Volunteer Moderation

Comrademoco

This has more to with the forums rather than the game itself.

Seeing that most gaming communities have volunteer moderation to keep the community healthy.

My question to Nyzaltar is, how is this going to be tackled in the DU forums?

Well I'd say we need someone doing that job, as there's a spambot running rampant on the forum right now.

Hehe, exactly the reason why I posted this. *cough* If position is available, I'll be happy to volunteer.

Hi Comrademoco and Spacelike,

Indeed, there's some spambot problem since a few days.

We are going to discuss the matter today and we will take all appropriate measures to get rid of this nuisance as soon as possible.

We also plan to open some volunteer moderator positions in the future, and I will use our team meeting today to get more information about when.

You're welcome!

It seems the problem might not be completely solved before next Monday.

I will be around during this week-end to clean the forum if necessary.

And about having volunteer moderators, there will be a few open positions as soon as the community grows to a certain size.

hehe, seem like the spambot doesn't want to go away. If I may suggest a couple things to alleviate the problem.

• (Can't remember if this is on already) Turn on Email Verification - send a code to the email which the user MUST use to log in into the forums (if possible)
  • I've seen a couple of "Guest" profiles. Turn that ability off
  • Have multiple user groups, by this I mean, after the user has verify the email address he/she is moved to a group (human verification group)
  • Add some Q&A verification process
  • (I've seen some forums do this) don't allow users to start new threads until they've reached X days registered, verify email, have X posts or don't allow posting after X amount of days or user has verified email.
  • Block the ability for users to start threads in the "Rules and Announcement" area or block thread starting for users in sections in which NQ staff will only be starting threads.

For the current registered spambots.

• Re-force user email verification
  • If all spambot accounts are using the same IP address, (might not resolve the issue) but block the IP address\
  • Move all current "Spamming" accounts to a "Quarantine" group that removes posting abilities. Don't delete account as they can be use to find the proper IP address of the spam bot.
  • If the spam accounts are using a same domain email address block that domain
  • Lastly, ban the accounts

Might also want to close registration for the time being.

Hopefully this can help get rid of the spambot.

Hi Comrademoco,

Yes, the spambots seem to have increased significantly their activity on Sunday.  

Fortunately, we have take some primary measures today that should keep them at bay.

A fix is also already in progress to include many of the things you have mentioned above.

(it was already planned on Friday but, it takes time to implement it properly)

The spambots were not suppressed immediately precisely to gather data about their behavior.

Now that we have enough data, all their accounts will be deleted soon.

Thanks for your patience on this matter!