Hi, this looks like the game I wanted to play

Well then you will be at an impasse. If the Devs pull it off, there will be no biggest ship possible. 

I too have plans for some pretty massive constructs. Some of us even discussed the possibility of a ringworld years down the road, just to say we did it. 

Welcome man, and I suggest reading the dev blogs to help get caught up. 

Aye, the game looks awesome and the idea incredible. But like all sandboxes it won't be easy to get it fair for the n00bs and the veterans. It's important for both factions to have fun in each phase of the game. I'm excited about in which direction DU is sailing. I cannot await Kickstarter campaign!

"biggest ship possible"......You'll be able to, you will be able to ;)

Welcome on forum.

Actually, you won't. I don't actually think there's a limit on ship size, so the biggest ship possible is of infinite size, or as large as the servers can handle :)

Have fun with that...and welcome to DU!

Hi I watched this at E3 and I can't wait to build the biggest ship possible  :D

Welcome to DU and congratulations you are now one of us :)

I want to add to what other people are saying, given that you don't have a 'max ship size' you also will need to build it, and it's been speculated that even just getting the required skills and materials to build your first ship could take a month, if you pull off building the biggest ship i will give you all the kudos you require :)

But good luck with it, i will look forward to seeing what you can manage to make with the potentially unlimited size of ships and the universe.

nora,

Welcome. But size may not matter - it's how you use it.   :P  Often larger ships are susceptible to smaller ships so we shall see.  

Just remember it takes a long time to get to England in a rowboat... we at least if you're in America. If you're from England, not so much....

I agree it is usually balanced that way, but I have always found games did this for 'balance' yet it was completely stupid and unrealistic. If I can fit 20 massive cannons on my ship, why couldnt I take one or 2 off and replace them with 20 small ones, giving me something to shread those frigates. BSG did this right, it was a true battleship. It had everything on it.

While they should still have their uses, it wont be so clearcut as orbit the big guy and web him since he cant hit me.