City+ Construction

HorridDreams

This is gonna be a long one probably so be ready. What if you could create an entire city or even bigger? Let's say you build yourself a nice guy in the middle of nowhere. A few days later someone stumbles upon it. They ask to stay the night and you accept. They say they want to live there but would need their own house. You build them a house and they begin spreading word. More people show up and you make more houses for them. You eventually grow into a small town with a marketplace and essential needs. Diverse people with different talents and abilities start working to let the town provide for itself. You slowly grow into a city with hundreds of people working their way to the top. You eventually grow large enough and make a safe town hall decked with guards and technology of security. You choose if your land is capitalistic communist etc. Hitmen begin showing giving needs for cops and other protective services. You control the laws of the land and immigration. Factories run and all is good or bad in your land, depending on how you run it. This was just a small idea I came up with while talking to my friend. She gave me the courage to actually write this as a suggestion so credit to her for that. Thanks for reading.

Welcome to the forumns. I suggest you read the dev blogs as they will help you a lot here. In particular these 2, but reading from the begining gives you an idea of the overall game direction NQ is going for. 

https://devblog.dualthegame.com/2015/07/24/territory-control/

https://devblog.dualthegame.com/2015/05/21/rights-duties-management-system/

In short I will answer a few question, but feel free to ask more. 

Will this be possible, yes. How will you implement it is up to you. Aside from the ARK there will be no NPC towns or protections from what we have been told. The markets will be completely player driven. The devs do have plans on the market infrastructure for us to use to buy and sell goods, what what is sold and bought is up to us. 

TCUs allow you to claim the land, and the tag system allows you to assign rights to it, even renting constructs out.

The blogs give more detail, but you should be able to set up any kind of system you wish for a government, if you have one at all. Defenses will be entirely up to the players, unless you are in the Ark protection zone. Things like taxes and usage fees can be implimented with the tag systems, and even payrolls, allowing you to fund your city and pay for things it needs. 

They really are trying to go for complete freedom so they players can do as they choose. 

Welcome HorridDreams. Very nice post :). This is exactly the type of emergent gameplay that DU are going for with this game.

As well as building houses, you could just sell blueprints for the house so that others can build their own. Maybe some people come but want something a little different so you charge extra for custom blueprints.

Political systems are also planned for the game. You can create an organisation, and the owners can vote on how it is run and who gets powers over its assets. It could be organised like anything from a small company, a corporation, a military unit, a kingdom, a nation - or anything else. Your organisation may be a member of a larger organisation, which may in turn be owned by another. It's a very flexible system and there's a devblog on how it works https://devblog.dualthegame.com/2015/03/20/organizations-build-your-corporation-faction-nation-or-empire/

I'll get carried away and take your story a little further. Perhaps other cities grow alongside yours, and trade routes appear between the different markets. You band together to form a primitive nation. Maybe you outlaw certain goods that cause trouble and set up checkpoints to stop smugglers. Eventually you collectively manage to build a ship capable of reaching space, and from there the story continues.

And none of that mentions the constant conflict that could be occurring at every stage...

Players like yourself, with a vision of a house becoming a city, can be a part of this kind of story. Hope to see you around on the forum with more ideas.

Well them two seem to have wrapped up the whole topic nicely and now i feel like the only thing left to do is to Welcome you to the forums.

So, Welcome to the forums :)

I would like to add though that when you claim an area using a TU you can not only claim the areas on the planet surface, but you will be able to claim space. So there is nothing stopping your from taking your idea of having a large bustling city on the planet to just simply creating your own planet (near enough) that you can control and develop over time too.

Just think of building a cybertron or curosaunt.. (damn spelling).. you will be able to do that once you are in space. Which i think is awesome, especially when you consider space stations and constructs are one and the same, so you would be able to fly your planet base around, and settle it into a new orbit if you like.

Moon Base one doesn't just have to orbit earth if you make it yourself ;)

nora,