Stats/Leveling

The_Reaper

I want to know about leveling, but for this i have to ask a lot of other questions. First off, and maybe most important, will there be a class system, and if so, how will it work? If there are classes, my personal favorite idea would be for it to simply give a "level" bonus in that area (assuming that there are level-esque things), and not determine your entire gameplay. For example, say there was a class, engineer. It would give you bonus exp, or levels in repair, or construction, and may give you some of the skills in that skill tree, but you could still just as easily get levels in stealth, heavy weapons, and diplomacy. If there are no classes, how will level ups work? I'm hoping for a system, regardless of classes or not, where you gain pending exp, and you can put this exp into whatever skill tree you want, but that probably won't happen. Finally will there be a stat bar? Will there be prerequisites for basic stats (strength, intelligence) to level certain skills, or to use certain weapons? If so, how will you level them, and if not, will there be prerequisites for using weapons at all?

I'm going to be the first of many to say this.. 

We don't know the exact details and in's and out's of how the stat system will work just yet, That is a question for Nyz, but i can predict his answer being somewhat vague and telling us we can't know just yet.

I do believe there will be no levels or classes of characters. But you can choose several stats to have as a main stat that you level up faster than the other. I do not know if they are permanent or if you can change them at will to different stats.

These are questions that I don't think will be answered for a while yet, as they have still to perfect the planet generation and building parts, the fundamentals, of the game. We don't even have a video of the game yet, so you have to question how far into development they are though.

I would suggest looking through the DevBlogs incase I've missing something or misrepresented something here. :)

I want to know about leveling, but for this i have to ask a lot of other questions. First off, and maybe most important, will there be a class system, and if so, how will it work? If there are classes, my personal favorite idea would be for it to simply give a "level" bonus in that area (assuming that there are level-esque things), and not determine your entire gameplay. For example, say there was a class, engineer. It would give you bonus exp, or levels in repair, or construction, and may give you some of the skills in that skill tree, but you could still just as easily get levels in stealth, heavy weapons, and diplomacy. If there are no classes, how will level ups work? I'm hoping for a system, regardless of classes or not, where you gain pending exp, and you can put this exp into whatever skill tree you want, but that probably won't happen. Finally will there be a stat bar? Will there be prerequisites for basic stats (strength, intelligence) to level certain skills, or to use certain weapons? If so, how will you level them, and if not, will there be prerequisites for using weapons at all?

I was going to make a post on this myself today, but I guess I will say what I wanted here. 

First off, as nora said, we dont know the exact system. From the Dev blogs and the lore I gathered that it would be a time based training system more than a grinding system, think Eve online. Now I am not certain of this, but from what I read thats what I gathered it to be. I do hope there is no class system or restrictions, so one player could eventually learn everything. I want to say this was confirmed in some dev post, but I was reading so much at the time I dont even know where to go back and confirm that. 

I had an idea that when players started the could choose some start of class that they will be engaging in the most. With that you would get a bonus to learning skills under that class. It could be low (a few percent) if it were a permanent boost or something larger (maybe 25-50%) if it was a temporary boost, maybe 1 week or until xxx skillpoints). This could fit in with the lore, you were a diplomat before leaving earth so rerouting your neurons to learn those skills becomes easier. Or the same goes for whatever classes they put in. This would help players get into the game and do more very early on, boot strapping the game when it launches and helping new players catch up a bit later on down the line.

An alternative would be you just gain so many skillpoints in skills associated with that class right away. So instead of waiting a day to train you would already know mining, or ore prospecting. 

As far as level requirements, I believe it was stated that as far as things like mining, you can do it at once. But as you learn skills you become better at it. And the same applies all around. Although I would assume it would take some knowledge to be able to manufacture a warp drive over what you know immediately. 

If you have not I would recommend reading the dev blogs.