Space, can we lose it?

MechMercant

Recently some people on the fourums had the idea of the benifit of claiming newwly generated systems vs, taking systems that someone else already has claimed.

An Though occured to me tough, if a territory becomes abandoned, will it disaper?

The idea seams stupid but if something would crack me upp is fidning out that suddenly my home turf is gone.

........warrning...........

......spelling..errors.....

He means the territory claims.

Devs stated there would be a Territory Unit that would have to be protected, so if a territory had been abandoned eventually the shield/energy would run out so it would be vulnerable and someone could break in an destroy the TU.

We dont't know how expensive TU are going to be but I suspect that most territories would be controlled by medium to large organisations due to the cost, maintenece and defense required to keep them going. I suspect individuals will either build bases in the wild and try and keep them hidden or rent space in an organisations territory.

I think it needs to be very well thought out .. Remember that the Devs stated a while back how hard they want it to be to even make a TU! to spend all that time to get 1 and use it and then have an org just sit and wait and rip it from you in 5 mins is going to be heart braking </3

I think once a TU is placed it should at least have 7 days before it can be attacked to give players a chance. I know that PvP and turf wars are going to be something epic and that we all want but lets not have it get to out of hand. Just my thoughts anyway ...

The inference there is logical if you look at how settlements evolve organically - which in the canon story is what happens.

Perhaps the model  is that the more people settling in an area, more important perhaps than building buildings (a population based zone of control model for the strategic layer of the game is a tried and true approach - did I see that in the videos?) - the more power a TU has.

If a settlement dies - people move away, the zone of control shrinks or loses power.

The question is - is it link to actual players, or are there NPC citizens as background flavour in DU? I do hope so given the community expectation seems to be that "we're all going to space yeahah!!!" as soon as possible - that is always a killer in MMO games - even in popular games there isn't the feel of a living settlement like one gets in say Assassin's Creed - I don't want to interact with them 99.9% of the time - it's just nice background immersion.

Alternatively if it's pure player driven, the game hopefully will be really Alioth Ark from Day 1 of landing, in real time, and it will be months or years before we get to space so that the planet develops real population centers. Even a population density like Fallout 4 would be decent.

Just thoughts.