Remember Overwatch

ostris

After spending some time on the Dual Universe Facebook, kickstarter page and these forums I have noticed a lot of very negative feedback about the subscription price model. It actually got me down a bit seeing how many people were saying things like "sub game, I'm out." And i just wanted to say to people who may be feeling a little down about all the negative feedback(The NQ Dev and community manager as well):

Remember Overwatch.

For those that don't know Overwatch got a lot of flak when they announced that it would be $40 pc/$60 console. In fact I was able to find this post from 10 months ago simply by Googling Overwatch overpriced:

https://www.reddit.com/r/truegaming/comments/3rughx/so_overwatch_will_be_40_am_i_alone_in_thinking/

At the time I remember what felt like a HUGE amount of the player base saying very similar things about Overwatch that are now being said about DU. "Full price for an Arena pvp style game, I'm out." Players saying things like the devs were out of touch, that these types of pvp games are all f2p now,  it should be f2p and players can just buy heroes like every other game. The blizzard dev team knew that hero swapping was simply too important to the games concept to allow for a f2p and buy heroes style game. They knew that to have a good game they needed to sell all the heroes in a package so that teams weren't held back by a player who only owned two heroes and was getting counter picked. In short they priced the game the way it needed to be priced to make the game work. Overwatch has become extremely successful and has sold millions of copies.

I just wanted to say to the dev team if you make a good game people will buy it and pay a sub fee or whatever pay system. Just do what is best for the game and the vision you have for it. To the community and the dev team, if you are feeling a little down, like I was, about the amount of negative feedback just remember that other games have gone through similar problems and come out extremely successful.

Well said, I dont play overwatch seriously I just play a few rounds once in a while for fun. But I'd have never touched it at all if it had gone the F2P path.

It's quite enjoyable knowing I can just log on and dont feel any pressure to buy a bunch of stuff in order to think I'm getting the full experience of the game. Its a real wonder that people nowadays are willing to play half a game as long as they wrongly imagine they are only paying for the parts of the game they want to pay for.

Dual Universe will be great

People pay $15 a month to play Warcraft like 15yrs after release.. It will be fine. If you don't have a job to pay the fee, your butt should be out looking for one and not sitting on a forum complaining or playing a game.

I have to agree. I myself am old enough to get a job now but I haven't gotten around to it for personal reasons. I'm not worried, though, because I managed to get into the Alpha just because I was interested in seeing this game succeed. By contributing. Hopefully, I'll be able to get into the Beta just the same way. I'll be able to pay the subscription by the time the game is ready.

Players have to realize that an online game needs a way to pay for the online feature overtime.

F2P can simply not exist by itself. A F2P is only free because either you have to see intrusive commercials or someone else is paying for premium content, therefore limiting the 'free' user to play half the game. Not to talk about the P2W odds this allows.

Full price for an online game means that the money is raised for the game itself. But what happens in the long term? Expansions? I prefer to be certain of the monthly fee I'll be paying than unsure of when will a full-priced expansion will come, unless I want to continue playing half a game if I choose not to expand.

Realize that many players that said "Overwatch B2P? I'm out", bought the game a few days after release. It doesn't matter what they say, most people can pay and will, for a game worth its price. 

100% agree. Also, it is human nature to moan about something. 18EUR - Price so big, snip snip snip... "Hold on guys, sub price would be 10-13EUR only" - "13EUR - Price so big, snip snip snip"

But in the end majority of those cryers will sub without any doubt inside, if trial-time will be enjoyable for them. And money question will be on background.