Are we going to have the ability to import 3d models?

VanuBaguio

I noticed in the trailer (at 0:29) that the large ship looked very familiar.

This is a 3d model from here: http://www.turbosquid.com/3d-models/scifi-frigate-3d-max/718387

382296bf2a29ea98b390a836eec58883.jpgships_forest.jpg

I have played space engineers a lot and I think it would be amazing if I could import my S.E. creations into this game (I obviously need to convert my ships into 3d model files first though).

The devs could have their own method, or they could have hand built. If you hadn't noticed the big ship featured in the pictures is a Daedalus class BC from Stargate. It is either the early model of the Daedalus or the Hammond/Icarus. Having trouble pinning down the source of the original design.

I'd love the ability to import my own model, but it could cause problems as mentioned in another thread on the matter.

Those with better design tools get an advantage, although I wouldn't say eneough to worry. The bigger problem is peopleaking money off someone else work. I could do your model or some random one and upload it as my own design.

The devs could have their own method, or they could have hand built. If you hadn't noticed the big ship featured in the pictures is a Daedalus class BC from Stargate. It is either the early model of the Daedalus or the Hammond/Icarus. Having trouble pinning down the source of the original design.

I'd love the ability to import my own model, but it could cause problems as mentioned in another thread on the matter.

Those with better design tools get an advantage, although I wouldn't say eneough to worry. The bigger problem is peopleaking money off someone else work. I could do your model or some random one and upload it as my own design.

I know that thread, and i still stick by what i said in it, that there should be no method to import and works into the game via third party programs. It gives people a unfair advantage as they have better tools to design and create there ships and can do it using professional tools like blend, autodesk, ect ect ( I don't know many tools).. 

I just can't seem to find the thread, and this annoys me, usually i can find any thread. Bah, i might just be tired, if i think on i'll have to come back and link it, but there is a thread out there somewhere that has a discussion on the importing objects into DU and peoples suggestions on why we should or shouldn't do it :)

I think it would be difficult in importing into a voxel bases world.  My assumption would be that the import file would be a mesh.  That would mean there would need to be some software tool that converts the mesh into a voxel based world (since everything is destructible).   My expectation is that where the game might provide modules that you can use--instead of making them voxel by voxel--importing your battlecruiser of doom may be beyond what can be done. 

I would be happy if we could just import some of our own created textures to wrap exiting game pieces, or be able to create custom textures for people that can be sold via some in game mechanism.  Expectation being that all textures would need to be approved by Novaquark, and since that would have costs involved, they would take a cut of sales.  Similar in what SOE/Daybreak did with their Player Studio mechanism.  I would think that Novaquark is going to want some say in what can and can't come into their world (either for IP or cosmetic issues).   The "Mr. Sausage Dreadnought" would be right out  :)

Personally I would LOVE to import my stuff from 3ds max which is pretty well the standard for 3d ship modeling. But it really wouldn't be fair and hope the devs have some kind of in-game development scheme. 

Personally I would LOVE to import my stuff from 3ds max which is pretty well the standard for 3d ship modeling. But it really wouldn't be fair and hope the devs have some kind of in-game development scheme. 

Well I've imported ships into Starmade and Space Engineers. its not that hard at all.  As long as you have the tools.  Both games at this moment do not have any in game tools to do it but  very talented players created their own tools to do it. So it may happen anyway because usually someone finds away to do it.

Plus space engineers and Starmade have talked about putting a in game tool that allows players to import their models. It's really not a big deal because some players like to spend their free time detailing models and flying  their models around. Builders like me can do both, I can import but I love my original ships that build as well. If this game truly is about freedom then adding a system to import 3d models should be part of it in my opinion. Honestly if players going to build a star wars or stargate ship then I think they should use a 3d model because when iconic ships aren't built correctly it kind of takes something away from it in my opinion.  

I think it would be difficult in importing into a voxel bases world.  My assumption would be that the import file would be a mesh.  That would mean there would need to be some software tool that converts the mesh into a voxel based world (since everything is destructible).   My expectation is that where the game might provide modules that you can use--instead of making them voxel by voxel--importing your battlecruiser of doom may be beyond what can be done. 

For starmade SMedit was used to convert it into blocks of a specified type, then create a BP of the ship to use in game. It would have to be something similar. 

Well I've imported ships into Starmade and Space Engineers. its not that hard at all.  As long as you have the tools.  Both games at this moment do not have any in game tools to do it but  very talented players created their own tools to do it. So it may happen anyway because usually someone finds away to do it.

Plus space engineers and Starmade have talked about putting a in game tool that allows players to import their models. It's really not a big deal because some players like to spend their free time detailing models and flying  their models around. Builders like me can do both, I can import but I love my original ships that build as well. If this game truly is about freedom then adding a system to import 3d models should be part of it in my opinion. Honestly if players going to build a star wars or stargate ship then I think they should use a 3d model because when iconic ships aren't built correctly it kind of takes something away from it in my opinion.  

The problem will be that I assume all blueprints will be held server side not client side in DU. 

And I purposely make some modifications to may designs like the Daedalus just because I know it wont be perfect. I make it different enough to be its own class.