Beware of the afk cloaker

Zen001

I'd be interested in how NQ implements sensors.  If it's just a coordinate system, then there's not much to cloaking. 

But think about ship emissions.

Visible light

EM signature

Heat signature

Cross section (radar signature)

I honestly doubt all of these features will be implemented, but it would be cool to be forced to cut all of these signatures in order to smuggle something past someone.

@ripper.

Maybe not implemented individually, but it could be a combined measurement. Something like Eve , the mass and size of the ship, weapon systems, thrusters and boosters all effect signature radius but combine to one number.

It would be great to see all of these things affecting detection and tracking. A cloak could then simply be a device to reduce these emissions overall. And larger and more scanners could work together to detect smaller signature radius.

It would give some skill to cloaking along with careful ship design

Saffi brought up an interesting idea in another thread regarding mass.

We know the physics model won't be completely newtonian.  If they associate a " ship tonnage" value to the core unit, which would consist of the mass of all the elements attached to the core.  This value could be represented by a sized blip.

If you add in emissions as "modifiers" as well as distance from target, you could change the size of the blip.

("blip radius" = tonnage * "EM sig" - distance)

What about scanners that just scanned for proximity ?

Scanner checks in a sphere around itself for any objects and represents them as either known or unknown objects and the distance they are away from you, if you know the ship then you can add a 'nickname' to the signal it gives off, but if you don't you would know that there is someone there cloaked if the scanner goes off and you can't see anything.

(I hope there will be some kinda of give away to cloaked people, like a visual ripple in the sky to give them away, but not to much to cause issue to stealth, just seems unfair if you can't detect them unless you have the equipment.. maybe)

But since the scanners only detect Object ID and the distance from the scanner you could require 3 scanners to triangulate the signal location and thus the location of the cloaked ship. This could be a standard set of lua that the devs create to give people a nice footing for creating detector systems?..

Just another way out of many that the cloaks could be detected and found, still, will with a game such as what DU will be you could have any amount of different possibilities for this.

nora,

What about scanners that just scanned for proximity ?

Scanner checks in a sphere around itself for any objects and represents them as either known or unknown objects and the distance they are away from you, if you know the ship then you can add a 'nickname' to the signal it gives off, but if you don't you would know that there is someone there cloaked if the scanner goes off and you can't see anything.

(I hope there will be some kinda of give away to cloaked people, like a visual ripple in the sky to give them away, but not to much to cause issue to stealth, just seems unfair if you can't detect them unless you have the equipment.. maybe)

But since the scanners only detect Object ID and the distance from the scanner you could require 3 scanners to triangulate the signal location and thus the location of the cloaked ship. This could be a standard set of lua that the devs create to give people a nice footing for creating detector systems?..

Just another way out of many that the cloaks could be detected and found, still, will with a game such as what DU will be you could have any amount of different possibilities for this.

nora,

The thing is, if the sig radius is low eneough, why would you be able to detect anything. Thats why signature strength and scan strength would make a better system. 

Furthermore, with a fixed radar system, you can get a fairly accurate location of an object that is near eneough to you with just one unit. It is how our current radar systems work. You send out a pulse in a given direction and wait for a response. The angle you send it out gives the vector from your location, the response time gives distance. By doing this over and over all around you, you build a 3d map of objects. 

Utilizing 4 (not 3 since we have 3D space. Although I believe in some scenarios 3 can pinpoint an object) allows you to pinpoint an object that is radiating an omni directional signal. One gives you nothing, except distance if you know the original signal strength, which you likely dont. 2 gives you a circle, you can determine a ratio between the signal strengths for distance from either scanner, but this produces a circle where they intercept. A 3rd probe would narrow it down further to 2 points on that circle, but i believe some scenarios could lead to an exact location. And a 4th would determine exactly which of these it is. And the spread of the sensors increases the resolution as well. I could be a bit off or completely wrong on this, it has been years since I slept through signals and systems, and a while since I've scanned in eve. 

Isn't that just what I posted, but with an additional scanner and a extra feature of strength?.

Strength could be a representation of ship size, but I don't know is feasabiltiy, because if there is any signal at all you know its something player made as we don't know about orbiting of moving asteroids ect.

If ships size is show (signal strength) which could be a combination of size and systems emitions like heat trails ect, then you could fake a signal by using a decoy. You could perhaps have the power in the canners to only register signals over a certain value, if you have a large signal is hides smaller signals.

Something like that, on phone so, yeah. Can't see everything properly.

Nora,