HTC - Vive, Compatibility

norab7

I have a HTC - Vive and wondering if there is any compatibility, or any planned, or anything at all to do with it, or even if it's been thought about.

There has been something somewhere about Oculus compatibility and that it was tested and seemed to work. At least in testing (I think) maybe I'm making this up, but I hope not.

I'm surprised I haven't asked this yet, but yeah, is there anything?.

I'm not doing very well with my sentences tonight, feel a bit sluggish and 'ungramatical' :(

I have been waiting to see which one would offer the best features, visuals and options. So far they are pretty close but after seeing numerous reviews I have to say Vive is most appealing. Also it has an edge for those who wear glasses as well so I'm definitely leaning towards it. Also I believe Steam is focusing on Vive, but I could be wrong there....but I do hope DU features Vive.

after research i have come to the simple conclusion that the rift is the best choice because it has a headphone built in.

all its missing is a mic and maybe gloves that correspond to the motion sensor.

I have been waiting to see which one would offer the best features, visuals and options. So far they are pretty close but after seeing numerous reviews I have to say Vive is most appealing. Also it has an edge for those who wear glasses as well so I'm definitely leaning towards it. Also I believe Steam is focusing on Vive, but I could be wrong there....but I do hope DU features Vive.

I'm not going to give you a reasons upon reasons why which ever one is better because that's your choice to make, but I will tell you why I bought the Vive though, and it was because I wanted it to track the room so I could walk around and not just sit still, I wanted to use my hands and not a controller, and because it is backed by Valve. Also, when the 'touch' comes out for the oculus and added onto the price of the current headset, they will be more or less the same price, but one of them will not be as good at tracking.

Anyway, yeah, I hope there is something, but if there is not it is no loss to me as i'm still going to play DU a lot regardless :)

after research i have come to the simple conclusion that the rift is the best choice because it has a headphone built in.

Is that a serious comment ?.. It's just I have a hard time believing the oculus is better simply because of 'headphones', or that you would think that, Headphones can be bought anywhere to work with it or the vive. there must be other reasons to your thoughts of the oculus being the better device?... 

EDIT: I'm don't want to start a war here, but I am interested in your opinion, so please give a little thought to a proper response

yeah i guess i was fanboying and rooting for the oculus. i didnt properly inform myself about the vive. can you give me details of the vive?

I would check out all the Youtube reviews, and there are a ton of them, because you can make your own judgement whether they are being objective or not. 

I would check out all the Youtube reviews, and there are a ton of them, because you can make your own judgement whether they are being objective or not.

This ^...

I have a invested interest in the vive now so I wouldn't be a unbiased opinion, I can tell you thing with biased if you want, but wouldn't be fair. I have used both, so it's an informed biased of course :)

so i just read, the vive needs to have 2 sensor thingies installed on your walls?

big turnoff.

Not particularly. The Rift itself too needs a separate motion sensor on a stand on a desk. You won't be able to see either the wall sensors nor the Rift's motion sensor while using the headset, so I don't particularly see the problem here.

The biggest distinguishing point here is the price, seeing as the Vive is a good $200 more than the Rift.

@Astro - only till the oculus touch is out. How much do you think that will increase the price by so that it can have matching controllers to the vive?.. I'd say it will have equal price then, so no arguments there.

@Slaxx - do what I did and get two camera tripods for like £5 each and hold them up that way.

Also to point out, the oculus as far as I'm aware is stationary tracking, meaning if you move out your spot it stops tracking you, the vive has a tracking area of 5m**2, with controllers and front camera and bunch of other things...

• 2 weeks later...

Your research wasn't very substantial.  Basing your decision on a pair of slightly above average earphones is kind of silly.  I was an Oculus user for a year and it was a lot of fun but in no way compares to the Vive experience.  Vive doesn't come with headphones... it comes with a headphone jack socket so you can easily plug in any headphones.  I prefer to use a separate cable because I have Sennheiser Game One with the mic.

so i just read, the vive needs to have 2 sensor thingies installed on your walls?

big turnoff.

No.  Vive comes with tripod mounts and wall mounts.  If you don't want to use the included wall mounts then you can screw the lighthouses on to standard tripod mounts or even just sit them on a very firm surface.  They must not be moved or knocked when powered.  Vive tracking is superior.  Those lasers see everything.

In the Q/A section of the website it was asked about Rift compatibility. And while they said this is on the distant roadmap, it probably wont be in the Earliest of Alpha's for sure. But as for which platform I would prefer to have the VR on, that would be the Vive. (By the way I don't own a VR headset yet, waiting for GTX 1080 Ti for that)

-You get way better tracking through the laser cameras around the room watching you.  

-Your able to walk around the room very easily

-2 Hand remotes vs a XBone controller. Imagine being able to use arm movements to create voxel elements (/Drooling)

-Vision pass through of the headset is nice to keep you from constantly taking off the headset to see things.

-Software support is WAYYYYY further along than the Rift. The Rift effectively has all 3rd party programs trying to duplicate what the Vive does out of the box.

But now for more reasons I'd love VR in this game. 

Being able to virtually grab the throttle control and joystick in-game instead of using a proxy joystick IRL, pull your ejection handle in emergencies, hold your welder / grinder physically in front of you while looking in different direction (weld and recon). Being that its a voxel based game, being able to create objects 3 dimensionally in the air infront of you is akin to the Iron Man films where Tony Stark creates his suits via hologram before making one for real. To me its like using a paint brush on canvas. Using your whole body instead of limiting yourself to just the accuracy of a mouse click. 

