Axes of Symmetry

AlexWright

Alright, so this was asked as a question over in this thread, but I haven't been able to find any discussion on it as a whole. There's several ways to go about this, but if my time in Space Engineers has taught me anything (Granted, it was all of about 2 hours, the game lacked...much), it's that designing and building with the ability to build along axes of symmetry is a huge improvement on having to do it all by hand. I would love to see DU add in a feature that would allow us to turn on various axes of symmetry while designing ships, either in virtual space or in the living game world. Because I enjoy aesthetically pleasing ships, it would be much easier to build these using planes of symmetry than it would be to have to do every last step by hand.

Yes, it lowers the time constraints on very large projects down a few notches. However, it doesn't stop the amount of resources required (another time constraint), nor the time for production (if it depends on the size of the object being built). If ship designers had to construct everything by hand, perfect symmetry in the game would be an impossibility. It would also ruin almost any chance at aesthetically pleasing (and yet still extremely functional) designs.

Just my two cents on what will (hopefully) be a feature.

Alright, so this was asked as a question over in this thread, but I haven't been able to find any discussion on it as a whole. There's several ways to go about this, but if my time in Space Engineers has taught me anything (Granted, it was all of about 2 hours, the game lacked...much), it's that designing and building with the ability to build along axes of symmetry is a huge improvement on having to do it all by hand. I would love to see DU add in a feature that would allow us to turn on various axes of symmetry while designing ships, either in virtual space or in the living game world. Because I enjoy aesthetically pleasing ships, it would be much easier to build these using planes of symmetry than it would be to have to do every last step by hand.

Yes, it lowers the time constraints on very large projects down a few notches. However, it doesn't stop the amount of resources required (another time constraint), nor the time for production (if it depends on the size of the object being built). If ship designers had to construct everything by hand, perfect symmetry in the game would be an impossibility. It would also ruin almost any chance at aesthetically pleasing (and yet still extremely functional) designs.

Just my two cents on what will (hopefully) be a feature.

I am with you, I really do hope that they add in symmetry planes for building. As well as multi block placement, at least for the virtual world. This is one thing Starmade did right, their advanced build feature. 

There is a 'virtual world' so i don't see why it would be against any 'lore' or 'immersion' to incorporate any of the ideas you've said, that being the symmetry. The other things that's been mentioned about mutli-select ect are already confirmed by Nyz in another post or maybe Devblog.

I asked if you could have 'snaping' constructs that you've built, and have them be able to be added onto the construct your building now, and he said there will be a copy/paste function along with a area select.

So the majority of it there is already confirmed, I'll just have to see if i can find that post to see if it had anything to speak of on symmetry :)

Hi Alexwright,

If I understood well what you meant, this is something that some devs are already discussing:

Having the ability to "mirror" a pattern (a saved voxel shape) is something that is definitely worth considering :)

Best regards,

Nyzaltar.

Thank you for the quick reply! Yes indeed having the ability to mirror shapes while designing (vehicles, ships, and especially superstructures) is something that would be amazingly helpful.

I think that the ability to "mirror" a selected group of voxels would help tremendously in not only being able to build, but also improve the aesthetics of the build.  Unless you are truly looking for an asymmetrical look  (which is a definite sci-fi style, especially for alienistic constructs), the majority of sci-fi styles are symmetrical along any number of axis's.  The ability to create "half" of an object, mirror it, and then apply it to the original to create a whole not only saves time, but also ensures symmetry.   If you have every attempted to make two sides of a creation look exactly alike with many voxel tools, it adds a new definition to patience.

Basically the ability I would look for is to be able to select a group of voxels and copy and paste them creating a new group that is the same as the original.  Then select a key combination that takes that select group and mirrors it.  I can then move that mirrored group and attach it to the original, or copy/paste it to the original to create a symmetrical whole.  I would also have the ability to create templates of each side for future use.  The ability to manipulate groups of voxels is very important to builders.  If I have my wish, the ability to not only mirror--but extrude a group, or compress a group would also be a great help.  I just do not know if that is even a consideration of the voxel engine being used.

Actually, the way Space Engineers does this is quite novel. You can set any number of symmetric axes on a construct. When you add a block on one side of that construct, it adds a block on all symmetrical planes in that same position. This ensures that symmetry is guaranteed from the build without needingredients to copy and paste and then mirror. I liked that feature, anyway.

Actually, the way Space Engineers does this is quite novel. You can set any number of symmetric axes on a construct. When you add a block on one side of that construct, it adds a block on all symmetrical planes in that same position. This ensures that symmetry is guaranteed from the build without needingredients to copy and paste and then mirror. I liked that feature, anyway.

I will need to check that out.  I have not tried Space Engineers.   Most of my time has been building for people in Second Life, the Utherverse worlds, and Landmark.  Well, that and DJing in virtual worlds for parties and such.  I will have to see what it is like.

I will need to check that out.  I have not tried Space Engineers.   Most of my time has been building for people in Second Life, the Utherverse worlds, and Landmark.  Well, that and DJing in virtual worlds for parties and such.  I will have to see what it is like.

Oh wow.. if you have not tried space engineers and you like what DU is becoming. I would highly suggest that you go out, get it, and play it while you wait.

Big learning curve for a new person now but once you get around that you'll be absolutely fine doing anything :D

Oh wow.. if you have not tried space engineers and you like what DU is becoming. I would highly suggest that you go out, get it, and play it while you wait.

Big learning curve for a new person now but once you get around that you'll be absolutely fine doing anything :D

You have now surpassed my post count within a span of two weeks by over 100 posts...almost as many as Nyzaltar by now. Getting jaded are we? :D

You have now surpassed my post count within a span of two weeks by over 100 posts...almost as many as Nyzaltar by now. Getting jaded are we? :D

Took you a while to notice that Astro.. See this is why you shouldn't take breaks from the forums, bad things happen when you are not here ;)

Not that I'm trying to be at the top, I'm just posting, but as you said... There is only 1 person left........... :)

hi there! :D

i think many ,,survival games,, have problems with the set of axis. if it possible i hope that DU makes x,y,z axis be avaible for use in the same time.

the problem is, that, if you build in the Z axis and take only 1 axis (ZY or ZX) it limitized the players on the creative ship construction.

the side behind the mirror must be 1:1 rebuild without a help and if them build a very nice area on engines btw, the chance is maximum on 30%

that they get the same area in 1:1 without helpfully axis and mirrors.

On space engineers, you have all axis present separately but space engineers, is a game only on technic based things. see it on empyrion. a complete

survival game with better abilities hows SE but only 2 axis are aviaible on the same time.

for creative builders is it a big problem, if you try to build larger capital vessels and it must be symmetrial 1:1 on the Z,X and Y axis.

hopefully all axis will be aviaible for design the ships :) but is a small theme. the huger themes will be the design of the ships themself so how weapons, electronics, abilities ect.. and eventually importing of 3d models into the game from other games (hows FS2 or so..) what some users (me included) question in moment.