Social Aspects

PetdCat

So, there has been a great deal of discussion concerning building and mechanics.   What I am wondering is if Dual is planning on have any robust social mechanics in the game.   Emotes, movement, chat, etc....   Where I am not a big RP kinda person, I know that there is a large RP community out there that has found many games wanting for their RP needs, but they make due with what they have available.

I do not know if there are any RP people already involved here, but it seems to me that Dual could be an RP community paradise.   Yes, there are times that RPers can take themselves a little seriously in games, but they do add a certain depth and flavor to a world that you do not get from just fighters, crafters, etc....  

Is Dual planning on focusing on the social aspects of the game as well, or will the focus mainly be on combat and building?

1: I love seeing familiar names over here!!

2: My hope would be that the "RP" just happens naturally as an emergent aspect of the gameplay. But that depends on the "politics". How will we affect the worlds we explore??

3: I think I'll need to post about this more in depth elsewhere, but... I think instead of "Builder" vs "PvP" as the binary gameplay, it really should be "Explorer" vs "Conquest".

Instead of conquering worlds, I would want to be gathering info and protecting the wildlife/natural habitats of the worlds I discover.

We can build ships, but what kinds of instruments can we deploy? Can we deploy instruments that will allow us to track the wildlife we discover? Can we terraform an asteroid to accept wildlife? I see monitors that seem to be providing data we can monitor, but is that just cosmetic or can those screens actually monitor health and atmosphere and climate and gravity?

If we are able to monitor and process and change those kinds of parameters - roles will naturally emerge.

4: I'm hoping we have templates and components to help us build the ships we see. Rather than trying to voxel them from simple shapes.

So, there has been a great deal of discussion concerning building and mechanics.   What I am wondering is if Dual is planning on have any robust social mechanics in the game.   Emotes, movement, chat, etc....   Where I am not a big RP kinda person, I know that there is a large RP community out there that has found many games wanting for their RP needs, but they make due with what they have available.

I do not know if there are any RP people already involved here, but it seems to me that Dual could be an RP community paradise.   Yes, there are times that RPers can take themselves a little seriously in games, but they do add a certain depth and flavor to a world that you do not get from just fighters, crafters, etc....  

Is Dual planning on focusing on the social aspects of the game as well, or will the focus mainly be on combat and building?

If you look carefully at some of the recent tweeted images you will notice that some of the characters are using emote/ movement such as kneeling and face palming. I believe that NQ is planning on having some proper social interacting in DU because how else would you converse with people correctly when almost 100% of the politics and interacts are player designed/ created.

You can't have that much reliant on the players without giving them the proper tools to do it with. However there have been confirmed emotes and the like by twitter :)

If you look carefully at some of the recent tweeted images you will notice that some of the characters are using emote/ movement such as kneeling and face palming. I believe that NQ is planning on having some proper social interacting in DU because how else would you converse with people correctly when almost 100% of the politics and interacts are player designed/ created.

You can't have that much reliant on the players without giving them the proper tools to do it with. However there have been confirmed emotes and the like by twitter :)

you are right.   I am just really bringing it up now to start the conversation from the beginning.  People do not realize it but there is a whole sub-genre in games of the RP communities.   I have known people in The Secret World that haven't left London in years because they are just meeting friends, dancing, taking, whatever.  They use it like a virtual world social media.   I do not know if Dual is even interested in providing things that would foster that kind of community, but it is something that I believe is worth discussion.   It appears to me to be a segment of the gaming community that never receives any attention, but always seems to be prevalent.