Wipe server after Alpha and Beta ?

SzaryWilk

I know that we still have a lot of time to Alpha phase and Beta, but I think that is a very important issue.

After Alpha and Beta will be wipe of server ?

What do you think about this ? What are the plans of DEVs ?

I think that after each stage, Alpha and Beta, should be server wipe. So as to start our game with a clean account.

Clean slate for me.

Completely against the lore if we all start the game on launch day if there are buildings around that players have made, or if players are already flying about in space ships..

I'm going to put all of my eggs in the 'wipe for game launch' basket.

It's normally the best to reset the status of a game after a testing-phase, since there could have been major bugs / unbalanced gameplay where various players had the chance the get an unfair advantage over other (new) players.

From the standpoint of a builder, it would not make any difference to me.  My expectation is that we would have the ability to save our "templates" for things we have built (probably modular pieces would be best).  If that is the case, after a wipe you would just need the correct materials in order to build since you would already have the blueprints to what you would make.

For non-builders looking for every advantage to carving out their own personal Empire, probably not so much  :)  But you know, if you are in on Alpha or Beta, you should expect wipes (either planned for or not).  It is the nature of the beast.

From the standpoint of a builder, it would not make any difference to me.  My expectation is that we would have the ability to save our "templates" for things we have built (probably modular pieces would be best).  If that is the case, after a wipe you would just need the correct materials in order to build since you would already have the blueprints to what you would make.

For non-builders looking for every advantage to carving out their own personal Empire, probably not so much   :)  But you know, if you are in on Alpha or Beta, you should expect wipes (either planned for or not).  It is the nature of the beast.

This is the point that I don't like the most, Having pre-designed blueprints that others may not have because they were not in the beta/alpha.

I still vote Clean Slate after testing, All Blueprints, All planets.. everything, gone.. Cleaned.

This is the point that I don't like the most, Having pre-designed blueprints that others may not have because they were not in the beta/alpha.

I still vote Clean Slate after testing, All Blueprints, All planets.. everything, gone.. Cleaned.

Not really an issue really for me.  If I have built it once, and I know how to build it, you are just adding my having to make it again which delays me by, what? an hour?  The ability to save templates just allows me to save the time of having to remake something that I already know how to make.  I already have the knowledge and skill to remake it, so what does that really solve except delaying someone for a couple of hours.  Obviously if someone is not in Alpha/Beta they are going to have to learn the skillsets in order to be productive.  

You cannot remove the knowledge of how to do something.  So in the end, all you are doing is providing a slight hurdle for someone to overcome before they build something that a non-Alpha/Beta tester will be able to.  It is just a arbitrary bit to slow someone down, not level the playing field.  Even with that being the case, I enjoy building--so building it again, and then saving it to make copies, would not be a big issue for me.

Not really an issue really for me.  If I have built it once, and I know how to build it, you are just adding my having to make it again which delays me by, what? an hour?  The ability to save templates just allows me to save the time of having to remake something that I already know how to make.  I already have the knowledge and skill to remake it, so what does that really solve except delaying someone for a couple of hours.  Obviously if someone is not in Alpha/Beta they are going to have to learn the skillsets in order to be productive.  

You cannot remove the knowledge of how to do something.  So in the end, all you are doing is providing a slight hurdle for someone to overcome before they build something that a non-Alpha/Beta tester will be able to.  It is just a arbitrary bit to slow someone down, not level the playing field.  Even with that being the case, I enjoy building--so building it again, and then saving it to make copies, would not be a big issue for me.

Alpha/Beta players will always have a small advantage at the beginning of the game, it's inevitable. But i'd like it to be clean slate, so that any advantages gained are purely through what they know of the game, not what they've done.

Alpha/Beta players will always have a small advantage at the beginning of the game, it's inevitable. But i'd like it to be clean slate, so that any advantages gained are purely through what they know of the game, not what they've done.

That's my opinion too: developing, testing, discussing, reading guides will always gives you power (knowledge is power :) ), but this advantage should stay in people mind where everyone can catch up and I don't want to see buildings or other things when server starts, especially in a sandbox. Game should be new and clean.

Blueprints are a bit in the middle: you can recreate them fast anyway and you are nearly the only one affected (except maybe because you can sell it, but this is just worrying for the first few days). So I don't really mind about them.

So far, we know that alpha testers will have a different environnement from launch: different starter pack, skills / technologies already unlocked, and so on...

Also, taking developments, bugs, etc., I'm pretty sure there will be wiped (probably several times) during alpha and beta.

Regards,

Shadow

That's my opinion too: developing, testing, discussing, reading guides will always gives you power (knowledge is power :) ), but this advantage should stay in people mind where everyone can catch up and I don't want to see buildings or other things when server starts, especially in a sandbox. Game should be new and clean.

