Drones in DU.

SzaryWilk

Writing drones I do not mean "the third-person view". I mean unmanned vehicles / ships, which operate automatically or can be controlled using special positions in our ship or base.

1) military drones :

- possibility of releasing them from bases on the surface of planets, for base defense.

- Released from ships in space.

2) support drones :

- used to build with blocks,

- collection of raw materials,

- in logistics for the transport of goods.

I was hoping someone would reply to you already on this with a bit more information. 

I wsa trying to find a quote someone replied to me with, it was either a direct quote or a paraphrase from a Dev, but I dont know the original source. It was something along the lines of "self replicating AIs will be possible" 

In short, from my understanding AI drones will be possible. This would cover #1 at least, but to what extent people are still unsure. 

I recommend reading this Dev blog on LUA and DPU's to get an idea of where they are going with automation in that sense. Now it is still a bit vague and leaves a lot of questions we all want to know the answers too, but with the simple system they are implementing you can use your imagination to see what it can lead too. 

https://devblog.dualthegame.com/2015/09/18/lua-script-and-distributed-processing-units/

If you would like an idea of the things I see possible with this system as described you can read the short story I wrote. The only additional thing I see I currently would need is a TX/RX system to send and receive commands to distinct entities remotely, which I suggest and discuss in the next link. 

The short story

https://board.dualthegame.com/index.php?/topic/516-alpha-base-discovered/#entry3256

Remote command suggestion

https://board.dualthegame.com/index.php?/topic/518-txrx-modules/#entry3273

As for topic 2 of yours, I am unsure about building, although I have suggested and asked about some sort of shipyard, but got no real information about that. 

Although it is uncertain, if the DPU and LUA scripting work as I understand you should be able to set up drone transportation systems. That will be a question as to how the navigation system works. It is likely to be a complex script to do so though. 

As for raw material collection, this got brought up recently in a post but I cannot locate it. It was in a thread suggesting ideas on slaves and robotic servants to harvest resources that came up today. Maybe Nora can locate it, he is good with that.  In short a Dev (I believe NQ-Nyzaltar but dont hold me to that) stated that yes, eventually they plan to implement some sort of automated harvesting system with drones, but it will likely be limited and not able to do every task there is. 

Yes yes... blame me while I'm not there to defend myself.. :)..

But the point is correct and I know where self replicating AI things are because it was me who linked you it :)... unfortunalty I'm on my phone so I can't really do much at the moment. Same with the topic on material collection I know where that is, but to much hassle for the time being to link on my phone, I'll come back... I hope.

But other than that, all I can add to what 'DD' said, (also, shortening you to DD because I can never remember how to spell it for some reason)..

Nyz has confirmed that you can create anything you want inside of lua from self replicating robotic drones to a full mech suit walker, so my thoughts on the matter would be that, you can build the drones to do what ever you like, given that you know enough about the system to get then to function correctly.

NQ is trying to make DU as open and free as they can, unless it impacts on the player negatively they are trying to avoid putting any restrictions on anything they are doing.

Good news for us, and if I remember I'll find them links once back on my desktop.

Nora,

xD hi

yes drones be a good thing! the only question is, for wich ship class?

but i think this will be possible to integrade

All of them.

Like I said in another thread there is no "ship class"... you make the ship, you decide it's size, you choose what to call it.

There is only one type of ship. 'A Ship' and you can do anything to that ship that you can to any other ship, regardless if.you have a planet sized Goliath ship or a little single person ship.

Only restrictions you'll have is the designing of it. Do you have enough power, enough thrust, enough turrets ect.

You design everything, if you want it, make it :)