This Could be Awesome!

big turnoff.

The IR camera sensors on the walls allow the Vive to motion track your movement within a space. I other words you can walk around inside a game. The Rift can't do that, it only tracks head movement which still requires a IR camera sitting on your desk.

This space game looks great but I'm only interested in buying if it does in fact support VR.  I have Elite Dangerous and that's an amazing experience with the Vive.

Star Citizen will also have VR this year or next year.

DU is unlike ED or SC, both of which I have supported since their beginnings. DU is entirely voxel-based. The possibilities are virtually infinite...

In the Q/A section of the website it was asked about Rift compatibility. And while they said this is on the distant roadmap, it probably wont be in the Earliest of Alpha's for sure. But as for which platform I would prefer to have the VR on, that would be the Vive. (By the way I don't own a VR headset yet, waiting for GTX 1080 Ti for that)

-You get way better tracking through the laser cameras around the room watching you.  

-Your able to walk around the room very easily

-2 Hand remotes vs a XBone controller. Imagine being able to use arm movements to create voxel elements (/Drooling)

-Vision pass through of the headset is nice to keep you from constantly taking off the headset to see things.

-Software support is WAYYYYY further along than the Rift. The Rift effectively has all 3rd party programs trying to duplicate what the Vive does out of the box.

But now for more reasons I'd love VR in this game. 

Being able to virtually grab the throttle control and joystick in-game instead of using a proxy joystick IRL, pull your ejection handle in emergencies, hold your welder / grinder physically in front of you while looking in different direction (weld and recon). * Being that its a voxel based game, being able to create objects 3 dimensionally in the air infront of you is akin to the Iron Man films where Tony Stark creates his suits via hologram before making one for real. To me its like using a paint brush on canvas. Using your whole body instead of limiting yourself to just the accuracy of a mouse click. 

This Could be Awesome!

*This is exactly why I would love for this game to support VR, specifically the Vive for the ability to physically move around your creations. Creating anything would be more intuitive and immersive.

If it eventually supports VR I'll probably get the Vive just for this game.  I own an Oculus Rift and they lost alot goodwill with me with their exclusive titles nonsense along with the DRM they tried and then later removed.  It may not have affected me but it's a bad business practice.

• 1 year later...

I ended up choosing to get the HTC vive myself but what I do know is that the game has to be built around VR if you plan on implementing VR into it. VR immersion has a completely different feel to it. This is why you simply can not just add VR to any MMO. the camera system has to interact a certain way so it can track head movement and let you look around and "feel the game world". That is probably the best way I can put it. 

There are programs you can use to play games using VR headsets but it is like being in a VR space and watching a screen. The game you watching would only seem to be 3D if it is tricked into supporting stereographic mode. which is what the old VR was. I have that as well. I've managed to pull it off once with FFXIV but I don't know what I did and can't do it again.

the only downfall of the vive is that the controllers can't be key mapped 

as far as VR systems themselves. they need to figure out a movement system for your avatar, which is likely using direction keys on the controller to move around. I personally don't like the idea of teleporting around.

1 hour ago, Firesped said:

the only downfall of the vive is that the controllers can't be key mapped 

as far as VR systems themselves. they need to figure out a movement system for your avatar, which is likely using direction keys on the controller to move around. I personally don't like the idea of teleporting around.

^^ hardly the only downfall, and it's not just one brand or the other, the tech isn't even close to being practical yet.

Rant inbound:

Debbie Downer says...

I'm excited for VR, but the technology still has a very long way to go before it actually gets even remotely good. Someone mentioned being able to virtually grab a virtual throttle control and virtual joystick, instead of actually grabbing a physical throttle control and joystick. Huh? VR can't provide physical feedback yet can it? I'd much rather have a physical flight stick in my hands, than nothing at all. Console makers have tried basic VR over and over again with their sports games. Pulling the virtual string of a bow was kinda silly. Aiming with a virtual bow... sucked. There was a boxing game where you punched the air, or your buddy, and it mysteriously translated into punching something on the screen. Bowling was kinda fun, but only because it was a novelty at the time. I had lots of laughs with those games but only because people would hit their heads on ceiling fans while spiking a volleyball, or trip over couches, knock over lamps, kick the dog... all manner of hysterical happenings, none of which improved the game interface, not even a little bit.

And accuracy... I don't know of anything that is more accurate than a mouse click... it's better than 1 pixel perfect. The console generation has been brainwashed into thinking that game pads are good. Game pads are good for lounging on the couch, eating Cheetos, and casually playing Madden 9000 or any other game that you don't have to aim at anything. The auto-aiming assist of console games makes players "think" they're actually aiming, but the reality is, aiming accuracy with a game pad is atrocious. There are even game controllers shaped like assault rifles so as to improve accuracy and provide a true VR experience. Yeah, no, that turned out to be utter nonsense too. Pointing your assault rifle at a tv was deemed gimmicky with Duck Hunt. Which brings me back to VR.

Visually speaking, it can be pretty amazing, but that isn't really VR, it's just low res 3D. Other than that though, where is the draw? Where are the practical advantages for gaming? I have to use my whole head to look around, and pray the tracking works? I get to flail my arms around hoping to trigger a simple interaction with an in game object? I have to march in place to actually move? Most VR sets that I see now come with hand held "sensors". Shocking. Right back to the game pad.

TL;DR: Light years from now, when it's finally done right, the immersion factor of VR will be incredible. Right now though, it's just a really overpriced 3D headset and a couple of game pads.