Dual Universe at E3

Ripper

This is almost the exact feeling I have towards the likes of Dayz ect. I just don't see the point in wandering around gathering when theres nothing to build/do with the things you have other than basic survivaly things.

No Mans Sky shot itself in the foot straight away with the way it's handled the multiplayer side of things.. Or the way it hasn't handled it. No Multiplayer just turned me from excited to bored in an instant.

nora,

I have not been keeping up with no mans sky. So, you are saying they do not have an online multiplayer option? Ya, that is a huge turn off and would take me from "possible playing" to "not gonna waste my time".

I have not been keeping up with no mans sky. So, you are saying they do not have an online multiplayer option? Ya, that is a huge turn off and would take me from "possible playing" to "not gonna waste my time".

Well I don't know if it's 'Zero Multiplayer' but i know that you can't do anything like grouping or spawning on friends and such, i think it's just 'Here have a random spawn, good luck'.. 

I don't think i've seen anything about what happens if you manage to be on the same planet as someone else at the same time. But my understanding is that there is no way so far to 'organize a way to do this'. It's basically just a single player game with the potential to 'meet' other players.

But like yourself, I stopped following it, after the multiplayer stuff came out, so this might all be old news now but doesn't change my thoughts on it either way now as DU will wipe the floor with it. :)

nora,

Some commentary on it

Ha, I'm just loving that they are totally speachless during the trailer. I agree with them on that part. I couldn't think of any words fitting to use during it myself :)

Ha, I'm just loving that they are totally speachless during the trailer. I agree with them on that part. I couldn't think of any words fitting to use during it myself :)

Yeah they are pretty skeptical, and bring up some good points in the video. I hope Novaquark can pull this off cause it sounds like a dream come true xD.

Yeah they are pretty skeptical, and bring up some good points in the video. I hope Novaquark can pull this off cause it sounds like a dream come true xD.

I'd love to see Shack and Wasted join the forums so they can ask all the questions they need. It'd be cool to have them :)

Some of their questions are answered in the devblogs.  Particularly about the single shard MMO and whether the tech is there.  https://devblog.dualthegame.com/2014/09/26/a-single-shard-continuous-universe-one-world-no-boundaries/

The latest I read was that they've tested their system with (1,000? Something on that order) simulated players and the CPU load increase was linear, which is what they're after.

Also multiplayer ships https://devblog.dualthegame.com/2015/01/30/multiplayer-ship-crew/

And scripting in LUA https://devblog.dualthegame.com/2015/09/18/lua-script-and-distributed-processing-units/

That's not to say that scepticism isn't justified.  It's a very ambitious project.  But I think we on the forums are very optimistic :)  Time will tell, and alpha is fast approaching...

Some of their questions are answered in the devblogs.  Particularly about the single shard MMO and whether the tech is there.  https://devblog.dualthegame.com/2014/09/26/a-single-shard-continuous-universe-one-world-no-boundaries/

The latest I read was that they've tested their system with (1,000? Something on that order) simulated players and the CPU load increase was linear, which is what they're after.

Also multiplayer ships https://devblog.dualthegame.com/2015/01/30/multiplayer-ship-crew/

And scripting in LUA https://devblog.dualthegame.com/2015/09/18/lua-script-and-distributed-processing-units/

That's not to say that scepticism isn't justified.  It's a very ambitious project.  But I think we on the forums are very optimistic :)  Time will tell, and alpha is fast approaching...

I think they had a lot of valid questions and concerns. First, as I have stated myself, C++ or any scripting is not conducive gameplay for the average player, so I would hate to see it go the the route of Space Engineers. One thing I have noticed, DEVs are great at making games but not so great at gameplay. That said, I think DU is the greatest potential of any game out there, even Battlescape which already has a massive system with real life sized planets and no loading screens. Clearly these guys are not up on the latest in game innovation. 

More feedback!

I tried to watch that but both the fact that he undersold DU's single shard gameplay and that I couldn't hear the word 'Guur' instead of 'Go' again i decided to stop watching.

I don't understand how people could compare this to NMS though, this is NMS but has all the point that NMS didn't have added into it and made better.

Potentially infinite Universe - Check

Countless Planets - Check (Same as NMS already)

Countless other players in the same area - Check

Limitless construction ability - Check

i could list a bunch more but you get the point, i think DU will blow NMS out of the water when it comes out. :)

nora,

More feedback!

There is just no pleasing the plebs. They want spaceships, DU gives them spaceships; they want planets, DU gives them planets; they want a billion systems, DU gives them a billion + systems; they want to build, DU gives them the ability to build; they want a true MMO on a single shard - DU provides. But then they bitch and complain DU is a ripoff of No Man's Sky? ROFL! Please....  

Fortunately the video clearly demonstrated the differences and was positive overall. Still, a little controversy may not be a bad thing.