Any ideas about the gameplay

The_Gentleman

Well, I will round up, what was able to see in the media available on the www:

* You will be able to craft your bases, ships and so on like it was possible in Space Engineers

* You will be able to land on planets and travel between them

* You will be able to do PvP and PvP in space

* You will be able to explore space

My question would be, how the whole concept is planned. Will all players have to start up economy by their own or will in the early game stages npc merchants seed items to the universe? Is there any idea how production and trading will work? Are there plans for mining, salvaging, etc.? Will the planets, systems, ... be able to claim by players? Or will players only be able to keep others out of their space while having active militia online? Will there be space for n00bs who want to get the basics of the game, where they are not easy victims for the hunters? Will there be any kind of PvE? How could that look like? Is a strong community and options of an game API usage for fan projects wanted or do you want to keep most tools by your own?

I know, you are currently in pre-alpha phase. So most of these won't be final concepts. But I would be interested in the direction DU is pointing? This would maybe help for us to discuss ideas of better or worse solutions you could get as feedback...

Well I'd like to address each of the things you pointed out in your post but I will simply say that it would be quicker and more accurate for you to read about it yourself through the devblogs, there is almost a devblog about each of the issues/points that you have raised, so i would suggest looking through them and then if you have any more questions i'll be more than glad to try and assist you with them, as will others on the forums :).. 

But yeah, the Devblogs are the place to find information about DU if you can't find it on the forums :)

Link: https://devblog.dualthegame.com/2016/06/10/dual-universe-at-e3-pc-gaming-show/

This is the latest DevBlog, i would suggest just going through them either from the start as it contains some lore that might be odd to read backwards :)

nora,

I had a long reply to this with some short answers but my phone messed up and I lost it.

But yeah in essence I was going to say the same thing Nora did, read the dev blogs they will answer most of your initial questions. Don't worry, it will create more to fill the void

My question was going to be "will there be 3rd person view?" Found the answer in the faq. I gotta say that already the first person only view has alienated some MMO players who only prefer to play in third person view, sometimes due to motion sickness. My only suggestion would be that maybe they should consider launching with third person view.

I'll try and blitz through some of your questions, but as nora and Devis say, the best thing is to read through the devblogs.

Concept: continuous single shard, voxel-based universe

Economy: true player led economy, but there will most probably (virtually confirmed I think) be some NPC merchants in the starting area selling some basic blueprints and equipment to bootstrap the process

Trading: players can setup up a trading post by deploying a Market Unit. System will be through buy and sell orders (very similar to Eve Online's market). There will also be a contract system.

Production: not much information on this yet, but we know that materials will be mined from the universe, and constructs will be crafted and designed by players. We have information on how the building aspect will work but not the rest.

Mining: yes but we don't know all the details of the process yet. We know that voxels can be sucked up from the universe using the kadpak and morpher - they're built into your character's arm and can pressurise everything you collect into a beautifully convenient anti gravity storage area.

Salvaging: no info yet as far as I can recall... hopefully

Claiming territory: yes, planets are split into thousands of hexes which can be claimed using territory claim units, but that will not necessarily stop people from walking on your land. But you can place automated defences along your borders amongst other things.

Noob zone: yes, the Arkship Secure Area (ASA), where all players first start the game, will be an area several km in radius (20km is an old figure, but it may change) where PvP is impossible. It may be possible to create more nopvp zones but that is still under consideration

PvE: eventually there might be but it's not a priority

For the rest, definitely go for the devblogs. Hope to see you around :)

My question was going to be "will there be 3rd person view?" Found the answer in the faq. I gotta say that already the first person only view has alienated some MMO players who only prefer to play in third person view, sometimes due to motion sickness. My only suggestion would be that maybe they should consider launching with third person view.

I think they do intend to, they will not have it for alpha and maybe not even for early beta. But I expect them to have it for launch. But remember thats a long way away. 

I think they do intend to, they will not have it for alpha and maybe not even for early beta. But I expect them to have it for launch. But remember thats a long way away. 

They are trying to avoid having a 3rd person and having the majority of the game in First person i think, they realise that building will be easier when you are in third person, but as far as i am aware they are not trying to do anything with third person at all yet, maybe like DD says post launch or later on in the kickstarter campaign maybe. But as i know it there will only be the first person view.

correct me if i'm wrong though :)

nora,

They are trying to avoid having a 3rd person and having the majority of the game in First person i think, they realise that building will be easier when you are in third person, but as far as i am aware they are not trying to do anything with third person at all yet, maybe like DD says post launch or later on in the kickstarter campaign maybe. But as i know it there will only be the first person view.

correct me if i'm wrong though :)

nora,

Well it probably depends on when the mainstream MMO gamers get on board and begin to dump their suggestions, and yeah maybe it could be a stretch goal. As of now the game isn't widely known yet and people are just now hearing about it. I made a thread about it before the MMORPG.com article and a few said they would avoid it due to it being 3rd person.

It will be more "FPS like".

That works, especially in a space game. I wonder how deep it will be, will we have abilities as well or just, like, weapons that do things like heal for example.

I'll try and blitz through some of your questions, but as nora and Devis say, the best thing is to read through the devblogs.

Concept: continuous single shard, voxel-based universe

Economy: true player led economy, but there will most probably (virtually confirmed I think) be some NPC merchants in the movie area seeking some basic blueprints and equipment to bootstrap the process

Trading: players can setup up a trading post by deploying a Market Unit. System will be through buy and sell orders (very similar to Eve Online's market). There will also be a contract system.

Production: not much information on this yet, but we know that materials will be mined from the universe, and constructs will be crafted and designed by players. We have information on how the building aspect will work but not the rest.

Mining: yes but we don't know all the details of the process yet. We know that voxels can be sucked up from the universe using the kadpak and morpher - they're built into your character's arm and can pressurise everything you collect into a beautifully convenient anti gravity storage area.

Salvaging: no info yet as far as I can recall... hopefully

Claiming territory: yes, planets are split into thousands of hexes which can be claimed using territory claim units, but that will not necessarily stop people from walking on your land. But you can place automated defences along your borders amongst other things.

Noob zone: yes, the Arkship Secure Area (ASA), where all players first start the game, will be an area several km in radius (20km is an old figure, but it may change) where PvP is impossible. It may be possible to create more nopvp zones but that is still under consideration

PvE: eventually there might be but it's not a priority

For the rest, definitely go for the devblogs. Hope to see you around :)

The dev blogs are a good read, but they don't answer much(any?) more than your good list of answers. :) We all will have to see, when the next infos will show up and what they look like. Still all those questions fill a purpose: the devs see what is interesting the most, what is driving potential customers, what is lacking in the blogs currently and perhaps even, in what direction they will go in areas they have not decided yet.