Wipe server after Alpha and Beta ?

SzaryWilk

You do realize that you'll not be able to make that ship for months right?

It's been said that no-one will be able to leave Alioth within the first few months, even with basic starter ships, so you won't be able to make that straight away anyway, and by the time you do make it other people would have made something similar/better.

Also, I disagree 100% with anyone keeping something like that to themselves (that has been designed in the beta) because something like that is a 'big' advantage over other people who are starting on start day and don't have any blueprints. If it's on the NPC market for a fair price then keep it all you want, other people would have it also they just wouldn't be able to edit it (as it would be a copy BP not original), but you wouldn't be able to sell it.

I don't want to come into the game the first week and see ships like that on the market place that have been built in the beta so that beta people can get a advantage over the new starters.

Also, it's beta, why would you build something like that in beta? Beta is supposed to be for testing the game (and playing a little) to make sure that it's working correctly for launch, it is not a place to build/construct things that you want to use in the released game.

{After Re-reading my post}

In fact I've turned myself off the idea of players keeping anything from the alpha/beta unless it's transferred to only exists as a purchasable item/BP from a NPC vendor.

Reason for this is self-sabotage. You could create the greatest ship possible, with all the bells and whistle, then remove all the major elements that make it great. It's then uploaded to the NPC shop as the sabotage version that people can buy but cannot edit.

While you have the master BP and just add back on the elements required to make it great again, giving you a massive advantage over other people because you still have you great BP given that you can remember where all the elements go.

Giving the creations to the NPC vendor ONLY so that even the creator has to buy a Copy-BP, that is not editable, is the only fair way I can think about transferring over anything created in alpha/beta.

Someone somewhere till find a way to glitch/cheat through the alpha/beta transfer and give themselves an advantage in the start of the game. I want a fresh game where the only thing people have from the alpha/beta is there knowledge and that's it, anything else would give a unfair advantage.

Think about if you could transfer simple buildings/ machines that didn't do anything other than help you start the game off better. Like a very basic mining machine that allows you to get rare resources from day one?... Not Fair.

If you want something you built in alpha/beta that you can edit/sell..... Build it again.

nora,

Where you say months, I say weeks. My group and I excel at rapidly advancing in games like this. In all sandbox games we play we are accomplishing massive feats that take most months to complete, if they can at all, in weeks and sometimes days. In MC FTB there was a server admin who worked with the mod developers to write the code and optimize features and functions. A project that took him 6 months to complete, we had one 4 times the size within a month. Something he thought I was joking about when I told him week one that we would do it. We are really good at focusing on goals to rapidly advance. For those who play eve, how many payers have built their own motherships from harvesting the resources, freighting them, and constructing it yourself. We had a 6 man corp that ran the logistics for an entire alliance, we achieve goals that are ambitious for a large group as a small group often. 

And I see that the Devs often stress that some projects will be long term and take large groups to complete, I do expect some challenges. But I intend (and see it as a challenge) to advance faster than they intend. Skill training times and implementation delays aside I plan on being on the front end of things being done in the game. 

As far as the ship being built in the first week, I dont expect it to be. I do intend it to take a lot longer to construct. Therefore having the BP carried over from Beta wouldn't really give me an advantage. But I would like to begin the design as soon as I can. In fact it would likely be a shell for a long time until I am ready to constuct that way I would be using the latest and greatest modules available. 

And you are correct that the alpha and beta are for bug and feature testing. And the smaller ships I would start with would test that. But you are forgetting that the virtual creator system is part of the game and must be tested. It would help me learn the build system, figuring out what works and doesnt. 

And it is funny you mentioned glitching/cheating through the beta to release. A coworker and I were discussing things you could do to your ships that would give you an advantage. Not just in beta, even after release. I wont say what we are thinking, and until we know more about the mechanics it may not be possible. But if it works we would want any and everyone using our ships.