Command Codes

CodeGlitch0

I have alluded to this in other posts, but I would like to see a built in support for authenticating users on you command consoles. For example, I hop out of my super sophisticated space fighter and walk around a bit. Meanwhile, player Joe decides he likes the chrome tailpipes of said sophisticated space ship and hops into the cockpit to take it for a spin around the galaxy. As he grabs the control stick, an authentication required message shows up asking for the flight command codes.

While I can also imagine a couple of ways to enforce this, using tags and permissions, it would be really nice if this short of support was baked in to the system core by the devs.

Your thoughts?

I've seen suggestions about hacking on the forums. It would be interesting to have a "hacking" mechanic added to this so that someone could in theory break into a console with the right equipment and time. 

I played a lot of space games and one of my favorites had hacking and capturing of enemy ships, even in space. There was a lot of technicalities of course. The shields had to be down, the ship had to be close 1km I believe , and your computer had to have special software you bought separately. That said, codes for ownership were supposed to come with every new ship. So even finding an old ship drifting in space, you'd need a set of codes to claim it. So personal codes might well be needed, not just for ownership but for claiming disabled or captured ships as well.

I think this is addressed with the Rights and Duties Management System.  You can read more about it here:

https://devblog.dualthegame.com/2015/05/21/rights-duties-management-system/

You won't be able to steal a ship owned by someone.

You can also set tags on different ship assets.  This will allow you to provide rights to the bridge for multi-user ships, via rights to the doorway.  You can also set rights to specific users, so they can only perform certain functions on the bridge.

This will allow you to give access to "vetted" players, while still allowing a group of players act as a boarding party who aren't vetted.  They would just be placed in the cargo hold with no rights to the rest of the ship.

stealing from other players wasn't what I meant, exactly, but salvaging disabled ships after a battle, or finding an old shot up ship floating in space, all these things are more than possible, and even possible to do when fighting...not everyone wants to die, give them the chance and even npc captains might decide that taking a space walk beats death.