Billboards in DU.

SzaryWilk

I think it's a nice opportunity for corporations and merchants.

Possibility of building and placing billboard in the selected location. For example close to a planetary base or city, near space station.

On billboards we could place texts and pictures advertising our business in DU. What is displayed on the billboard could change.

I like it, I'm thinking a giant quafe bilboard. Assuming there are displays where people can place images and text it would be possible.

Companies could sell space on billboards they maintain, using a tag system where you pay so much a day while you're image is there. They would then be responsible for maintaining them and keeping players from blowing it up.

I wan't going to reply with something about making them out of voxels and then realised that if you had a specific element for displaying information you could have smaller and more precise information present on a billboard.

I like this idea, you could have the billboards not be billboards but just standard displays, so you could have them do other functions like show ship fuel, energy levels, shield output, inventory states ect.. Possibilities i would imagine are endless when you think how open they are wanting to make lua

I +1 this idea.. :)

nora,

Yeah. I was thinking the same, like computers in MC FTB, you could program them for various thing. Including display screens for external camera you use when maneuvering. Just stand there in front a wall of screens as you pilot

Yeah. I was thinking the same, like computers in MC FTB, you could program them for various thing. Including display screens for external camera you use when maneuvering. Just stand there in front a wall of screens as you pilot

I was thinking more of like what SE did with it's screens, where you can program them to show you all the different information that you want, that ran off a very basic language.. :)

nora,

Minecraft had that, at least in the FTB packages. There were computers that ran on LUA. You could even watch an 8bit starwars on it.

Give it the ability to load in images and text, make a super sized screen and you have a billboard. Or maybe even a video billboard.

Minecraft had that, at least in the FTB packages. There were computers that ran on LUA. You could even watch an 8bit starwars on it.

Give it the ability to load in images and text, make a super sized screen and you have a billboard. Or maybe even a video billboard.

What about voxels that just take on the purpose of a screen?.

You could build your own screen as long as you used the correct voxels in a square shape, or it could just use as much of the voxel space as it can in a square shape so you can have any shape you want but the screen will always just use a square.

That could be interesting, I'd like to know if voxels have properties or if there are just blocks. We don't really know anything about the voxels other than they are materials and you can build them, we know elements will have properties only because you can lua script them, but will voxels have any properties that we can tinker with, like colorchanging them or something ?

nora,

pixel art, sure you could make your billboard like that. It just isn't easily changed but some grouos wouldn't care. They may even want to hire someone to make it for them.

And one of the Dev blogs at least mentioned changing the voxels to change colors like painting, but I recall it was a block change (ie with different properties) not just am appearance. I would expect to get some sort of paint tool though.

I just suggested a computer screen so it's easily changeable and can be used for flashing images, more like modern billboards.

pixel art, sure you could make your billboard like that. It just isn't easily changed but some grouos wouldn't care. They may even want to hire someone to make it for them.

And one of the Dev blogs at least mentioned changing the voxels to change colors like painting, but I recall it was a block change (ie with different properties) not just am appearance. I would expect to get some sort of paint tool though.

I just suggested a computer screen so it's easily changeable and can be used for flashing images, more like modern billboards.

No, no, no.. not pixel art, I mean you just draw the voxels down in a shape of a screen and it becomes a screen like what you want. Where you don't have the 'screen element' you just have 'screen voxels'... Giving you the option to create a screen as big as you like but still have the functionality of what a 'element screen' would have.

nora,

Ah ok, my bad. Well my way would work but I get you now.something similar to the solar panel concept posted. I misinterpreted your idea.

MC did this too, when multiple monitors were tiled together in a rectangle they combined. There may be a limit DU would set as the max size though, could cause lag updating images on a 1km wide screen.

Then I could pay you to display a big target on your billboard, then precede to use it while sighting my guns in.

Ah ok, my bad. Well my way would work but I get you now.something similar to the solar panel concept posted. I misinterpreted your idea.

MC did this too, when multiple monitors were tiled together in a rectangle they combined. There may be a limit DU would set as the max size though, could cause lag updating images on a 1km wide screen.

Then I could pay you to display a big target on your billboard, then precede to use it while sighting my guns in.

You could have very rough, stealth tech if you could have a camera and a big screen. That would be an interesting this to see.. you are just floating towards a giant mirror of your own ship and suddenly it changes to a motherload of different ships all bearing down on you.

That would be both cool and terrifying, if not out of date for the time the game is set in, screen based stealth will be just a luxury to have when you have proper cloaking devices i guess.

nora,

I think it's a nice opportunity for corporations and merchants.

Possibility of building and placing billboard in the selected location. For example close to a planetary base or city, near space station.

On billboards we could place texts and pictures advertising our business in DU. What is displayed on the billboard could change.

As long as they don't overpower existing assets, sure.....and this is now being done in EVE. Saw a corporations advertisement just recently.