Character Customisation

How my Character looks will be very important for players like me, especially in a game like this - vast, social with thousands of players interacting. For RP gameplay even more so. I've often played or not played MMO's based on the strength of their character customisation...it means that much to me.

When I look at the screenshots, everyone is walking around in helmets, which isn't going to be realistic or immersive unless you're on a planet with no oxygen. Most Players want to be able to look unique, not just be a faceless drone you can't tell apart from everyone else. I would hope that, it being a new game, DU will have at least something like Eve online's Caracter Customisation - manipulating Hair, eyes, face and body shapes, etc.

I know the game is pre alpha and cc might not be a priority right now. But I just hope the Devs know how important it is to many players.

For the alpha, probably just helmets. It's just going to be a test version anyway. For the launch, or as an update after launch, I certainly hope this will be implemented. I for one am a huge fan of character customization, and every detail, every facial muscle must be exactly so, for all the attention that anyone pays :D

Fingers crossed.

On the topic of character customization there are two things I would *really* like to see that very few games actually use:  Transparent visors and customizable space suits.  I don't know whether players will typically spend much time outside of their space suits but it seems that a lot of games completely remove any individuality as soon as you put on a space suit regardless of how deep the customization is otherwise.  A transparent visor can go a long way towards making those options mean something and changing colors, parts or base models on the suit itself can add more options.

Decals are another option I would like to see.  Ideally I would want to see multiple decal slots on a given outfit (and on ships).  One example I was talking about with AlexWright set one logo for the Cerberus Expeditionary Fleet and one logo for individual ships or players, so any individual in the organization might have a Cerberus patch on the right shoulder and a ship-specific patch on the left shoulder.

On the topic of character customization there are two things I would *really* like to see that very few games actually use:  Transparent visors and customizable space suits.  I don't know how whether players will typically spend much time outside of their space suits but it seems that a lot of games completely remove any individuality as soon as you put on a space suit regardless of how deep the customization is otherwise.  A transparent visor can go a long way towards making those options mean something and changing colors, parts or base models on the suit itself can add more options.

Decals are another option I would like to see.  Ideally I would want to see multiple decal slots on a given outfit (and on ships).  One example I was talking about with AlexWright set one logo for the Cerberus Expeditionary Fleet and one logo for individual ships or players, so any individual in the organization might have a Cerberus patch on the right shoulder and a ship-specific patch on the left shoulder.

Ah yes - similar to Warframe's clan and alliance emblems. The emblems were completely editable and importable by clan leaders and you could puchase and display these emblems on the shoulders as a hologram. 

Could we take it a step farther and import models, that we ourselves or someone else made as our character? Maybe have a template that is downloadable and editable? Maybe even just the heads? I think it would be amazing to have this option. Even if I have to pay extra for it.

How my Character looks will be very important for players like me, especially in a game like this - vast, social with thousands of players interacting. For RP gameplay even more so. I've often played or not played MMO's based on the strength of their character customisation...it means that much to me.

When I look at the screenshots, everyone is walking around in helmets, which isn't going to be realistic or immersive unless you're on a planet with no oxygen. Most Players want to be able to look unique, not just be a faceless drone you can't tell apart from everyone else. I would hope that, it being a new game, DU will have at least something like Eve online's Caracter Customisation - manipulating Hair, eyes, face and body shapes, etc.

I know the game is pre alpha and cc might not be a priority right now. But I just hope the Devs know how important it is to many players.

In my opinion I'm not really bothered a huge deal by this. I would like a gender and face/hair customization along with maybe changing the color of your suit (like SE), but beyond that i don't see any value being gained from it as the game is going to be almost 100% in first person.

Yeah you can see other people to interact with and they might all look alike, but the majority of the game i think is going to be either in space or inside vehicles, so you'll have a helmet on or just not be able to see them.

It would be nice to have I will admit, but once i'm in the game actually doing things I very quickly stop noticing all the differences between people, especially when there is some notification on my screen of 'who' they are, like WoW/GW2 ect having a player name above them.

Nice to have, but for me it wouldn't need to be very complex to make me happy. Grant some is needed so everyone's not a clone :)

Could we take it a step farther and import models, that we ourselves or someone else made as our character? Maybe have a template that is downloadable and editable? Maybe even just the heads? I think it would be amazing to have this option. Even if I have to pay extra for it.

I think this will end up being a no, i know we can't import models ourselves, as detailed in a few other threads, but there is nothing said about using a template to 'customize' our character I just think that there will be other priorities and limitations do doing something like this.

Think of the extra effort to make a extra section of the game that you use to download/import/customize a character like a stand alone character creator, i would prefer any extra effort that would be spent on this to be put back into the game in my opinion.

However, if it was easy or the devs had a way to do it without affecting the main part of the game i wouldn't be against it, i would probably spend a couple hours playing about with it to make my character, but like i said above, if it's not there I don't think i'd care either way.

If these things are put in i will use them, but for me personally i would not need them to enjoy the game or the character i make :)

nora,

I've never played EVE but it seems like you never actually see your character... just your ship... there's almost no out of ship movement... and if you see yourself or another's character at all it's as a video communications transmission...

Dual Universe could go that route... But I don't think it will.  With the emphasis on the seamless transition from ground to ship... and the possibility of personal combat when your capitol ship gets boarded and your fellow crew mates have to fight off the boarders...

There will have to be lots of equipment and dyeing to give yourself different looks...

As for the model itself... I only really want extensive face customization. Some basic body types... like 10 or so... no sliders is all I care to have for the rest... but the Face... hair... face hair... scars... tattoos... face paint... make up... That I want lots and lots of customization.

1 thing I've always wanted.  To be able to freely position and rotate tattoos and other markings.  It's so frustrating when game offer such markings but I can't change where on the face and what orientation they are...

Bonus points if you can upload your own markings and use those.  Or if you don't want to do that... Out source the markings creation to the community during development.  I'm sure you could get hundreds of different textures to use in short order.

I hope they could make something like Black deserts character costumization. (not the classes and genderlocks, that was shite, I more mean like the real costumizable stuff) 

Like stance, how you look, how old you are, your body shape. I am not sure actually if this game will have classes or an open skill tree :D

Customization is an absolute essential part of multiplayer gaming these days. If we are all running around in generic space suits, it would certainly detract from the game, in my opinion. I'd actually love to see organizations be able to import their own logos in order to have those as optional displayed patches on characters or logos on ships. I know that isn't something easily implemented in an MMO style game, but that sort of customization certainly brings a lot to immersion, when you see a fleet of ships all with the same banner.

Customization is an absolute essential part of multiplayer gaming these days. If we are all running around in generic space suits, it would certainly detract from the game, in my opinion. I'd actually love to see organizations be able to import their own logos in order to have those as optional displayed patches on characters or logos on ships. I know that isn't something easily implemented in an MMO style game, but that sort of customization certainly brings a lot to immersion, when you see a fleet of ships all with the same banner.

i dont know how viable the import is for probably different reasons that is beyond me honestly. But if NQ had different pre existing elements that you could work with to make a banner and a logo for the suits then it would be very easy to accomplish the same goal

i dont know how viable the import is for probably different reasons that is beyond me honestly. But if NQ had different pre existing elements that you could work with to make a banner and a logo for the suits then it would be very easy to accomplish the same goal

Yes. It's not that hard to design a simple pixel pain program now and even if you had a 200x200 area, you could do some really detailed work.

Even if you had a picture open in another window, you could potentially copy each individual pixel and create a very detailed image.