Life support module.

SzaryWilk

"Life support module" it is used to support life in environments where there is no oxygen. On planets with no atmosphere, moons, on space ships and space stations, structures constructed underwater.

We build the module with semi-finished products. To work  we need  a oxygen and electricity.

1) such module in "individual version" we can add to our spacesuit. Small version with a small supply of oxygen and energy to operate. When we have a helmet on our head we can use it.

2) on space ships and space stations we can use "individual version" or........we can build a larger version of "Life Support Unit". We do not need to wear a helmet on the head then. We can set it up somewhere on ship or station board. But......there are three classes of this module.

- class I - produces the oxygen needed for 5 people,

- class II - produces the oxygen needed for 20 people,

- class III - no limits.

If we have a huge ship and 30 people from our clan is on boerd we can put a few class I modules or one class III.

"People" factor we can replace factor surface (square meters/m2) of ship or station.

For this module we can produce oxygen tanks. They may be of different sizes. We can trade them.

"Life support module" it is used to support life in environments where there is no oxygen. On planets with no atmosphere, moons, on space ships and space stations, structures constructed underwater.

We build the module with semi-finished products. To work  we need  a oxygen and electricity.

1) such module in "individual version" we can add to our spacesuit. Small version with a small supply of oxygen and energy to operate. When we have a helmet on our head we can use it.

2) on space ships and space stations we can use "individual version" or........we can build a larger version of "Life Support Unit". We do not need to wear a helmet on the head then. We can set it up somewhere on ship or station board. But......there are three classes of this module.

- class III - no limits.

If we have a huge ship and 30 people from our clan is on boerd we can put a few class I modules or one class III.

"People" factor we can replace factor surface (square meters/m2) of ship or station.

For this module we can produce oxygen tanks. They may be of different sizes. We can trade them.

If you want full on life support systems your going to have to have airlocks and the like.. 

Oxygen on the other hand wouldn't have a 'area' where the oxygen is, it would just have a room full of oxygen that supplies x amount of people... maybe thats what you meant..

This would require sealing parts of your ship off to allow airtight areas and biodomes on planets that don't have oxygen and a means to keep creating oxygen. I like how Space Engineers does it's oxygen for the most part, if it was similar to that i wouldn't be upset with it.

But now your talking about life support, what about radiation, heat, cold, hunger, gravity (i know gravity has been talked about)... what about all the other ways you need to support yourself... ?

- class III - no limits.

If you want full on life support systems your going to have to have airlocks and the like.. 

Oxygen on the other hand wouldn't have a 'area' where the oxygen is, it would just have a room full of oxygen that supplies x amount of people... maybe thats what you meant..

This would require sealing parts of your ship off to allow airtight areas and biodomes on planets that don't have oxygen and a means to keep creating oxygen. I like how Space Engineers does it's oxygen for the most part, if it was similar to that i wouldn't be upset with it.

But now your talking about life support, what about radiation, heat, cold, hunger, gravity (i know gravity has been talked about)... what about all the other ways you need to support yourself... ?

I would really like to see some form of lifesupport. I like what you laid out here, there should be a limit to what each module can handle. But there has to be the ability to detect closed rooms.

And what if your ship is damaged in battle and theres a breach? You would have to seal off compartment, but would that also isolate life support to some areas? You may want to distribute the systems across the ship. 

As far as other support system, radiation would be interesting but more difficult to handle. However heat and cold should defiantly be handled by life support. Oxygen is needed per person and energy based on the space you are trying to heat or cool compared to the environment outside. Most of the others would be some separate system.

From the dev blog story I beleve they are already looking at hunger heat and cold as components for survival. I would only assume that we would get artificial gravity as well.  It seemed the Ark ship had it based on the description of the ship design and how it functions in space vs on the planet. However any new technology could be explained by the AI doing R&D for 10k years. 

I'm not saying that life support shouldn't be implemented / used, but keep in mind the technical concerns in your thinking: Nyzaltar clearly stated that managing air, rooms and breach would not be possible for now because it requires to much processing.

But we could suggest something like "every person in a ship consume oxygen from a tank or something". Then you need to think about how do you consider that someone is in the ship ? or what about an enemy boarding the ship ? will he consumes oxygen ? and so on...

That may be an interesting game-play, but we need to think about it more precisely.

Regards,

Shadow

• 2 weeks later...

I'm not saying that life support shouldn't be implemented / used, but keep in mind the technical concerns in your thinking: Nyzaltar clearly stated that managing air, rooms and breach would not be possible for now because it requires to much processing.

But we could suggest something like "every person in a ship consume oxygen from a tank or something". Then you need to think about how do you consider that someone is in the ship ? or what about an enemy boarding the ship ? will he consumes oxygen ? and so on...

That may be an interesting game-play, but we need to think about it more precisely.

Regards,

Shadow

And of course this ties in with again, the character creation part of the game. Because if there's life support modules managing air consumption onboard a ship or in a building, is there really a need for spacesuits and oxygen helmets? Of course it's not planned for alpha, but I'm hoping that in the future players will be able to wear more than just suits :)