Blueprints are a bit in the middle: you can recreate them fast anyway and you are nearly the only one affected (except maybe because you can sell it, but this is just worrying for the first few days). So I don't really mind about them.

So far, we know that alpha testers will have a different environnement from launch: different starter pack, skills / technologies already unlocked, and so on...

Also, taking developments, bugs, etc., I'm pretty sure there will be wiped (probably several times) during alpha and beta.

Regards,

Shadow

I never thought about the selling of blueprints and the like. Now i'm completely 100% against this in all aspects. That would give the testers that had the chance to participate and create blueprints a large advantage in the first months.

Think about the people who make incredible things during the testing that took a few days to a week to design, and they can sell that almost day one.. 

Do not like..

Hi everyone!

At the moment, the idea is to have server wipes in Alpha and in Beta.

The Blueprints are a delicate topic though.

Having player-made blueprints right from the start can be interesting to bootstrap the in-game economy right from the start.

On the other side, it's true that allowing alpha and beta players to own blueprints right from the start can be considered as an unfair advantage for those who join the adventure at the official launch. 

How can we reward people doing amazing constructs (which represents sometimes hundreds of hours of work) during Alpha and Beta without giving them an unfair advantage at launch? We are considering several ideas that we will discuss soon with the community :)

Best regards,

Nyzaltar.

Hi everyone!

On the other side, it's true that allowing alpha and beta players to own blueprints right from the start can be considered as an unfair advantage for those who join the adventure at the official launch. 

How can we reward people doing amazing constructs (which represents sometimes hundreds of hours of work) during Alpha and Beta without giving them an unfair advantage at launch? We are considering several ideas that we will discuss soon with the community :)

Best regards,

Nyzaltar

Is helping and giving feedback not enough of a reward in and of itself?

Perhaps Novaquark can make some of them the default or basic starter buildings or prefab modules or something, if those are available to all players in the arkship at launch.

Likely, the best time to capture any early elements will be during open beta, and then close the feature two weeks before the launch so you can finalize making them sellable items from the arkship vendors.

Hi everyone!

At the moment, the idea is to have server wipes in Alpha and in Beta.

The Blueprints are a delicate topic though.

Having player-made blueprints right from the start can be interesting to bootstrap the in-game economy right from the start.

Best regards,

Nyzaltar.

Will grovelling be involved?   LOL

I'm an old married man, so I am already use to it!  <grin>

Perhaps Novaquark can make some of them the default or basic starter buildings or prefab modules or something, if those are available to all players in the arkship at launch.

This is one of the ideas we are considering ;)

Will grovelling be involved?   LOL

I'm an old married man, so I am already use to it!  <grin>

Hmmm grovelling for what ?  :huh:

Best regards,

Nyzaltar

Purchasable in-game designs blueprints from the NPC's that are aboard the Arkships on Alioth. That is what you should do with the cool designs that are made during the testing.

Gives the people who made them the chance to use them as they would have, but also opens them up for others to use them also, so there is no advantage given to anyone because everyone has them.

Other rewards could be something like, depending on what it is, a 3D print of your construct. I know you mentioned something about 3D in the merchandise thread, but can't remember if it was 3D printing or not, but that would be cool nonetheless. Create something awesome and get it 3D printed.

This is one of the ideas we are considering ;)

Hmmm grovelling for what ?  :huh:

Best regards,

Nyzaltar

For carried over blueprints.......<insert large pleading kitty eyes from the Puss n Boots movie here>

I completely agree with Saffi post (on all points).

For not loosing hundreds of time of thinking from apha/beta testers, you could also copy their blueprints, but wait a week/month (or more) after the game launch before pasting them back in their inventory.

Bugs and changes will be hard to manage though. So this solution only applies for late beta and I don't think it's worth the effort.

Regards,

Shadow

I would expect anything from alpha to be lost. After all it is just a virtual simulation.

As for beta I could see it going either way. I think all items and skills should be wiped. But I would like to keep blueprints of things I design. And i this all builders would.

Maybe a suction would be anything from closed beta be lost, and open beta blueprints carried over. But that would still wipe a lot of peoples work. Waiting a week to release them would be a solution. Keeps you from making money off the market with them by being the only source.

After all, the things I plan to be working on and designing would be in the virtual realm for now. And ment to be used later on anyway.

I would expect anything from alpha to be lost. After all it is just a virtual simulation.

As for beta I could see it going either way. I think all items and skills should be wiped. But I would like to keep blueprints of things I design. And i this all builders would.

Maybe a suction would be anything from closed beta be lost, and open beta blueprints carried over. But that would still wipe a lot of peoples work. Waiting a week to release them would be a solution. Keeps you from making money off the market with them by being the only source.

