Multi-threading?

DevisDevine

This is really a question for the Devs.

I know it is early in the game development but how many threads do you expect DU to be able to run?

I know multi threading is common now in games, especially voxel games, but most are limited to how many threads they can run at once. Typically I will see 4, but sometimes they go higher. 

One of the main reasons I am asking is in the next 6 months to a year I will start putting together a new computer to build (my current one runs great but the GF needs a hand me down so I get a new one) 

I am looking at getting a 6 core, but if I sacrifice a bit of clock speed I can go with an 8-core for nearly the same price. But if DU only runs 4 cores it isnt worth it. 

This is really a question for the Devs.

I know it is early in the game development but how many threads do you expect DU to be able to run?

I know multi threading is common now in games, especially voxel games, but most are limited to how many threads they can run at once. Typically I will see 4, but sometimes they go higher. 

One of the main reasons I am asking is in the next 6 months to a year I will start putting together a new computer to build (my current one runs great but the GF needs a hand me down so I get a new one) 

I am looking at getting a 6 core, but if I sacrifice a bit of clock speed I can go with an 8-core for nearly the same price. But if DU only runs 4 cores it isnt worth it. 

I too am curious about this. I bought a upgrade for my PC not to long ago with basically the latest of everything to run my Vive correctly.

Wonder if DU will make use of all the 'dormant performance' i have or if it will stick to the standard?

What do you mean by dormant performances?

And I was thinking about this more. They may push more of the CPU stuff to the servers and just push the clients the data to render. Meaning it would be more memory GPU heavy. They could go so many ways, I'm unsure of what's the best way for performance with a game this scale.