NQ-Nyzaltar

Announcement: Dual Universe at E3 PC Gaming Show!

I enjoyed JC Baillie's presentation, it was cool to see him and see his enthusiasm. The video speaks for itself. Very nice, especially for a pre-alpha state.

I can't wait to try building, been mixing it up in Minecraft for that first person view and Landmark for the small voxel building.

Overall D.U. looks very promising. The fact that Novaquark has direction,  transparency, and some nice game play elements should be enough to grab the attention of a large audience.

Hi everyone! 

From the comments, it seems you all have enjoyed watching the Teaser! :D

(hint: it's really just a teaser, not a trailer... yet)

We are currently working to get a video for the part of the show where JC Baillie presented the game during the PC Gaming Show.

If all goes well, we should have that in the coming days.

Yes, player characters won't be limited in terms of where there will be able to go. You can leave the cockpit of your ship in space (not advised unless you're prepared, but... you can do it ;)). You can walk on the surface of player-made orbital stations, walk anywhere on each planet, etc. Complete exploration freedom.

The platform you see in the trailer are player-made to show what could be a environment where tech and nature are mixed, not something put here artificially by the dev team to limit player movements ;)

Best regards,

Nyzaltar.

I have to say by your description NQ-Nyzaltar - incredible! That is more than any game presently aspires to and with this kind of freedom, I think I may just have to cancel my EVE accounts.  

Oh, forgot to ask but will we be able to actually enter stations and buildings? Even build interior rooms?

Well if we couldn't where would the fun in that be? :D

Hey guys I missed the stream, Can anyone tell me a timestamp of when they interview? I don't wanna sift through 1 hour of livestream.

Hey guys I missed the stream, Can anyone tell me a timestamp of when they interview? I don't wanna sift through 1 hour of livestream.

Yes because I posted right after. They finiahed presenting at 8:50 pm forum time

Yes because I posted right after. They finiahed presenting at 8:50 pm forum time

I believe OnePercent means if he were to watch a video of the show, at what timestamp should he skip to in order to watch DU's segment.

Hi everyone! 

(Not much on the forum in the last 24h, more on the social media and building contacts with the press and all, but I will catch up during the week!)

During the wait to get the Dual Universe interview from the PC Gaming Show on our official channel, here is the link for the PC Gaming Show Archive Video:

(forward to 1h41m50s for a shortened version of the Teaser and JC Baillie interview)

Best regards,

Nyzaltar.

Hi everyone! 

(Not much on the forum in the last 24h, more on the social media and building contacts with the press and all, but I will catch up during the week!)

During the wait to get the Dual Universe interview from the PC Gaming Show on our official channel, here is the link for the PC Gaming Show Archive Video:

(forward to 1h41m50s for a shortened version of the Teaser and JC Baillie interview)

Best regards,

Nyzaltar.

Thanks for posting video. Watched the entire video but to be honest, nothing really piques my interest - other than DU. 

I picked up Space Engineers this past week and portions of the trailer remind me a great deal of that.  Are we looking at a superset of basic Space Engineers building, or something completely different?

I have been checking out the replies on the DU Youtube site and it is pretty clear people are interested! So glad DU provided footage - made all the difference. Of course there are a lot of naysayers on TheXPGamers site but this is expected given recent kickstarters (ie SC,ED). So a good start for DU; however, Devs should be careful not to become too complacent or take supporters for granted. Keep giving us tidbits and info; if they don't they could end up with the same kind of situation as Battlescape where interest was white hot but the Battlescape Devs kept pouring cold water all over potential supporters. Keep the communication up and again, well done DU. 

I picked up Space Engineers this past week and portions of the trailer remind me a great deal of that.  Are we looking at a superset of basic Space Engineers building, or something completely different?

It seems to be similar, there are inert 'structural' (voxel) parts and mesh components that add functionality. We dont have much information on the details yet though to know exactly. I expect it to be similar to Planet Explorers build system, and the teaser supports that. 

It seems to be similar, there are inert 'structural' (voxel) parts and mesh components that add functionality. We dont have much information on the details yet though to know exactly. I expect it to be similar to Planet Explorers build system, and the teaser supports that. 

