Solar panels.

SzaryWilk

We know that energy is a very important factor in space. Without it will not be able to operate our ships, space stations, buildings. We need to produce energy.

I think it would be nice if it was possible to build large solar panels.

1) We use solar panels to collect energy.

2) We can build them in space, on planets and moons.

3) They are built with "solar panels" modules, so they can be different sizes.

4) Size affects on the amount of energy we can collects on hour.

5) To operate the solar panels require:

- "module" that will convert energy to a form that can be used,

- "module" (cell) that will be storage for energy,

It would be great to see in space large space stations or base on the ground with large solar panels.

We know that energy is a very important factor in space. Without it will not be able to operate our ships, space stations, buildings. We need to produce energy.

It would be great to see in space large space stations or base on the ground with large solar panels.

I'm just sitting here thinking of different materials now.

Solar Absorbent material. So instead of it being a 'element' that you put down for the solar panels, you actually create your own from materials in your 'nanobelt' in a shape that you want.. And if it follows all the other rules of construction with voxel then you can create and save your own solar modules :).

I do think that there should be some form of battery that can transfer in and out power, just like some materials in your belt. So you can dock with a spacestation and 'recharge' your ship.

• 2 months later...

I'm just sitting here thinking of different materials now.

So you can dock with a spacestation and 'recharge' your ship.

So you want a Prius ship?  :D 

This would allow power to become it's own industry. Companies could buy and sell power for buildings and ships adding to the diversity of the economy. 

And may start more oil wars...

I really like this idea, it could be used as a "backup" fuel source on smaller ships if the pilot accidentally decides to fuel up before leaving on a journey.

Also, if drones are implemented into the game, with a small enough power consumption, they could be self fueled by these solar panels.

Solar panels make sense, when you introduce things like satellites. It's either solar panels, or wireless energy, although solar panels are cooler :P

well microwaves being used to transmit power from orbital arrays to the ground would be cool as well. just don't move into the beams way :D

I hope they have solar panels, I don't know why they wouldn't. Something all Sci-Fi games need wether its a prop or a placable construct. If there happens to be no solar panels how will I build my Dyson's Ring?

well microwaves being used to transmit power from orbital arrays to the ground would be cool as well. just don't move into the beams way :D

That would be hilarious to see. "Hey! New Guy, go below that dish" *ZAP* "Well, we need a new New Guy"

Solar panels are fine as long they're balanced. Solar panels usually produces infinite energy, and "infinite" is always bad for economy. The need of fuel instead, incentives you to not waste energy and create jobs for miners, traders and so on. So as much I'd like them, isn't that easy to add them. 

Suppose that ingame there's a solar panel that you can place on space stations. Now suppose that the average lifecycle of a solar panel is 6 months (stations getting detroyed, abandoned or similar). Now suppose that to provide all the energy a solar panel provides in 6 months, you need X amount of fuel, that translate to a Y amount of credits you spend to buy it. Pretty much, a solar panel in 6 months produced Y amount of money for you ( that you didn't spend on fuel), and as you may know, usually solar panels in games (like space engineers) are balanced by making them quite expensive. That is the reason, Y amount of money needs to be included in the initial price to build them (usually less, because it's an investement). 

Why am I telling you this? Because is not enough. It may be true that on average a solar panel has a lifecycle of 6 months, but what about the biggest player made stations in game? What about a large corporation that is so strong that will never lose his station, and consequently theirs solar panels? Y becomes infinite, and infinite, again, is bad for the game and the economy. 

If they're ever going to add them, they need to think properly on how to solve these problems.