How to colonize Planets ?

Azrael

Hello again !!

The universe is a harsh place, we all know that and we already spoke about that there would be a large number of planets.

And no one will look like the other.

We also know that we will be able to build on the planets. Maybe just an outpost or an City or a big trade planet who knows.

But the human race is a weak race. We Need a respirable atmosphere, water, Food, not too hot not too cold etc.

To come to the Point we Need earth like planets.

So would we be able to build on planets with a harsh Environment ?

Whats about terrarforming ?

I don't know 100% but i'm sure Terraforming has been confirmed as a no, but might be available in a kickstarter goal (maybe, might be confusing myself here).

As for the harsh environment, I don't think anything has been said about the different types of biomes and planet types yet. Can't think of anything that's been said at least. However there is a thread somewhere about planets and tentacle planets, or planets that would try to eat you and such.

I like the idea that there could be planets that you would have to build 'differently' on if you wanted to build there, like a water planet that you need to build floating buildings on, or attach it to the sea bed to be able to build. Or lava planets where you need to build supports of <rare material> into the lava before you can build normally. Or oxygen less planets where you would have to build inside domes or airtight buildings to be able to breath/replenish oxygen ect.

I hope there is something like them, I like having the extra challenge of where i'm going to build my base and ships. But I think a lot of this has been confirmed to be only if certain stretch goals for kickstarter are met. I think.

nora,

While hope some planets offer unique challenges, remember we have spacesuits and can survive in a vacuum. I'm sure, at least at first, your suit will protect you from the environment.

It would be nice if later on you could remove your suit on habitable planets, or non habitable if you wish to die. The lore does mention oxygen co tent and temp ranges of Alioth, slim sure it is being discussed

I don't know 100% but i'm sure Terraforming has been confirmed as a no, but might be available in a kickstarter goal (maybe, might be confusing myself here).

As for the harsh environment, I don't think anything has been said about the different types of biomes and planet types yet. Can't think of anything that's been said at least. However there is a thread somewhere about planets and tentacle planets, or planets that would try to eat you and such.

I like the idea that there could be planets that you would have to build 'differently' on if you wanted to build there, like a water planet that you need to build floating buildings on, or attach it to the sea bed to be able to build. Or lava planets where you need to build supports of <rare material> into the lava before you can build normally. Or oxygen less planets where you would have to build inside domes or airtight buildings to be able to breath/replenish oxygen ect.

I hope there is something like them, I like having the extra challenge of where i'm going to build my base and ships. But I think a lot of this has been confirmed to be only if certain stretch goals for kickstarter are met. I think.

nora,

Terraforming is an extensive word. I would like to say if you start to smooth a land it is a Kind of Terrarforming.

But again you illustrate an important Point ( I love your Point of view  ;)  )

If we are able to build in this harsh envirnoments like water planets, Lava planets, did we Need Special Buildings/Resources ? ( This is what Nora already said )

While hope some planets offer unique challenges, remember we have spacesuits and can survive in a vacuum. I'm sure, at least at first, your suit will protect you from the environment.

It would be nice if later on you could remove your suit on habitable planets, or non habitable if you wish to die. The lore does mention oxygen co tent and temp ranges of Alioth, slim sure it is being discussed

Oh please no dont come with such things I have to think about Space Engineers. How stupid this look if you jump around with your suit on earth like planets.

But please dont understand me wrong if you have to wear a Special or a Military suit its okay, just dont run around with them in a coffe shop :o

Edit: Now i read it you already said it would be nice to remove it in save Areas. :)

I hadn't considered this.

Nyzaltar said there would be a difference between planetary atmospheres and empty space "atmosphere".

Will every planet have a planetary atmosphere?

Will they be identical?

Will some be toxic?

I don't see the difference between a toxic atmosphere and empty space "atmosphere"  - Both will kill you

I hadn't considered this.

Nyzaltar said there would be a difference between planetary atmospheres and empty space "atmosphere".

Will every planet have a planetary atmosphere?

Will they be identical?

Will some be toxic?

I don't see the difference between a toxic atmosphere and empty space "atmosphere"  - Both will kill you

Aye, both will kill you, but one of them will slowly eat your suit away giving you a limited time to do your business and get back to safety before consuming you..... :)

nora,

Hello again !!

The universe is a harsh place, we all know that and we already spoke about that there would be a large number of planets.

And no one will look like the other.

We also know that we will be able to build on the planets. Maybe just an outpost or an City or a big trade planet who knows.

But the human race is a weak race. We Need a respirable atmosphere, water, Food, not too hot not too cold etc.

To come to the Point we Need earth like planets.

So would we be able to build on planets with a harsh Environment ?

Whats about terrarforming ?

Terraforming would be very good for players who start "today", but remember that other players can join the game in a few years. And what would they see?

Lots and lots of planets Earth around the galaxy,  

Terraforming would be very good for players who start "today", but remember that other players can join the game in a few years. And what would they see?

Lots and lots of planets Earth around the galaxy,  

Well the beauty of that is that if they don't like a planet or want to terraform their own planet, they simply need to just keep flying :)..

But i don't think it's fair to restrict the players who play from the start simply because you are worried about how new people years after launch will take the game. I think the immediate starting people will make up the player base for the duration of the game and people joining later on will either think there is better alternatives or not want to join half way through a MMO.

It's like joining WoW now, people who have played from the start are still playing, but by god if someone wants to start from new now, good luck to them continuing to play after a month or two, there are just better alternatives.

I do hope that DU can survive longer than the WoW 10 years+ thought, it looks like the game to do it also, since you can do anything you like :)

nora,

Not exactly planets but I'd like to take an asteroid and turn it into a space colony with an atmosphere and all the life support systems needed for humans to live inside the colony. I mean an asteroid would be similar to a planet just smaller and I'd use its surface to make supports for the colony and all the different rooms and areas within. Maybe even tunnel out some of the asteroid to provide areas too.

Not exactly planets but I'd like to take an asteroid and turn it into a space colony with an atmosphere and all the life support systems needed for humans to live inside the colony. I mean an asteroid would be similar to a planet just smaller and I'd use its surface to make supports for the colony and all the different rooms and areas within. Maybe even tunnel out some of the asteroid to provide areas too.

It has been discussed doing similar things. It would depend if asteroids are made like planets or more like voxel constructs you or i would create. If they are like a voxel construct then you should be able to. 

I plan to use them to drop onto peoples cities.