Indeed, on this aspect, the way you build a spaceship in Dual Universe at the moment is quite similar to Space Engineers. But this might change a bit as the game develops (to balance ship building, some energy / mass / fuel constraints might be included. But it's too soon to talk about this in details ;))

Best regards,

Nyzaltar.

Indeed, on this aspect, the way you build a spaceship in Dual Universe at the moment is quite similar to Space Engineers. But this might change a bit as the game develops (to balance ship building, some energy / mass / fuel constraints might be included. But it's too soon to talk about this in details ;))

Best regards,

Nyzaltar.

It's never too soon for details. You've put the IV in me already. Now quit disabling my button and feed me the drugs.

Wow the first video looks awesome, I also picked space engineer but it lacks a lot, specially when it comes to landing on planet surfaces it is horrible, no control whatsoever in your engines when landing, that really stinks for a game.

Well, thank goodness for E3 and youTube, as this is how I found out about this project. I am looking forward to hearing and seeing more updates in the future.

Cheers to all!

Best regards,

Nyzaltar.

See this is what I mean, that's like a big teasing statement that just excites us and you know it's going to be causeing palpitations.

Like mass, I don't know if there is anything else on the forums confirming mass, or even fuel constraints yet or if its all just player speculation, but you've teased now. You got to satiate my thirst for more information by adding onto that :)...

Nora,

Hi,

After I saw the trailer, I took some time to take a look at the dev blog and I saw a lot of awsome looking stuff. The potential for this game is just gorgeous. I'm aware this is still early preview of the intended game. Still I have some technical questions. You seem to think of making gigantic planets using voxels. The point of using voxels is, I think, to have 3D terrain features. Everything you showed looked like a heightmap. Do you plan on making stuff like caverns or archs? And then, if everything is editable at a resolution of 1 meter. Then a 100km planet would represent roughly 100000*100000 * 4 * 3.14 =~ 100 billion square meters of surface. If you edit this on a 100meter shell then it represents 10 trilion voxels. If you can store a voxel on 100 octet (and it might be a lot more), then it represents 1000To of data. How will you handle that much?

Thanks

Bon chance!

See this is what I mean, that's like a big teasing statement that just excites us and you know it's going to be causeing palpitations.

Like mass, I don't know if there is anything else on the forums confirming mass, or even fuel constraints yet or if its all just player speculation, but you've teased now. You got to satiate my thirst for more information by adding onto that :)...

Nora,

Hi,

After I saw the trailer, I took some time to take a look at the dev blog and I saw a lot of awsome looking stuff. The potential for this game is just gorgeous. I'm aware this is still early preview of the intended game. Still I have some technical questions. You seem to think of making gigantic planets using voxels. The point of using voxels is, I think, to have 3D terrain features. Everything you showed looked like a heightmap. Do you plan on making stuff like caverns or archs? And then, if everything is editable at a resolution of 1 meter. Then a 100km planet would represent roughly 100000*100000 * 4 * 3.14 =~ 100 billion square meters of surface. If you edit this on a 100meter shell then it represents 10 trilion voxels. If you can store a voxel on 100 octet (and it might be a lot more), then it represents 1000To of data. How will you handle that much?

Thanks

Bon chance!

I'm a fan just like you. And there has been a lot of talk weather the game can handle what it promises. Devs said they have come up with a solution with a single shared system.

And then technology is evolving. The game has 2 years until it comes out, plenty of time to get it working

I hope it'll be a bit simpler space engineers.. especially if they plan for it to hit console. Not that I mind spending time on a construction but hopefully it's a tad easier to construct :D I digress

E3 Trailer and everything else I have read about this sounds like an amazing goal.  I hope you guys hit it and I can end up enjoying the game!

Hi,

Thanks

Bon chance!

Hi Rognar and welcome! 

The trick is we don't store each voxel on the servers. Each planet is generated procedurally in real time by an algorythm when needed (when a player is approaching or on the planet). So a planet doesn't weight anything in terms of storage. This is exactly how it works in a game like No Man's Sky, the "magic" enabling devs to generate millions of planets without storing anything. Now, as we have editable planets, we go one step further: when a player edit something, we store just the modification(s) applied on the procedurally generated planet. That way, we optimize the space to store all the modifications made by players. 

I hope this answers your question.

Let me know if something is still unclear.

Best regards,

Nyzaltar.