After all, the things I plan to be working on and designing would be in the virtual realm for now. And ment to be used later on anyway.

What about if you have a option to keep your 'top 5' (or something) designs to be transferred/saved when the game releases, but these designs become available from a NPC vendor as well.. So you don't have to re-construct them but you don't get the benefit of them on the market place... OR Devs could just make them untradeable/soulbound in your inventory, so if you plan to sell them you can't.

What about if you have a option to keep your 'top 5' (or something) designs to be transferred/saved when the game releases, but these designs become available from a NPC vendor as well.. So you don't have to re-construct them but you don't get the benefit of them on the market place... OR Devs could just make them untradeable/soulbound in your inventory, so if you plan to sell them you can't.

The workaround I see to that is if the blueprint is not tradeable, I would still be able to go over to your property and build using it.  It would be a similar situation as to builders in Second Life or other virtual worlds where people hire builders to actually build on their property.  Where making it untradeable would keep them off  the market, you could still pay the builder to just come over an build it on your property using the blueprint.

The workaround I see to that is if the blueprint is not tradeable, I would still be able to go over to your property and build using it. It would be a similar situation as to builders in Second Life or other virtual worlds where people hire builders to actually build on their property. Where making it untradeable would keep them off the market, you could still pay the builder to just come over an build it on your property using the blueprint.

Or, for that matter, pay the builder to make a one time blue print copy and build it where you like. Could be a neat thing.

I wouldnt mind a top 5 thing, but there is one thing in particular that I will be working on I would not want on the open market, at least not yet. That would be the Daedalus class BC I will be making. It may not even be finished then anyway. Maybe I could make the shell of it and let people use that, but not once its finished. But I would want to have a way to keep them to myself, the one week delay wouldnt be bad. 

I would gladly allow some of my more simple starter designs on the open market. Maybe we can have a check box that would 'allow for NPC markets'

That way anything you think is finished enough that you want to share would be available post beta. But if all BPs were, it would be a load of junk. 

I wouldnt mind a top 5 thing, but there is one thing in particular that I will be working on I would not want on the open market, at least not yet. That would be the Daedalus class BC I will be making. It may not even be finished then anyway. Maybe I could make the shell of it and let people use that, but not once its finished. But I would want to have a way to keep them to myself, the one week delay wouldnt be bad. 

I would gladly allow some of my more simple starter designs on the open market. Maybe we can have a check box that would 'allow for NPC markets'

That way anything you think is finished enough that you want to share would be available post beta. But if all BPs were, it would be a load of junk. 

You do realize that you'll not be able to make that ship for months right?

It's been said that no-one will be able to leave Alioth within the first few months, even with basic starter ships, so you won't be able to make that straight away anyway, and by the time you do make it other people would have made something similar/better.

Also, I disagree 100% with anyone keeping something like that to themselves (that has been designed in the beta) because something like that is a 'big' advantage over other people who are starting on start day and don't have any blueprints. If it's on the NPC market for a fair price then keep it all you want, other people would have it also they just wouldn't be able to edit it (as it would be a copy BP not original), but you wouldn't be able to sell it.

I don't want to come into the game the first week and see ships like that on the market place that have been built in the beta so that beta people can get a advantage over the new starters.

Also, it's beta, why would you build something like that in beta? Beta is supposed to be for testing the game (and playing a little) to make sure that it's working correctly for launch, it is not a place to build/construct things that you want to use in the released game.

{After Re-reading my post}

In fact I've turned myself off the idea of players keeping anything from the alpha/beta unless it's transferred to only exists as a purchasable item/BP from a NPC vendor.

Reason for this is self-sabotage. You could create the greatest ship possible, with all the bells and whistle, then remove all the major elements that make it great. It's then uploaded to the NPC shop as the sabotage version that people can buy but cannot edit.

While you have the master BP and just add back on the elements required to make it great again, giving you a massive advantage over other people because you still have you great BP given that you can remember where all the elements go.

Giving the creations to the NPC vendor ONLY so that even the creator has to buy a Copy-BP, that is not editable, is the only fair way I can think about transferring over anything created in alpha/beta.

Someone somewhere till find a way to glitch/cheat through the alpha/beta transfer and give themselves an advantage in the start of the game. I want a fresh game where the only thing people have from the alpha/beta is there knowledge and that's it, anything else would give a unfair advantage.

Think about if you could transfer simple buildings/ machines that didn't do anything other than help you start the game off better. Like a very basic mining machine that allows you to get rare resources from day one?... Not Fair.

If you want something you built in alpha/beta that you can edit/sell..... Build it again.

nora,