Aliens?

jrhod99

I don't know if this is completely off character for this type of game but I was wondering what if you had some sort of Aliens. If not intelligent Aliens I was wondering about having Non-intelligent native animals. How much of the ecosystem of these new planets will differ from what we know today. I'm sure there will be local plants and animals but what if they were more than just props in the game. The reason I put this is the lore and backstory is because I was thinking that maybe part of the history could talk about unmanned probes sent to the planet before the Arkships landed and how they interacted with the environment. Also will humanity be destroying the new planets they land on or will they be protecting the wildlife on them or will that be up to the players?

Thanks, Jared

I don't know how practical it would be to have intelligent aliens coexisting with humans. We'll have alien animals (I believe) that can be used as resources. Maybe the intelligent ones will act like non-playable characters, having the same priorities as humans? Who knows.

With the freedom already guaranteed in D.U., I really believe that you can choose what to do on your planet. Whether it be terraforming, destroying, or protecting, it's up to us.

(how epic!)

Yes, this will up to players to do what they see fit with the planets they colonize. Of course, nefarious ways of treating a planet might have consequences (just like it would in the real world). We are thinking about implementing possible natural penalties for players or organizations degradating or slowly destroying a planet. But nothing is written in stone yet.

And concerning potential Aliens in the game... Well, I can't tell you much right now.

Because if I do, there's a high chance that some men in black with sunglasses would come and take me away to have a "nice little chat" with me  :o

So in short, I would only say: Maybe, maybe not  :ph34r:. Let's just say that before any Arkship landing, alien life (flora & fauna) has been spotted on some habitable planets but no intelligent/sentient alien race has been spotted so far.

• 3 weeks later...

Kiklix plans to play an Alien under a human skin? This might be troublesome...   :o

(just joking)

It's not actually human skin. Its a nanotech synthetic adaptive polymer. It allows for more than one form (not simultaneously) and allows for deep infiltration into the ranks of....ohh dear I have said too much. If you have any weird dreams of abduction or red marks on your arm, ankle, legs or neck after you wake tonight...it was not me.

• 2 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 10 months later...

I do hope there is some form of Npc being in the game to give pve for those who wish it more.

I had suggested an ark AI going Skynet, killing it's passengers and creating drones to spread through the galaxy. Maybe there's an alien race trying to battle them off as well.

Maybe the little grey watching us saw out plans and tried stopping us. The destruction of earth was their plan after all, we were deemed to dangerous. They weren't able to stop all the ark ships, and on some the AI protected itself and went rogue to take out the greys after its passengers were killed.

If they can get the sandbox off the ground. and then possibly some wildlife.. 

Once they iron out the kinks and have a good revenue stream, I could see them adding a civilization in a corner of the universe for us to find.  :)

If they can get the sandbox off the ground. and then possibly some wildlife.. 

Once they iron out the kinks and have a good revenue stream, I could see them adding a civilization in a corner of the universe for us to find.  :)

I wouldn't say no to somekind of an active PvE presence within the game. ;o

I think I'll only care about having some grand presence of AI/NPC in the game if there are not enough players to play the game and keep it feeling occupied. But then again i'm going to be playing with people hopefully after i join a alliance. So i won't be alone anyway :)

But I do agree that i would prefer the core game and functions to be fleshed out and polished as much as possible before deviating to do NPC/AI unless they are already in the plans.

nora,

My only concern is without ratting (pirate hunting for the non Eve guys) where will the money come from for players. Since there won't be missions and no player made currency. Even if combat guys can make money from hired guards there's no initial start money. There won't always be guard duties or an enemy to fight so what will strictly combat guys do.

I know that's off topic but hopefully they post a blog on money taps and sinks soon so we can get an idea of what their thinking to open discussions.

My only concern is without ratting (pirate hunting for the non Eve guys) where will the money come from for players. Since there won't be missions and no player made currency. Even if combat guys can make money from hired guards there's no initial start money. There won't always be guard duties or an enemy to fight so what will strictly combat guys do.

I know that's off topic but hopefully they post a blog on money taps and sinks soon so we can get an idea of what their thinking to open discussions.

Sell them in the basic market on the first Arkship or something ?.. I'm sure there was something somewhere about there being a standard market for trade on the Arkship, but now typing about it i think it was me who suggested something like that somehwere.. I've read far to many posts to remember now.

But if i'm correct then there will be some initial way to get money from the Arkship, and past that... well... where does any money come from when there is none on a fresh start?. Maybe we can make it, or it is actually a material, like if we wanted to sell gold IRL, we get a value from it.

nora,

Sell them in the basic market on the first Arkship or something ?.. I'm sure there was something somewhere about there being a standard market for trade on the Arkship, but now typing about it i think it was me who suggested something like that somehwere.. I've read far to many posts to remember now.

But if i'm correct then there will be some initial way to get money from the Arkship, and past that... well... where does any money come from when there is none on a fresh start?. Maybe we can make it, or it is actually a material, like if we wanted to sell gold IRL, we get a value from it.

nora,

I dont wanna get into it to much since its the wrong thread. Hopefully we see something from the devs soon on the faucet and sink mechanics they are thinking of. If not maybe we will have to start a thread to prompts it. 

They did state one currency but no mention of how they will control the amount. And that currently there will be no player made currency, at least not to work on the markets like the game currency. 

My concern was that we know there will be no missions, and if there is no ratting then you eliminate the 2 standard ways of introducing money into a game where you can control its flow. And without regular NPC ratting or combat missions for the combat oriented pilots to run, there will be no steady way for these players to make money, let along occupy their time. Sure they could go attack enemies, but a few guys against a large group will likely get wiped. And if they loose their ship then what do they do. I would expect bigger alliances to eventually pay salaries to their combat guys, but what about until then. 

NPC's give them a method until then. Furthermore having a standard set of npc enemies gives people a metric to test new ships on and against, with a much lower risk of loss than random PVP against an unknown force. 

I have heard one of the arkships has been compromised. Some unknown type of parasite infested all human in the ship. The arkships last message has been, they found a suitable planet. Can't be far off...

• 3 weeks later...

Seems like the Arkships will barely have enough room for people - I doubt there will be many animals brought along from Earth. They'd be several thousands of years old and not hooked up for cryosleep.

The sim world for "alpha" might not have alien fauna. When we truly leave the Arkships, those worlds will have alien fauna.

Many of the worlds will also have alien ruins. May take us a while to uncover "intelligent" aliens who are still alive.

Aliens? YES.
Friendly aliens? NOPE
INTELLIGENT HOSTILE ALIENS? NOPE NOPE
Beastial alien creatures that SOMEHOW MYSTERIOUSLY exist in all the planets of the galaxy the Arkships parked at? Absolutely. Make them scary and you got your PvE experience set.

• 3 weeks later...