AI Scripting

Hello all,

I would love some information on the ability to script AI. This Thread didn't offer all that much in the way of what all would an AI would be capable of, though NQ-Nyzaltar stated that two different forms of scripting would be possible (Didn't want to necro-post). I am wondering if the AIs could be advanced enough to support voice commands as well as responses to those commands. Not only this, but say I would like to have an AI unit be in charge of a Security unit or system to prevent hostile entities from entering certain areas. This would of course need to check for any IFF signals from incoming ships attempting to dock with the facilities, or even before this.

Furthermore, would it be possible to have an AI in control of scanning to detect those incoming ships at the maximum range of the scanners, and report findings verbally or through some form of text-based system?

Sorry, I know it's a lot of questions for a system that's probably still in development. Just trying to plan ahead, you know?

Hi and i see it's your first post. Welcome to DU, enjoy your stay.

Funnily enough I was just reading through some DevBlogs and this one might interest you: https://devblog.dualthegame.com/2015/09/18/lua-script-and-distributed-processing-units/

There is another couple of posts about the place, but that is the main LUA one I think. There was a quote from Nyz that pointed out that the current possibilities of LUA and DU would allow you (if you have a good enough home made LUA script) to produce self-replicating AI.. so basically AI will be able to do everything given that you can script them properly.. 

Hope that helps, if I find anything more on my travels through the forums i'll come back and edit... :)

Hi and i see it's your first post. Welcome to DU, enjoy your stay.

Funnily enough I was just reading through some DevBlogs and this one might interest you: https://devblog.dualthegame.com/2015/09/18/lua-script-and-distributed-processing-units/

There is another couple of posts about the place, but that is the main LUA one I think. There was a quote from Nyz that pointed out that the current possibilities of LUA and DU would allow you (if you have a good enough home made LUA script) to produce self-replicating AI.. so basically AI will be able to do everything given that you can script them properly.. 

Hope that helps, if I find anything more on my travels through the forums i'll come back and edit... :)

Thanks for the welcome! I just found DU on MMO.com's facebook postings, seems fun.

Self-replicating AI you say? Hmmm, could you then in theory create a virus that you could then upload to an enemy system and have it replicate across the devices in it....oh man the ideas.

x:beyond the frontier comes to mind

the xenon

certainly, this would be our empire's emergency plan.

just letting AIs create an unstoppable force and steamroll through the enemy lines.

of course with a kill-switch.

Pffft... a kill switch.. Why would you want to spoil the fun, just let them go. You could end up with an entire planet solely populated by robots and if you tried to land they would get you... :)

Pffft... a kill switch.. Why would you want to spoil the fun, just let them go. You could end up with an entire planet solely populated by robots and if you tried to land they would get you... :)

Replicators, anyone? This could be a dangerous force to unleash in a game.

Replicators, anyone? This could be a dangerous force to unleash in a game.

I was thinking more of the movei Virus from 1999, movie about AI that just kept replicating and getting stronger trying to kill the humans... Scared me to death when I was 11, but looking now it's laughable ha...

Link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OEFf78HegJg&ab_channel=MovieTrailerGraveyard

pretty sure that will be one of the first things someone will do.

find himself a cave, build a prototype of a self-replicating machine and release it to the world to send it harvesting resources. then as soon as the resources are collected its programmed to build a copy of itself.

each of these things would be equipped with a weapon too and be able to travel through space. maybe have FTL too.

they would be programmed to automatically scan for and harvest resources and replicate and shoot at everything besides the creator. the creator would also have a kill switch hardcoded into the program just for the sake of it.

then the first thing replicates for the first time, then there are 2, these will then again look for resources and replicate.

however if the game requires to have a stationary building for such advanced constructions, then that would be impossible.

Alright, so here's some ideas I've come up with (I'm still in the process of learning LUA scripting, you'll have to forgive me if I'm missing something). This is something I'm working on for members of the C.E.F.

Essentially, it would be multiple scripts running throughout the fleet. My only concern, of course, is that they wouldn't allow scripts from multiple sources to call or contact each other, which is possible. This also assumes that IFF is going to be something you can reference while scripting, or from scanning the area. We already know that you will be able to have Eve-like ratings for other entities, such as neutral, unfriendly, or friendly. Assuming we can call to those functions, and output a vocal or text statement, then something like this should be possible:

1. Core.lua (I'm just using the .lua to represent different iterations of the script across multiple "devices").

This is the common core which prompts all other scripts to run, usually aboard the main fleet vessel. Alternatively, if you didn't want one single vessel in charge of all of your operations, this could be on a smaller support ship.

2. Member.lua

This assigns the ship that this script is running from a "key".

3. Security.lua

This script would be aboard the security part of your fleet, which would then call to approaching member.lua files, checking the "key" generated from that source against a list loaded in...

4. Syssec.lua

Essentially just a database of allowed "keys". Security.lua would use this to check incoming keys to make sure they match accepted personnel. If you wanted, this could just be part of Core.lua.

Then, when a check passes, it would allow the incoming ship/vehicle/vessel to dock/land/whatever without triggering a system wide alert. However, if the incoming check fails, you could move on to having a script send out an alert to all nearby allied vessels through the security script. It could also forward power to defenses such as shields, weapons, etc. Essentially, just an automated way to enter into "red alert" throughout a fleet. I'm still working on getting the Member lua working, Core should be working at this point, but testing it is proving difficult without the other parts. It executes just fun, but that's meaningless if it doesn't do much.

• 4 weeks later...

AIs will be the only thing to save the solo players from the pirate guilds we all know will be around and most people will need some forms of auto-aim and fire controls for when there offline because it would suck to return to everything being gone (sorry for the neer double using a cell phone and thought I had accedently deleted the other

Thanks for the welcome! I just found DU on MMO.com's facebook postings, seems fun.

Self-replicating AI you say? Hmmm, could you then in theory create a virus that you could then upload to an enemy system and have it replicate across the devices in it....oh man the ideas.

Umm.  If such a functionality were to exist I believe it would use a specifically designed skill and equipment like ECM in E.V.E.  As cool as it seems to create a LUA program to infect your enemies systems, keep in mind that would be an ACTUAL computer virus and bring with it all the troubles that plague computer systems in the REAL world. :mellow:

Umm.  If such a functionality were to exist I believe it would use a specifically designed skill and equipment like ECM in E.V.E.  As cool as it seems to create a LUA program to infect your enemies systems, keep in mind that would be an ACTUAL computer virus and bring with it all the troubles that plague computer systems in the REAL world. :mellow:

True, which is why there would probably be limitations.

• 2 weeks later...

Good God please, no replicators, if someone would manage to do that, I think, that could be The End of the game, real Doomsday in virual world  :lol: Unless enough players unite and wipeout such an infection.

But real war against Replicator swarm... Mmm B) Player made content in the purest form :D 

The replicator swarm apocalypse event always seemed questionable to me. We have billions of self-replicating machinery attempting to eat anything in it's path for reproduction, their called organisms, and the world is largely fine with it, mostly because being made of certain things require that you'd consume those specific things, and also makes you particularly nutritious for other things that share the same goal, which you might be able to restructure yourself to defend yourself from, but then you'd need even more specific things to be made out of. Largely the problem comes from imagining a nanoswarm that can make any material out of any material, which would actually be a horribly impractical energy-intensive design that would make it even harder for it to reproduce. I for one welcome our robotic accidents into our fauna with open arms... As among the very few animals that won't be as likely to chew on my arms.

It's quite likely the same basic rules - of having to gather specific materials for specific components - will apply to anything we build in DU.

• 2 weeks later...