many heads and offended them instead. :)

It offended me at first, until I re-read it. 

Maybe it could be similar to No Man's Sky. Where you discover something, then upload it if you choose, so other can find/see it.

I like this, the ability to choose whether you want to upload information, not having it happen automatically. Some things should happen automatically, i.e, wars, alliance formation, organization ads, that sort of things. But some people just want a quiet sector of space to them selves. :P